Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: Images to bright.  (Read 2840 times)

Dinarius

Problem: Images to bright.
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:37:07 pm »

I shoot a lot of fine art for catalogue reproduction. Images are processed on PC.

I use a Gretag Macbeth CC all shots.

The images are processed in Adobe 1998 and corrected using a combination of adjustments in ACR, followed by Curves and Hue/Sat in CS2.

I then end up with four of the six grey patches (white, the two middle greys and black) set to their exact RGB values.

The RGBY patches are similarly corrected.

All values are set as per the table in this link.........

http://www.babelcolor.com/download/RGB%20C...olorChecker.pdf

Scroll down to p.5.

e.g. the Red patch is set to 155, 52, 59.

The Curves and H/S settings are then saved and applied to all other images.

This is colour correction strictly by numbers. As Fraser says, when you do it this way, you might as well be using a B&W monitor. True.

My problem is that my client says that the images are too bright on his three MACs.

Given that I am working blind; i.e. I am processing afterwards, without sight of the actual artworks, I have to rely on RGB values only.

What could be wrong? Is my method flawed? Could it be the fault of my client's MACs? I know nothing about MACs.

Obviously, this is a gamma (brightness) issue. There is no problem with the colour. i.e. If they reduce the brightness on their screens, the images look fine.

But, I just want to be sure that I'm not the one at fault.

Thanks.

D.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:38:06 pm by Dinarius »

David White

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:10:51 pm »

Are you both calibrated the same?  Both using 2.2 gamma on the monitors?  How were the exposures made?  Sounds like a big mismatch somewhere.
David White

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 03:02:27 pm »

Are you both calibrated the same?  Both using 2.2 gamma on the monitors?  How were the exposures made?  Sounds like a big mismatch somewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82541\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Personally, I think that their calibration (or lack of it) is the problem - at least in terms of what their viewing on their monitors. I'm going to bring my EyeOne Match with me next time I see them.

But, they're also having a problem with printing - on their desktop printer mind, NOT offset printing.

As well as knowing nothing about MACs, I know very little about printers. My line of work is entirely offset printing.

I'm told that MACs come with  some sort of calibration software built in to OS10. Is that correct? Is it any good? What settings should it be set to?

Many thanks.

D.

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 03:21:02 pm »

Also make sure you are embedding the profile in your output image.

- DL

Dinarius

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 05:52:37 pm »

Also make sure you are embedding the profile in your output image.

- DL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don,

Just to be sure to be sure.....! ;-)

If you mean, is the ICC Profile box ticked (and indictating Adobe 1998) in the Save As dialog every time I save a TIFF, then yes.

Thanks.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up