Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: closing of DMF  (Read 11322 times)

BJL

closing of DMF
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 11:39:00 am »

1. unless you're a wedding guy, honestly, who would really desire a mamiya 645 camera?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As far as I know, Mamiya has been the top selling and most profitable medium format *film* camera maker for many years, with both Hasselblad and Rollei going through repeated near bank-rupcies, buy-outs, restructurings and downsizings from the seventies on. The healthy part of "Hasselblad" now is mainly a joint project of Fujifilm and Imacon, with Hasselblad providing mostly a marketing, distribution and customer support system.

Maybe you are right about Mamiya being desired mostly by "wedding guys"; then again, maybe a large proportion of medium format users are "wedding guys". Wasn't it those "wedding guys" who made the Pentax 645 system a success, despite the refusal of Teutonic made medium format cameras and lens loyalists not wanting to touch it with a ten foot cable release?

BJL

closing of DMF
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 11:54:49 am »

There is no such thing as an "H3" body.

If you want a platform for a non-hasselblad back you can buy an H2.

Despite rumours to the contrary the H2 is alive and well, the H2D will be discontinued
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81872\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know, and that is my point. In a sense there is an H3 body (the backs and VFs are removable) but that body is only to be sold as part of one of several H3D system kits, the H3D-22 or H3D-39.

I can imagine that H3 body, Hv6, and such all being sold only in kits that also include a D back, while the H2, 6008AF and such are the only options still sold "body only". Given the existence of the 6008AF as a vehicle for customers who use film only or are not yet upgrading to a new digital back, I am not as sure as some are that the new Hv6 body will be available separately.

Instead I suspect that soon enough, most or all new D backs will be designed to use extensive, proprietary communications with the body, VF and lenses, and thus require new bodies supporting those same communications, ruling out "max and match" between brands, or between new backs and older bodies.

Nothing I have read so far about the Hv6 suggests instead that it will be available "body only".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:55:42 am by BJL »

khwanaon

• http://
closing of DMF
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 12:06:57 pm »

Nothing I have read so far about the Hv6 suggests instead that it will be available "body only".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the Hy6 WILL be available "body only": this comes from a current promotion running in Asia currently "get the 6008 now and swap to the Hy6 when available", incl. one lens (no Digital back to purchase with this kit).

Aon

Nick_T

closing of DMF
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 03:01:59 pm »

. I have an old 202FA which still is as good as when it was new some 10 years ago but it's totally obsolete since no digital backs exists to it.

For around 200 euro 'blad will modify your 202FA to work cable free with a CFV back or you could put a CF22 or 39 on it with the Kapture group cable:

http://kapturegroup.com/imacon/imacon.html

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

PhaqueName

closing of DMF
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 03:25:11 pm »

For around 200 euro 'blad will modify your 202FA to work cable free with a CFV back or you could put a CF22 or 39 on it with the Kapture group cable
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i was at fotocare the other day. they sold there first back to a 202 or 203 owner. the camera body needs to go back to sweden, so they said, for the modification. i inquired about use with the cfv hassie back, with the 200 series; i do not know about other backs. he said the modification takes at least a month, and did not let me know the price. i agree -- the 200 series is a most amazing tool, but i left there thinking that it was too risky to take the plunge with it, into digital. it seemed tailor-made for opportunities for lockups and/or error messages. none of that is based on fact; just a gut feeling. i think the 200 series is best left with film.

narikin

closing of DMF
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 12:20:35 pm »

1. unless you're a wedding guy, honestly, who would really desire a mamiya 645 camera? i mean really. be serious. reminds me of the schoolyard, when you'd pick teams, and there'd be one runt guy left to choose, that no one else wanted -- zits on his face, bony knees, and ran with a limp. that kid's name was mamiya 645. phase is really blowing it if they solely get in bed with mamiya. but sadly, it might be their only choice.

excuse me, but this is naive BS.

Mamiya are a great company and make some of the finest optics out there. I'd rather have a Mamiya 80mm on my 645 than the Fujiblad equivalent any day.
the Mamiya 7 beat all comers in independent tests as the finest MF lenses out there (bar NONE, including vintage Zeiss glass on Rollei and Hasselbald)

This is not a personal bias - yes I used to have a 7, but now am Contax/Phase.

Once Phase get it rolling with Mamiya and release a ZD2 with integrated 39Mp sensor, or a reworked 645AF 3, I will seriously consider buying in. I hope its soon.

BJL

closing of DMF
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 12:30:16 pm »

excuse me, but this is naive BS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Agreed, but now that I think about it, why are we bothering discussing with someone who agenda is hinted at by both the extreme claims and the user name, which reads phonetically as "Fake Name"?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up