Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One software: processing incoming images  (Read 7816 times)

william

Capture One software: processing incoming images
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:01:41 am »

I hope this is a straightforward question that someone can answer, but I can't figure it out.  The Phase One backs (I have the P30) obviously don't do RAW+JPEG.  Yet there are times when I'd like to be able to burn a CD of JPEGs to give to the client right at the end of the shoot rather than having to make arrangements to deliver a CD later.  So I'm wondering whether C1 can process incoming RAW files as I'm shooting and render them as JPEGs in the "processed" folder, which I could then immediately burn to a CD.  Moreover, if it can do so, can I set processing parameters to be applied to the JPEGs so produced (i.e., curves, saturation adjustments, etc.).  For now, I'm putting aside the strain that this may put on my system for C1 to be capturing, creating previews, and processing JPEGs while I'm shooting tethered; I just want to know if it's possible and, if so, how to do it.  

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

charles_m

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:30:48 am »

yes it is possible. in processing parameters choose Quickproof which will generate the jpgs much faster. capture one can process in the background while you continue to shoot. i would advise a hefty computer, at least a G5 box with plenty of ram. all this too slightly dependent on how fast you shoot. best to take a capture one class, if they're still offered, at one of the big events. von thomas used to teach one. probably possible too to set a hot folder where all new incoming images will be autotagged for quickproof processing. and yes, all processing parameters can be set in advance by clicking the camera icon in the software that sets it up for all following images.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

I don't believe there is a way to make the images process as they come into C1 Pro (except for hiring a teenager to hit the process button each time an image appears).  There are settings to make your images come into C1 pro with adjustments you've made to a previous image.  

The quickproof process setting will process much more quickly than the regular processing.  But you will still need to select a group of images and hit the process buttom several times throughout the day.  You can also choose a colorspace like sRGB in the Quickproof, but leave you HiRes images as Adobe1998 if you like.

It is unfortunate that you cannot use the images in the "Previews" folder of your session.  With the Leaf software the screen previews are available to just grab right out of a preview folder like you are wanting to do.  The Phase software is using some sort of proprietary file for the screen preview.  You could ask Phase One about the possibility of changing this.

erikhillard

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:09:10 pm »

I don't believe there is an auto process in C1 Pro.  Personally I find that a good thing.  If you make any adjustments to your RAW files after exposure those changes won't be updated in the JPEGs made at capture.  This is the main reason I don't shoot RAW+JPEG with Canon.  

The Quickproof is the way to go w/C1 Pro.  (JPEG Preview in Leaf v10)  After each setup you can set the files to process.  You can enable and disable processing when you are shooting or not.  If you don't have a fast box you won't want to process anything while shooting.

The Quickproof JPEGs rip out very fast on my G5 Quad.  Its never a problem to give clients Low Rez JPEGs at the end of the day if you preplan (process the morning during lunch) and use Quickproofs.

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

digitalguy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 12:15:54 pm »

I don't believe there is a way to make the images process as they come into C1 Pro (except for hiring a teenager to hit the process button each time an image appears).  There are settings to make your images come into C1 pro with adjustments you've made to a previous image. 

The quickproof process setting will process much more quickly than the regular processing.  But you will still need to select a group of images and hit the process buttom several times throughout the day.  You can also choose a colorspace like sRGB in the Quickproof, but leave you HiRes images as Adobe1998 if you like.

It is unfortunate that you cannot use the images in the "Previews" folder of your session.  With the Leaf software the screen previews are available to just grab right out of a preview folder like you are wanting to do.  The Phase software is using some sort of proprietary file for the screen preview.  You could ask Phase One about the possibility of changing this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phase One does have a utility from what I have been told when I asked them about this a little while ago that can extract the previews right out of the raw files. A Phase Rep told me that it should be a download off of their site. It is called Preview Convertor and it is a new and very fast utility for exporting JPEG preview files from  Capture One on a MAC.  
It generates JPEG preview files approx 40 times faster than using QuickProof processing.

I will look on their site to see if there is a link and then post it.
Dg

erikhillard

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:25:34 pm »

Let us know if that application is available.  Sounds interesting.

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

william

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:54:45 am »

I don't see this utility on Phase's site; any further word?

Let us know if that application is available.  Sounds interesting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

digitalguy

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:52:22 pm »

I don't see this utility on Phase's site; any further word?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
\
I looked and it was not there either. I emailed support and they promised it will be up by Friday. If they let me know I will post the link right away.
Anyone heading to Photoeast?
If so are there any meet ups?

Dg

digitalguy

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 03:23:17 pm »

Here is the information for the convertor:

A small Mac utillity for extracing JPG previews is just released at http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/COforMac.aspx

This utillity can be used on a Mac to extract JPG previews from Phase One capture files.

By dropping the Phase One preview folder onto the Preview Converter application it is now possible to very fast extract all the previews as JPG files
stored in a seperate folder.

Please read the enclosed release note for further details.

Dg

william

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:12:56 pm »

Thanks, will try it soon.

Here is the information for the convertor:

A small Mac utillity for extracing JPG previews is just released at http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/COforMac.aspx

This utillity can be used on a Mac to extract JPG previews from Phase One capture files.

By dropping the Phase One preview folder onto the Preview Converter application it is now possible to very fast extract all the previews as JPG files
stored in a seperate folder.

Please read the enclosed release note for further details.

Dg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 04:40:38 pm »

Tried it!

Very fast and useful.

Willow
Willow Photography

william

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 10:04:18 am »

Just tried it -- it's VERY fast.  Took about 30 seconds to create 100 JPEGs  (which are being created from the previews already existing in Capture One for each shoot).

Tried it!

Very fast and useful.

Willow
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up