Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D image quality benefits?  (Read 4788 times)

plinden

H3D image quality benefits?
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:03:10 am »

Has anyone, who has worked with an H1/H2, had any experience using an H3D? I'm interested if you have noticed any image quality improvements because of the "digital correction for color aberrations". Thanks.

Peter Linden

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 06:06:28 pm »

Peter,

It's not the H3D per se, it's really the latest release of the software/firmware (4.6.3), which works equally well with the H2 with any of the CF backs as well as the H2D/H3D, in conjunction with the H series lenses.

If there's a dealer near you should go demo the system. There are two boxes in the exposure window of Flexcolor that when checked, allows one to turn the corrections (CA and lens disrtortion) on and off, so you can see the corrections applied. Pretty impressive. I've already shot a job with the new software and an H2 with CF-22 back, and it's wonderful to be able to correct the distortion so easily. Plus I am able to go back in my archives and correct earlier shots done with my CF back and the H2 if I so choose.

Best,

Richard

Has anyone, who has worked with an H1/H2, had any experience using an H3D? I'm interested if you have noticed any image quality improvements because of the "digital correction for color aberrations". Thanks.

Peter Linden
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:37:51 pm »

There are two boxes in the exposure window of Flexcolor that when checked

it is actually the 'texture' window/box where you need to tick for correction.

One thing I would like to know though is how I can leave the barrel correction tab to stay ticked
The chrom. aberation tab once ticked, stays always ticked.

And yes Peter I have find an enormous difference when I do tick those tabs, especially the barrel correction, absolute 100% straight lines in every situation and for every lens used.
It is going to safe me hours of work and I will be delivering faultless work.

cheers
Marc

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:47:38 pm »

Good Morning (if you're in Taiwan),

Right you are Marc, texture window, my error. As for locking DACII "on", I haven't found a way to do that yet. That might be a suggestion for a future FC version if, in fact it doesn't exist.

Richard

it is actually the 'texture' window/box where you need to tick for correction.

One thing I would like to know though is how I can leave the barrel correction tab to stay ticked
The chrom. aberation tab once ticked, stays always ticked.

And yes Peter I have find an enormous difference when I do tick those tabs, especially the barrel correction, absolute 100% straight lines in every situation and for every lens used.
It is going to safe me hours of work and I will be delivering faultless work.

cheers
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

KenRexach

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 08:46:39 pm »

Peter,

it's really the latest release of the software/firmware (4.6.3), which works equally well with the H2 with any of the CF backs as well as the H2D/H3D, in conjunction with the H series lenses.
 There are two boxes in the exposure window of Flexcolor that when checked, allows one to turn the corrections (CA and lens disrtortion) on and off, so you can see the corrections applied. Pretty impressive. I've already shot a job with the new software and an H2 with CF-22 back, and it's wonderful to be able to correct the distortion so easily. Plus I am able to go back in my archives and correct earlier shots done with my CF back and the H2 if I so choose.

Best,

Richard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is really amazing, like a built in DxO software. So I guess hasselblad profiles their own glass. Even the best glass still has some CA and distortions which are quite tough to sometimes completely correct and time consuming.

Thats One of the reasons im torn between the H camera/back solution and the Phase One, which has better long exposure capability. If the hasselblad could make exposures of more than 30sec (up to a few minutes would be nice) it would be a no brainer.

zzzone

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 03:17:34 am »

That is really amazing, like a built in DxO software. So I guess hasselblad profiles their own glass. Even the best glass still has some CA and distortions which are quite tough to sometimes completely correct and time consuming.

Thats One of the reasons im torn between the H camera/back solution and the Phase One, which has better long exposure capability. If the hasselblad could make exposures of more than 30sec (up to a few minutes would be nice) it would be a no brainer.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For me this has been a no brainer for years.  Why why why won't everyone include this feature within their software.  I have been calibrating lens for years primarily to remove distortion, though CA can be included.  Generic lens factors are available for most 35mm lenses but you can do your own with the help of a panoramic tripod head.  CA I just tweak the slider in CS2.  I know I know the Hasselblad correction is way above this league but it is the old 80:20 syndrome.  You can put 20% of the effort and achieve 80% of the result.  To achieve the last 20% takes 80% of the effort!!

I wrote to Canon years ago asking about distortion correction and chromatics within their software. Their files could be improved big time with this correction applied within the raw conversion.  In fact more so I believe than any improvement we might see with the 1Ds Mk3 over the Mk2 and Mk1 for that matter for many uses.

Why do we have to rely on plug ins and third party software to sort this out.  This really should be part of the manufacturers software, like Hasselblad have done. The Phase One guys are coming to my studio tomorrow because I have just purcahased a P45 and I shall certainly be pratting on about this same subject with them as indeed I have been for years with anyone that will listen.  For all this money and all this technology I really shouldn't have to rely my little 29$ distortion correction to vastly improve my files. ( [a href=\"http://www.kekus.com/software/plugin.html]http://www.kekus.com/software/plugin.html[/url] ).  DXO really shouldn't exist.  I have nothing against them at all, in fact they are filling this great gap in the market that shouldn't be there.  I know it all gets complicated with variations of focus and aperture.  But I don't believe just a simple correction tick box in the software would be that difficult

I really hope that Capture One might address this issue for all lenses, at least for MF.  I hate to think what my workflow might grind down to with P45 files!!!  What joy.  If Phase were to take over DXO, now that sounds good.  

I can't see any reason why this facility is not included.  Indeed it may even come to the point that I might regret not buying the Hasselblad H3D if the rest don't follow their lead in this respect.  And that combined with the improvements you will see in the DSLR market, particularly if Canon were to adopt this strategy will bring further pressure to the MF market.

I think is enough for a sunday morning!!

Regards Steve

SeanBK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:27 am »

Steve,
         Nikon NX software does indeed correct the CA & wide angle distortion with simple sliders, and it does work amazingly well. I am sure Canon will follow the suit.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 06:49:42 am »

It's also interesting to consider what this will do to lens design in the future.

For years Hasselblad struggled with 38/40mm lens design on their V series. The older 40mm designs had moderate distortion but resolution dropped very quickly towards the edges. Consequently they went to the extreme solution of offering a radical alternative, the 38mm Biogon which needed to be mounted on a dedicated body as there was no back clearance for a mirror. A few years ago they released the new 40mm IF, resolution is exceptionally high but at the price of extreme distortion. It seems that digital image correction really will allow us to have our cake and eat it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up