Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using a Sinar P3?  (Read 22900 times)

Paul Barker

Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 01:47:39 pm »

I stand corrected about CMYK, maybe I'm thinking about Leaf, or leaf V8 software which, IIRC, needed another $1500 piece of software for CMYK.

Regarding tethered shooting, two people came, one from Lastra, the UK importers and one, I guess from Sinar. They could not demo tethered shooting. Only shooting to the card or internal drive, plugging the firewire to transfer the files to computer and then viewing in CS. A very expensive card reader!. This was about 18 months ago, they said they were working on it so hopefully they have solved the issues now. Apart from that there were a few other issues that put me off like the Dalsa chip being, at that time, a stop too slow and the screen on the back was about the worst I'd seen. I repeat, 'at the time'. As we know all this stuff is a moving target and we can only make purchasing decisions on what we need and what we are offered 'at the time'.

Back to the P3. Yep, confirmed today by my dealer, no problem with the V mount back. Just costs a few $$$. While I was there I had another play with the Linhof. Decided that's not in the running. Although geared on all movements you needed to apply locks. Some of the knobs were too small. The gearing seamed almost to fine. If I wanted a sliding back, it gets in the way of the rise back knob (curable with some bendy extensions apparently), All to fiddley.

However, he did have an Arca F Line Metric with Micrometric Orbix there and I did take a shine to that. Some gearing, cross, rise and lens tilt which all seemed very smooth and fine enough. The swings were just friction but again very smooth, taught and seemed solid as a rock, even when just outside of the indent they didn't want to spring back in.

When the P+ backs are shipping I'll get a demo at the studio with the Arca. In the mean time, I'll have another play with my pals Monolith. I started this thread because the Ps are just second nature to me but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to another system (I'm just lazy and want an easy life:-), plus with Sinar prices what they are I could save a few $$$.

Paul

khwanaon

• http://
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 02:45:30 pm »

I stand corrected about CMYK, maybe I'm thinking about Leaf, or leaf V8 software which, IIRC, needed another $1500 piece of software for CMYK.

Regarding tethered shooting, two people came, one from Lastra, the UK importers and one, I guess from Sinar. They could not demo tethered shooting. Only shooting to the card or internal drive, plugging the firewire to transfer the files to computer and then viewing in CS. A very expensive card reader!. This was about 18 months ago, they said they were working on it so hopefully they have solved the issues now. Apart from that there were a few other issues that put me off like the Dalsa chip being, at that time, a stop too slow and the screen on the back was about the worst I'd seen. I repeat, 'at the time'. As we know all this stuff is a moving target and we can only make purchasing decisions on what we need and what we are offered 'at the time'.

Back to the P3. Yep, confirmed today by my dealer, no problem with the V mount back. Just costs a few $$$. While I was there I had another play with the Linhof. Decided that's not in the running. Although geared on all movements you needed to apply locks. Some of the knobs were too small. The gearing seamed almost to fine. If I wanted a sliding back, it gets in the way of the rise back knob (curable with some bendy extensions apparently), All to fiddley.

However, he did have an Arca F Line Metric with Micrometric Orbix there and I did take a shine to that. Some gearing, cross, rise and lens tilt which all seemed very smooth and fine enough. The swings were just friction but again very smooth, taught and seemed solid as a rock, even when just outside of the indent they didn't want to spring back in.

When the P+ backs are shipping I'll get a demo at the studio with the Arca. In the mean time, I'll have another play with my pals Monolith. I started this thread because the Ps are just second nature to me but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to another system (I'm just lazy and want an easy life:-), plus with Sinar prices what they are I could save a few $$$.

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul, I can assure you, you can shoot thetered with the eMotion: this issie was at the begining. solved since ages!

Aon

yaya

Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 03:13:15 pm »

Paul

Paul,
Just leave this CMYK thing alone  All raw converters these days do CMYK - some better some worse but they all convert to CMYK

Aon,
The guy wants to upgrade his Phase back that he's happy with to a Phase with Live Preview to go on a P3 or an Arca and you are trying to "sell" him an eMotion that hasn't got Live preview?  

It is amazing how every time someone here is asking a question about a certain product (P3 in this case) he gets a million other answers about other products...

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 03:15:31 pm »

Paul

"I don't think so Tim" to quote the "Al Borland" of Tool Time fame.

Leaf capture V8 most definitely has CMYK output, and has had for years. I use it all day everyday. They offer another program called Oxygen, which has lots of prepress functions as an option, but it is not necessary (I have it anyway) to output CMYK. You may be thinking of a much older version that worked in conjunction with Colorshop, but that is ancient history my friend.

Cheers
Jason Berge
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Paul Barker

Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 06:33:34 pm »

OK OK, all right already... they all do CMYK. Yes I was thinking about Oxygen. I'm sure they all batch process to multiple locations in different formats with nice little picture Icons as well .

Paul, I can assure you, you can shoot thetered with the eMotion: this issie was at the begining. solved since ages!

Aon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure you are right (like I said 'at the time'), but when someone wants to sell me a system that is a step back from one I've been using for years I'm hardly inclined to part with the money. I guess it was just bad timing on their part. We can only make decisions on what we see at the time. When Yair demo'ed the Aptus to me I liked it a lot but 'at the time' the battery wouldn't fit when mounted on a 555ELD and the V10 software was flakey, I didn't like V8  and I wanted a stop faster sensitivity. All fixed and much better now I'm sure (so maybe put me down for a Leaf Hy6  ).

Aaannnyyyyway.... I wasn't really looking for thoughts on Raw processing but view camera experience. If the quality of the P1 live  preview turns out to be crap..... for my use... then that is another issue.

Cheers
Paul

khwanaon

• http://
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 10:49:44 pm »

Paul,
Just leave this CMYK thing alone  All raw converters these days do CMYK - some better some worse but they all convert to CMYK

Aon,
The guy wants to upgrade his Phase back that he's happy with to a Phase with Live Preview to go on a P3 or an Arca and you are trying to "sell" him an eMotion that hasn't got Live preview?  

It is amazing how every time someone here is asking a question about a certain product (P3 in this case) he gets a million other answers about other products...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yaya,

not trying to "sell" an eMotion: trying to correct a claim with my best knowledge, and that is that to answer to the question if the eMotion can shoot thetered/un-thetered. Yes it can.  
Further: the eMotion is planed to get "Live" image.

Aon

Dan Gaye

• http://www.studio75.com
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 11:11:02 pm »

[/QUOTE]I own the Sinar p3 and for me it's the best camera for use with digital backs, more better when you stay in the system and use a sinar back (I use the SB 54H) and the liquid cristal shutter for live preview

Christopher, I have the 54m back that I'm using on a Hasselblad and was told that I need the LC shutter for live preview to work. Have you ever used it on a MF setup? How large is it. I haven't found any info on it but was told the price tag was about $2,500.

Dan

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 04:03:11 am »

Quote from: Dan Gaye,Nov 14 2006, 05:11 AM
Christopher, I have the 54m back that I'm using on a Hasselblad and was told that I need the LC shutter for live preview to work. Have you ever used it on a MF setup? How large is it. I haven't found any info on it but was told the price tag was about $2,500.

Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85066\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Dan, for the LC shutter I payed 1700 EUR, it's 25 cm x 11 cm large. My other camera is a Mamiya RZ, and I never use the LC shutter on this camera, because focusing with its view level finder and magnifier ist very exact, I have tested this.
When you use the LC shutter on your Hasselblad, you have to use the mirror lockup. I paste you a screenshot of the sinar instruction for Hasselblad 503 CW in German.

Dan Gaye

• http://www.studio75.com
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 08:42:41 am »

Dan, for the LC shutter I payed 1700 EUR, it's 25 cm x 11 cm large. My other camera is a Mamiya RZ, and I never use the LC shutter on this camera, because focusing with its view level finder and magnifier ist very exact, I have tested this.
When you use the LC shutter on your Hasselblad, you have to use the mirror lockup. I paste you a screenshot of the sinar instruction for Hasselblad 503 CW in German.

I have a swc-m and a flexbody that require me to pre-focus on the ground glass then attach the back each time I compose, it is not a good work flow. The other bodies I have (elm) work fine.

Thanks,

Dan

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
Anyone using a Sinar P3?
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 09:22:49 am »

I have a swc-m and a flexbody that require me to pre-focus on the ground glass then attach the back each time I compose, it is not a good work flow. The other bodies I have (elm) work fine.

Thanks,

Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, that's another thing. For working with the SWC it would be very fine, but you need a power supply, or like i have, a sinar akku, and a Hasselblad adapter for the LC shutter. When it's very bright outside, you need a gray filter.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up