Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000 greyscale prints any good?  (Read 5052 times)

ronno

ipf5000 greyscale prints any good?
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:58:24 pm »

Would anyone care to comment on the above topic, and whether you see any issues with metamerism?

Thanks.

K.C.

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:39:34 am »

Have you read Michael's review or any of the other threads ?

An excerpt from Michael's review:

"The other area where the Canon surpasses the Epson is in grayscale range. The gray gradient shown on this test image has 20 segments. The Epson has trouble differentiating between the two very darkest segments, while the Canon clearly shows a distinct separation in the darkest tones.

This additional shadow differentiation is clearly visible as well in the test image's upper left panel, the one of the mother and child. In the Epson print the woman's body, clothed in a black leotard against a black background, is barely distinguishable. On the Canon print her entire body can be clearly seen. Quite stunning performance."

ronno

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:59:17 am »

Have you read Michael's review or any of the other threads ?....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I have read them.
And one reason I am asking is because Michael ended with this:
"absolutely neutrality is less important to me in my B&W prints than it is for some, so I'll leave this topic for others who have a horse in that race, to debate the fine points."

So I am asking about the finer points of B&W now that people have been using this printer for a while.

Best,
-ron

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 05:48:35 am »

I, too, am interested in the replies to this question. I've read everything I can find on the subject.

I'm considering the Canon iPF 5000 and the new HP offerings. At first blush, it looks like HP is really going after neutral black and white printing. I've been tempted to get an HP 9180 for black and whites up to 12x18 until I decide whether the Canon or the HP Z3100 is the way I should go for larger color prints. It's likely that 16x24 will be large enough for my needs for a while (though I'd love to print larger at times), so that keeps me thinking of the Canon. Of course, then I consider both the smaller HP and the Canon 5000 since the HP 9180 is pretty affordable and my b/w needs tend to be 12x18 or smaller.

Man, this is a frustrating period for those of us in need of upgrading our printers sooner rather than later.  

Cheers,

Dale

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:03:18 pm »

Well this thread is like many others about this printer, there's not much response.

I can tell you this. Image Print for the iPF5000 is going to be demoed in New York this week at PHOTOPLUS. It'll be available by the end of November.

Ron you could check them out and see what kind of B&W output they're getting. I'd be willing to be it's damn good and neutral.

ronno

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 11:17:57 pm »

I can tell you this. Image Print for the iPF5000 is going to be demoed in New York this week at PHOTOPLUS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll try to get to the show this weekend and I'll report back here whatever I find.

-ron

serf

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:22:04 pm »

If you go, please ask if it will work on an Intel Mac Pro!  Thanks.

I'll try to get to the show this weekend and I'll report back here whatever I find.

-ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marcmccalmont

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:07:18 am »

Would anyone care to comment on the above topic, and whether you see any issues with metamerism?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm happy with the B&W prints that I have printed so far. I've printed a lot more color than B&W though. More metamerism with the fiber based gloss papers than the matt photo rags or Fuji Pro (high gloss).  Send me a photo that you are familiar with and I'll send you a couple of prints on different papers for comparison. Or I can send you a couple of prints with one of my images. I use the 16 bit PS plugin so send me a 16 bit rgb file.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

ronno

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 04:37:14 am »

Send me a photo that you are familiar with and I'll send you a couple of prints on different papers for comparison. Or I can send you a couple of prints with one of my images. I use the 16 bit PS plugin so send me a 16 bit rgb file.
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very generous offer Marc. I'll send you a file soon.
Thanks a lot!
-ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up