Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rangefinders..voigtlander TTL, Leica...others  (Read 4439 times)

Pete JF

Rangefinders..voigtlander TTL, Leica...others
« on: November 02, 2006, 12:47:52 pm »

HI folks,

Im looking for nice system in the rangefinder family. My ultimate choice would be a Leica m6 TTL but im not sure I can afford it right now.

I tend to use the 28mm lens more than anything and Im also interested in having decent auto flash capability, one that handles fill situations well.

So...a modernish rangefinder with TTL, and about a 2.8 - 28mm that has decent frame line accuracy. Im interested in a system, other than leica that has great lenses. Anyof you rangefinder fiends have an answer for this?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:48:38 pm by Pete JF »

Stephen Best

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:41:24 pm »

HI folks,

Im looking for nice system in the rangefinder family. My ultimate choice would be a Leica m6 TTL but im not sure I can afford it right now.

I tend to use the 28mm lens more than anything and Im also interested in having decent auto flash capability, one that handles fill situations well.

So...a modernish rangefinder with TTL, and about a 2.8 - 28mm that has decent frame line accuracy. Im interested in a system, other than leica that has great lenses. Anyof you rangefinder fiends have an answer for this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A Contax G1 or G2 with the Biogon 28mm/2.8 may meet your needs. These are going dirt-cheap on eBay. The Contax flashes work TTL but I'm not sure about third-party flashes. I've never used flash on my G1.

Pete JF

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:35:32 am »

Thanks Stephen...Those do seem like a lot of bang for the buck. Im going to look into getting my hands on one to see how it feels. Nothing around town right now.

What about the Voigtlanders..anyone have any experience with the later models?

Any issues to keep my eye on with regard to G2 lenses? Are there different lens models with different performance levels such as auto focus...etc? Specific lenes made for G2 only?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 11:13:16 am by Pete JF »

ken_bennett

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:13:14 pm »

Voigtlander offer a wide selection of RF cameras, and they seem to come up with something new every week. The latest models use the Leica M mount, so you could certainly buy Leica glass and put it on a less expensive body for now.

Steven Gandy seems to have a good reputation on the Voigtlander front. He also has a ton of information on other RF systems on his site:

http://www.cameraquest.com/

If I were looking for an entry into the RF world, and I were concerned about future lens compatibility, I would take a hard look at the Voigtlanders. The Contax G series has a set of terrific lenses -- awesome, in fact -- but the autofocus system makes it a different user experience than the Leica, et al.

--Ken B

Stephen Best

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 04:33:19 pm »

The Contax G series has a set of terrific lenses -- awesome, in fact -- but the autofocus system makes it a different user experience than the Leica, et al.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In reality, it's not much different in use to a Leica M. You position the marked area in the centre of the viewfinder over what you're focussing on, press the shutter button halfway, recompose and shoot. It's surprisingly accurate. Neither will allow you to see depth of field, but you can dial in the focus distance numerically (eg. to the hyperfocal). The main difference is that the Contax G always gives you a full frame view but the Leica M uses brightlines which allow you to see what's just outside of the frame ... less useful at longer focal lengths. Some of my Leica mates made the transition to the Contax, some didn't.

Contax's big mistake was to release the G2 too soon after the G1 which killed off the collector market, hence the low prices these go for on eBay. Moreover the fact that Contax is no longer around ... or are they? I'm sure this won't be lost on Leica with their M8 and it will be interesting to see how they deal with sensor advances, also future offerings like (presumably) the Zeiss Ikon Digital.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:58:52 pm by Stephen Best »

Pete JF

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 08:47:31 pm »

Well, spoke to Stephen Gandy today, he was taking a walk and a bit out of breath at times while he offered up the deal on Voigt cameras and what was available. Folks seem to love these lenses..similar to the Contax crowd who also love the respective lenses.

I actually got my hands on a G2 today at a local supplier who was selling their demo. I liked it. The focus is fast and it generally felt pretty good and responsive. A lot of folks who have used leica complain about the dimness of the g2 viewfinder...didnt bother me a bit. Tempting to dive in and get a 28 with the g2. As Stephen said, very good prices can be had.

the Voigtlanders seem to have a loyal following as well and next spring they are introducing a body with a magnification that is more suited to the wide angle crowd. Hmm, played with an m6 as well today and the body is doeable with current funds...the lenses? damn, hefty tag on those.

I may just go for the Contax and then spring on the new Voigtlander coming next spring.

I need a nudge i spose. Whats the track record on contax as far as durability goes? They seem well built/solid. With company gone im wondering about repairs etc.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:19:19 am »

I found the shutter sound of the Voigtlanders to be as noticeable as a 20D which the guy in the store brought down for comparison. A more damning inditment for a rangefinder I don't think you will find! I really enjoyed the Contax G2, the ability to program in the hyperfocal distance and then switch from that to AF and back using a switch on the back is sheer genius! The prices are incredible too given that these are Contax glass...

JJP

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 07:27:28 pm »

Why not check out the new Sigma (with foveon sensor) that's go the onboard equivalent 28mm lens?
jj
JJ

Pete JF

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 12:34:58 am »

JJP,

I've thrown some thought at the Sigma..not to much info available yet, it seems to be another work in progress?

The panasonic Lumix2, M8, Ricoh GRD, canon g7 and others. I just don't see these cameras being where they need to be, for me, right now. I'm wary of a whole host of shortcomings and prefer not  to even get my head wrapped up in digital cameras of this sort that aren't where they should be. the m8's to expensive and headed for obsolescence weeks ago. the others just dont cut it for one reason or another.

Im content with film and a simple set up. I scan all my formats on an Imacon 646 and love the results. I can keep on doing this very happily. matter of fact, I prefer it in some ways because it forces me to edit more carefully, i don't end up screwing around with images that aren't really successful.

Thanks for the re POM..are the Voigt shutters loud? I have no experience with the reference to a 20d, never heard one click in my life.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 06:10:55 am »

they are certainly not rangefinder quiet!
Pages: [1]   Go Up