Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminous Landscape in film  (Read 5827 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Luminous Landscape in film
« on: July 06, 2005, 02:24:47 pm »

I was thinking the same thing!  The use of color was amazing, especially in the forest scenes - the contrast of the trees to the charactors was great!

BobMcCarthy

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:17:19 am »

I believe its a different director. Its more of a love story than a fight film. Still there's a bit of martial arts in the film, I didn't think it was over the top though?

I was pointing out the remarkable cinematic beauty, done in an unusual way which I thought qualified it as "Luminous landscape" subject.

I don't know how they filmed the picture. The colors, contrast, saturation, etc. have never looked so pure in traditional film to me. I wonder if it was shot in some high res digital.

bob

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 11:53:53 am »

It's by far better than all those.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 03:34:57 am »

I have watched it yesterday, and indeed the outdoor scenes are beautifully filmed.

BobMcCarthy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 10:08:48 am »

I rented a DVD this weekend and I was totally blown away. An unusual topic for the group, but I found this Chinese film to be one of amazing beauty from a Luminous Landscape viewpoint and wanted to share it with the group. I found this director tended to place absolutely beautiful scenics in his film in an unusual way. Most if not all western films pan the action and tend to cut in to closeup and back out long.

This director set up a scene in many instances as a still scene of amazing beauty and the characters acted within the scene. It was like watching a LL "still" scenic with a small portion of the scene allowing action. He did not pan or zoom the lens during many of the scenes. The impact was amazing and quite beautiful.

If you elect to watch it, most of the "action within the still" is in the second half. The action scenes are also done beautifully though in the unique style of eastern movie making.

All in all an amazing product.

Bob

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 03:48:28 am »

Is this in any way significantly different from e.g. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Hero", and other recent movies from that part of the world?
Jan

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 09:35:08 am »

I believe its a different director. Its more of a love story than a fight film. Still there's a bit of martial arts in the film, I didn't think it was over the top though?

I was pointing out the remarkable cinematic beauty, done in an usual way which I thought qualified it as "Luminous landscape" subject.
Well, this was exactly why I asked the question I did, because I've seen "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Hero" and a few other movies with similar qualities, but I haven't seen "The House of Flying Daggers".

Both those movies have wonderful cinematic beauty (with various landscapes involved), and Hero stretches it a bit further.
Jan

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 04:57:58 am »

It's by far better than all those.
Thanks, I'll try to get it on DVD rental, then. I'll probably learn something, again.
Jan

Marshal

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 03:48:25 am »

Zhang Yimou directed Hero and HoFD as opposed to Ang Lee who directed CTHD. All are beautifully shot motion pictures. But between Hero and HoFD, the latter is my favorite of the two.

But CHTD is the best of all three martial arts/romance epics. Ang Lee also directed The Road Home I believe. A very different movie, but very beautiful and poignant nonetheless. And the common thread they all share is the beautiful & talented actress Zhang Ziyi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up