Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phase back on arca-swiss 6x9  (Read 2358 times)

arossphoto

phase back on arca-swiss 6x9
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:16:02 pm »

I just made my first post here about a Phase back on an Arca-Swiss. I realize now I put it in the wrong forum. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough and posted in "Digital Cameras, Backs and Shooting Techniques" when it should have been here in the "Medium Format Digital Backs and Photography". Using the word "Backs" in both forums is a bit confusing ;-)

Here's the link to my post and if anybody here has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=12818

Thanks very much,

Andrew

P.S. If the moderator wants to move my original post and delete this one, please feel free.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 05:18:02 pm by arossphoto »

MattLaver

• mattlaver.com
phase back on arca-swiss 6x9
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:54:08 am »

The Arca 6x9 uses an adapter plate that fits in the rear frame and holds the film or digital back. Different film backs, by different manufacturers such as Horseman, need different adapter plates, and the same is true of digital backs. You would need an adapter plate that is specific to the mount  of back you are using on it such as Contax, Mamiya, or Hasselblad H/V.  The plate is specific to the mount, not the back manufacturer so a Contax fit plate will allow you to use any Contax mount digital back, from Phase to Leaf to Sinar etc.

The adapter plates are made by Arca themselves so you would need to order one from them, or via your dealer.

Keep in mind this is a fixed mounting solution, so no sliding function as seen in other options. The benefit being closer lens mounting for wides. The disadvantage being you have to take the back with plate off the camera to use a ground glass screen if you like to compose that way.

The other issue is availability. I've been trying to get a Contax mounting plate for my Arca 6x9 for seven months now with little success. I hear of others who have managed though so it is possible.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up