Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morniing light  (Read 2831 times)

regken

Morniing light
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:20:07 am »

Hi,
It’s not always possible to be at a location to catch the morning light. Is it possible to duplicate that light in photoshop? I have searched every way I know and can’t come up with even a book written on the subject. Any ideas or am I looking for the impossible?

Regards,
Ken

howiesmith

Morniing light
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:54:26 am »

Hi,
It’s not always possible to be at a location to catch the morning light. Is it possible to duplicate that light in photoshop? I have searched every way I know and can’t come up with even a book written on the subject. Any ideas or am I looking for the impossible?

Regards,
Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82657\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think of morning light as that time just before sunrise.  The sun, while still below the horizon, lights the sky, making in effect a huge soft box that lights the subject.  Very diffused light.  The color of the light is also different.  I have found it impossible to change the quality of light in photoshop.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:55:23 am by howiesmith »

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
Morniing light
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:26:16 am »

Howie wrote:

making in effect a huge soft box that lights the subject
Nicely put!

Here in southern Ontario, morning light means a combination of warm colour temp., low sun angle so long shadows, and often atmospheric moisture/haze.

The light colour can be approximated simply by moving a slider in your raw converter to a warmer hue. Paintshop Pro even provides a colour temp. slider for JPEGs. In either case you're adding a yellow-orange cast.

The haze might conceivably be faked by opening Levels and moving the black point in Output Levels a bit to the right. Then by duplicating background layer, adding a slight Gaussian blur, changing the new layer's opacity to 50% and its blend mode to Luminosity.

For the shadows you're on your own... ;)

regken

Morniing light
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:41:23 am »

Thanks!

Oh well. It was a tought. Back to making my photosbetter by using HDR.

Regards,
Ken

howiesmith

Morniing light
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 12:04:53 pm »

Thanks!

Oh well. It was a tought. Back to making my photosbetter by using HDR.

Regards,
Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It would save getting up before dawn when it is usually colder outside than in bed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up