Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Color Printer, for Photos on cards?  (Read 5110 times)

KSG Find Anawers

Which Color Printer, for Photos on cards?
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:03:49 pm »

Some one please help me out, I am looking for a med format color printer, to start printing greeting cards (photos) able to print on heavier weight media as well; very limited funds available. this printer needs to be low cost maintenante. Do you think the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 would be good enough to start up. does anyone know whether other more common brand mediaswould be compatable? Please excuse my typo's I am somewhat dyslexic but who does not have something going on? thanks KSG

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:38:28 pm »

The Pixma Pro 9000 would work quite well.  The only drawback is the small cartridge size(13ml), so you have to moniter the machine while it's printing.  If you'd like to save 100-200.00 try the Canon 9900, it's the 9000's predecesor and virtually identical in output (the inks will fade a bit sooner though).  I print postcards a hundred at a time on both printers and get good consistant results.  If you're looking for card stock, have a look at the options Red River sells.

KSG Find Anawers

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 09:27:27 pm »

Some one please help me out, I am looking for a med format color printer, to start printing greeting cards (photos) able to print on heavier weight media as well; very limited funds available. this printer needs to be low cost maintenante. Do you think the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 would be good enough to start up. does anyone know whether other more common brand mediaswould be compatable? Please excuse my typo's I am somewhat dyslexic but who does not have something going on? thanks KSG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

KSG Find Anawers

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:30:40 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
App How many 4 by 6 greeting card type photos do you think I might get with the Canon Pixma Pro 9000. One more inportant thing the printer has to work with Adobe Photoshop CS 2 as well. TY for info. KSG

haefnerphoto

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:47:14 am »

I don't know how many cards you'll get, there are too many variables.  There is no problem with Canon printers and CS2.  One advantage of the Canon printer is the speed at which it prints, it's by far the faster printer with great quality.

KSG Find Anawers

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 06:58:07 am »

I don't know how many cards you'll get, there are too many variables.  There is no problem with Canon printers and CS2.  One advantage of the Canon printer is the speed at which it prints, it's by far the faster printer with great quality.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Finally I figured out how to reply to your kindness. Do you know where to buy the Canon Pixma Pro 9000? I guess if I keep several inks on hand the small amount of ins tanks will not be too big of an issue compaired to what I've had with Windows XP Home, Office XP Pro 2003 or Adobe Photoshop CS 2. something has caused numerious problems within MY hp PC, still trying to solve those. Thank you, Darlene

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:04:17 am »

I also print Greeting cards of my work, after making the investment in an inkjet printer with a CIS attached, to do so, I now think it would have been smarter to go with a color laser printer.  HP and Minolta make very good printers and I have seen cards printed with these machines and the quality was very good.  I think the start up costs would have been less, and the cost per card would have been less also.  When my printer dies, a color laser will replace it.

This option is at least worth a look

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

KSG Find Anawers

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:34:23 am »

I also print Greeting cards of my work, after making the investment in an inkjet printer with a CIS attached, to do so, I now think it would have been smarter to go with a color laser printer.  HP and Minolta make very good printers and I have seen cards printed with these machines and the quality was very good.  I think the start up costs would have been less, and the cost per card would have been less also.  When my printer dies, a color laser will replace it.

This option is at least worth a look

MDIJB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, for advice, Would a laserjet printer be better than an ink jet? I have limited funds, lost money on other trials.  Darlene

haefnerphoto

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:32:37 am »

I've just checked CompUSA's website, they indicate a price of 499.00 and free shipping.

KSG Find Anawers

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:55:55 pm »

I've just checked CompUSA's website, they indicate a price of 499.00 and free shipping.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you think the Canon IPF 5000 would be a better choice, than the Pro 9000 possibily more cost effective with the inks in the long run?

I have had so many problems with printers in the past and lost money; I want to choose the right printer, based on the info from folks that have actually used some of these printers. although if I choose the 5000 instead of the canon 9000, I will need to save some more money for the 5000, I have near the total amount.
You have been so kind to reply to my qusetions, thank you again, Darlene

haefnerphoto

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 08:57:55 pm »

I haven't worked with the 5000, obviously it's 1300-1400 dollars more.  The small ink cartridges do give you fits because they need to be replaced often.  If all ink cartridges were to be full you could probably print 100 cards (an educated guess) before the inks that are used the most start to run out.  Somewhere on Red River Paper's website is a cost per piece that includes paper and ink from different printers, perhaps you could have a look there to see when it becomes cost effective to own the 5000.  Not to complicate the matter but one of HP's newer 13x19 printers has cartridges that I believe are 27-28 ml in size.  How many cards do you intend to print at one time?

KSG Find Anawers

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 09:49:38 pm »

I haven't worked with the 5000, obviously it's 1300-1400 dollars more.  The small ink cartridges do give you fits because they need to be replaced often.  If all ink cartridges were to be full you could probably print 100 cards (an educated guess) before the inks that are used the most start to run out.  Somewhere on Red River Paper's website is a cost per piece that includes paper and ink from different printers, perhaps you could have a look there to see when it becomes cost effective to own the 5000.  Not to complicate the matter but one of HP's newer 13x19 printers has cartridges that I believe are 27-28 ml in size.  How many cards do you intend to print at one time?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope to have a greeting card business, I am dyslexic, my partner will edit my errors in each card. I am very good at writting from the heart of any situation for any type of inspirational card. So when I get all of the PC Software(s) issues all solved and the right printer then we will go for it, hoping in time the demand will grow with leaps and bounds. Thanks for your advice Darlene
New Question, can some of the rest of you knowlegable folks advise me on the 5000, I've looked over most of the posting about this printer, many very good with a few headaches, would the canon imageproggaf ipf 5000 be the best choice for my future venture into the market, from what I can tell the iks would be cost effective, even with the inks that are used in set-up. I need good quality printed photos for my cards. I'm choosing a wide format because the possibilities are endless within the inspirational type gifts etc. I think a wide format printer will be an assect within many of the future possibilities ahead. I cannot go beyond the cost for this printer, lost so much already. Thanks so much for all of those posting their thoughts. Darlene
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:28:58 pm by KSG Find Anawers »
Pages: [1]   Go Up