Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: M8 review  (Read 283936 times)

Stephen Best

M8 review
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2006, 05:34:30 pm »

The IR problem would be unacceptable in a reflex camera, but the M8 is not a reflex camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84950\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I fail to see what it is about a rangefinder that makes IR problems more acceptable.

If anything, the M8 may become a real magnet for B&W photographers. Any filtration they add in future or upgraded models is only going to detract from its original performance objectives.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:10:05 pm by Stephen Best »

Osprey

M8 review
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2006, 06:16:33 pm »

Think I've been here almost as long as you have.

As is reasonable, for posters who create their accounts only for the apparent purpose of flaming.

(These posters are, I hope, free to post again to disprove this appearance.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
M8 review
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2006, 06:49:09 pm »

I love all the fake accounts popping up   Too bad this forum doesn't have some of the sniffing tools that others do, it would be interesting to see who's really who

I don't have any plans to ever buy a Leica, so I really couldn't care less about the specific ramifications of the review.

I work in the manufacturing industry, and have direct connections to advertising both purchased and produced.  I've known for quite a long time that ANY review that wasn't as the result of personal purchace, is biased whether admitted or not, in some fashion (some way more obvious than others).  I guess I've just forgotten that so many people don't realize that fact.  I'm ten times more shocked at the rediculous 'backlash' this has caused, rather than the actual event.

The review was compensated for (as was every other review that I'm aware of to date).  Don't expect 100% fairness.  No, I'm not acusing anyone of being dishonest.  Certain judgements and decisions can be made honestly, but to a bias - big difference.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 01:50:54 pm by kaelaria »

jmoro

M8 review
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2006, 07:04:34 pm »

Sorry leica owners. Too bad about your crappy cameras.  Again.
But, if you were foolish enough to purchase a leica for 4800.00 (body only) you are not a photographer, you are a snob.  I use a 5 year old Finepix S1 Pro and a 4 year old S2 Pro.  Both have over 18000 images and NO PROBLEMS yet.  

Enjoy your new toys.  Maybe you can sit in your armchair and LOOK at your new Leica sit on the shelf.

J

I'll leave the bit of rubbish here, since I missed it when first posted. It'll serve as an example of what happens when one forgets to take ther meds in the morning. – Michael
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:44:50 pm by michael »

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
M8 review
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2006, 07:12:27 pm »

Sorry leica owners. Too bad about your crappy cameras.  Again.
But, if you were foolish enough to purchase a leica for 4800.00 (body only) you are not a photographer, you are a snob.  I use a 5 year old Finepix S1 Pro and a 4 year old S2 Pro.  Both have over 18000 images and NO PROBLEMS yet. 

Enjoy your new toys.  Maybe you can sit in your armchair and LOOK at your new Leica sit on the shelf.

J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great way to introduce yourself with your first post. Now we know what to expect. Perhaps you were looking for dpr? You might fit in better there.

- DL

Stephen Best

M8 review
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2006, 07:33:30 pm »

Perhaps you were looking for dpr? You might fit in better there.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't be too dismissive of DPR. This thread for example has more insights on the M8 IR issues than here:

[a href=\"http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1038&thread=20798476&page=1]http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...20798476&page=1[/url]

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
M8 review
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2006, 08:25:26 pm »

Yeah, don't equate fake accounts/dumbasses to DPR - it has a great volume of good info along with a great volume of trash, nature of the beast.  As LL grows, expect the same over time, it's just not there yet.

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
M8 review
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2006, 09:23:25 pm »

I wouldn't be too dismissive of DPR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85878\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree that there's some very informed and articulate people that still post there. It's just a shame that you have to wade through so much trash talk to find it. There's been shades of that here in the M8 threads - let's hope it doesn't get out of hand. And I realize that by even posting my original response I'm feeding the trolls.

- DL

vgogolak

• http://
M8 review
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2006, 10:51:27 am »

Great way to introduce yourself with your first post. Now we know what to expect. Perhaps you were looking for dpr? You might fit in better there.

- DL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure a psychiatrist would have a field day with some of the motivation, tone etc.

However, a simple suggest from another moderator in another forum may be appropriate here for such posts:

'...ignore them."

regards
Victor

vgogolak

• http://
M8 review
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2006, 10:58:48 am »

Actually stumbled on a group discussing pros and cons of the M8.

Seems they are finding a new "orange cast" on some standard black trash bags.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
M8 review
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2006, 11:45:45 am »

Actually stumbled on a group discussing pros and cons of the M8.

Seems they are finding a new "orange cast" on some standard black trash bags.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bugger. That's ruled out the M8 for my Masterwork "128 studies of black trash bags", then....
--
David Mantripp

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
M8 review
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2006, 03:43:15 pm »

I can't see an orange cast!

Just look like normal black bags to me.

Panorama

M8 review
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2006, 08:25:44 am »

No, we haven't overlooked the problem, but it appears that you have, and that you've just had a brutal wake-up call.

Welcome to the real world, where you can't expect perfection, but you'll always have to check, double-check and cross-reference multiple sources, if you want to make an even half-informed decision.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry Jani, but exactly what is the problem I overlooked? That I expected the the review or "first look" to reveal flaws? Yes, I expected more based on MR's previous reviews/introductions. I thought I was jaded and cynical enough, but I expected more here.

As for welcoming me to the "real world", I live there all the time. I live in the US which is a real world of hucksters, shysters, marketers selling vapor ware, etc.  I'm a far more discriminating buyer and photographer than you can imagine, but I still would like to believe that there are honest reports out there that can be relied upon.

Don't let my few posts here give you the idea that I'm new to photography or this site. And as for your comments about would I buy a, b, c; that's just crazy; I'd also never buy a $5k camera without more information, but I don't know anyone that's going to give me the camera for an extended period.

Besides, for your information, I actually briefly used the M8 a week before this "review" blew up so I'm not ignorant of the camera, it's features, abilities, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up