Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 GB SD cards in 1DSII  (Read 4361 times)

David R. Gurtcheff

4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« on: October 29, 2006, 12:33:52 pm »

I recently bought a 4 GB 150X Ridata Secure Digital card. I actually got if to use with the Leica M8, which I advance ordered. In the mean time, I decided to use it with my 1DSII, and it't won't format. Has anyone else used 4GB SD cards with this camera? I have a 4GB Microdrive which works fine.
Thanks in advance.  
Dave G

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:42 pm »

Dave this is well documented.  You can use the 4GB SD in the Mark II cameras, but you cannot format it in the camera.  Format it in the computer instead.  

If you have a problem formatting in computer due to the failed attempt to format in camera let me know.  There's a fix.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:47:04 pm by Nill Toulme »

David R. Gurtcheff

4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:59:33 pm »

Dave this is well documented.  You can use the 4GB SD in the Mark II cameras, but you cannot format it in the camera.  Format it in the computer instead. 

If you have a problem formatting in computer due to the failed attempt to format in camera let me know.  There's a fix.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I'll give formatting in the PC a try. I guess I thought that each digital camera formatted cards with some propriatory format.
Thanks again
Dave

Khun_K

• http://
4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 02:02:01 pm »

Dave this is well documented.  You can use the 4GB SD in the Mark II cameras, but you cannot format it in the camera.  Format it in the computer instead. 

If you have a problem formatting in computer due to the failed attempt to format in camera let me know.  There's a fix.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
My quick solution is using a Canon iXus700 that I keep aside all the time for quick P&S to do format the card and then put it back to 1Ds MK2.  I guess you can do this wiht most of the new small DC with no problem. I wondered what took so long for Canon to address such a seemingly easy firmwarw update.

David R. Gurtcheff

4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 02:21:46 pm »

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Thanks Nill. I formatted in the PC, and took two trial shots with the camera. It did indeed work. But when I put the card into my card reader, and tried to use the Canon File Viewing utility, it did not find the card. Don't know if its a software issue (Canon Utility), or card reader problem.
Thanks
Dave

Nill Toulme

4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 05:46:34 pm »

Dave I also have a vague recollection that some not-so-newish card readers will not recognize these cards.  I can tell you that the current Sandisk readers work fine with them.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

David R. Gurtcheff

4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 02:48:11 pm »

Dave I also have a vague recollection that some not-so-newish card readers will not recognize these cards.  I can tell you that the current Sandisk readers work fine with them.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82834\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks again Nill. I contacted the mail order outfit I bought it from, and they are allowing me to return it and get two 2GB cards, as I fear the M8 won't like this card either. Leica says they can use 4GB "HCSD" cards. My 4GB card apparently does not follow the "HCSD" specs, and is NOT marked HCSD.
Dave

Nill Toulme

4 GB SD cards in 1DSII
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:28:28 pm »

That's SDHC, a brand new spec, and I'm not sure whether any SDHC cards are actually shipping yet.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up