Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start with VJournals?  (Read 7988 times)

pjr

Where to start with VJournals?
« on: October 29, 2006, 12:49:19 am »

I am a enthusiast and trying to find video resources to learn photography.  So far Video Journal is the only major resource I could fine.  I was checking thru all the previews and don't know which issue to start with.

My question is,  Which issue should I buy first to start with?   I would like an issue which  concentrates on photo capturing more than the technical stuff.

Also are there any other resources that are similar to LLVJ.

thanks
pjr

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:45:14 am »

The Video Journals are not lessons, they don't teach you photography.  They are 'video journals' - people going on trips, using new equipment, interviews with people in the industry, etc.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 02:07:37 am »

The Video Journals are not lessons, they don't teach you photography.  They are 'video journals' - people going on trips, using new equipment, interviews with people in the industry, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That said... they are very informative and insiteful and often have very useful tips and How-To's. The digital blending [issue 6 or 7?] is a good example, as is the color management stuff, RAW workflow, printing tutorials, split ND lessons, Photoshop plug in recomendations etc. the list goes on.

I would say they are an invaluable aid to someone learning about photography as much as the Pro who enjoys the travel segments.

As for where to start - it doesnt matter as in the majority they are not sequential. Start anywhere as I gurantee you watch each edition at least 6 times anyway  

Personally I started with issue 14 and just worked my way backwards - but you could just as easily start anywhere. Have a look at the sample clips on the website and start with an issue that looks interesting and informative to you.

Hint - order one to 'suck it and see'. But... when you decide you love it [and you will] just buy the rest in one hit - its cheaper as Michael offers deals on the whole package on his website.

Enjoy - its brilliant educational, informative and entertaining viewing for the novice or Pro.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:10:35 am by JHolko »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

kaelaria

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 02:10:21 am »

I agree with all of that of course - but he specifically said he wants instructions on photography, not the tech stuff, so...

But hey, check this thread out, and you can get 1-12 to view, and buy what you want later if you see something you like: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=12476

pjr

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:25:21 am »

Thanks for the pointers.. I'll check out the option of renting..

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 11:06:57 am »

You really can't go wrong with any of the LLVJ but if I had to get one I'd get the Clyde Butcher episode or the fall in some ludicrous number of national parks in the rockies.

Steve Kossack makes some nice DVD's that show a given area (Yosemite and Death Valley) that are neat if you want to kinda know where to go.

A couple of interesting dvds on photographers are William Eggleston in the Real World and Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Impassioned Eye.

inspiration.in.print

• Inspiration in print Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:33:23 pm »

I am a enthusiast and trying to find video resources to learn photography.  So far Video Journal is the only major resource I could fine.  I was checking thru all the previews and don't know which issue to start with.

My question is,  Which issue should I buy first to start with?   I would like an issue which  concentrates on photo capturing more than the technical stuff.

Also are there any other resources that are similar to LLVJ.

thanks
pjr
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try [a href=\"http://www.radiantvista.com/dailyCritique/index.php]http://www.radiantvista.com/dailyCritique/index.php[/url]
The Daily Critique is a very good starting point and the video tutorials are very thorough on the explanation of every day photo terms and teckniques.

pjr

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:56:43 pm »

Wow.. thanks for  the great responses.  

Recently I bought a DSLR(Nikon D50) and spent some time playing around with it.  Now I understand the all the shooting modes of the camera  and  gained knowledge about what are the effects of Exposure Compensation/ White balance etc.  

After spending much time on learning the technicalities,  now I realized that in addition to technicalities I need to learn how to

1.  See where the picture is
2.  What the picture is
3.  Learning how camera sees it

So I was hoping that LLVJ can help in that area .  

I can use all the information I can get, to learn

thanks
pjr

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 08:59:05 pm »

So I was hoping that LLVJ can help in that area

IT WILL - And you will love it.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pjr

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:45:45 am »

ok..I went ahead and bought Issue#14.  Usually how long it takes to reach me?  The status of the order is still processing.

thanks,
pjr

kaelaria

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 10:50:00 am »

That entirely depends on what shipper you chose   UPS, a few days.  USPS...lol  good luck!

francois

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:44:17 am »

That entirely depends on what shipper you chose   UPS, a few days.  USPS...lol  good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83056\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And where you live!

Francois

pjr

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 11:51:29 am »

ok..got a mail saying that the order is shipped.  Lets see how long it takes to reach me.  I am in US,  so looking at other USPS delay posts it doesn't look encouraging.

pjr

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 02:21:20 pm »

To follow the Painfully Slow Shipping Saga, please look at my post on another thread here

Chris S

pjr

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 06:57:48 pm »

Today I got my DVD...watching it .

pjr
Pages: [1]   Go Up