Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Metadata - Time and Date  (Read 3564 times)

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
Changing Metadata - Time and Date
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:52:04 pm »

Unfortunately I forgot to set the clock in my camera at my last wedding I shot.  I was using two cameras and one was correct but the other was off.  Obviously I would love to organize the photos sequentially (this would help with the slideshow as well as just delivering my photos in order to my clients) but right now the times are all off.

Main Question:
Is there any way to globally add a few hours to the metadata in Adobe Bridge to assign correct metadata to all my photos so that I can sort them by time?  Or any workarounds?

And while I've got your ear!
Other Questions:
1) What's the best way to resize a batch of jpegs?  I've been using Image Processor in CS2 with a small sharpening action applied to each picture.  However it appears the the sharpening is occuring before the resize which to my mind seems to be the wrong order of operation.

2) I'm using a D2x and shooting in RAW so dealing with thousands of images take a long time. In fact, just creating thumbnails and previews takes a long time.  I'm using a 1.8ghz G5 desktop with 2gb of Ram.  I want to upgrade to a computer with an Intel chip and I'm just wondering if any of the new computers, even a laptop will be much faster than what I have.  Would more ram on my computer give me some extra speed? And yes, I am aware that CS2 isn't binary yet, but for everything else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eli

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:31:16 pm »

Is there any way to globally add a few hours to the metadata in Adobe Bridge to assign correct metadata to all my photos so that I can sort them by time?  Or any workarounds?
No, as far as I know, Bridge isn't quite that advanced.

You'll need some other third party software for that, but at the moment, I can't think of any that does this particular job easily.

I would suggest exiftools or similar Unix-based command line tools, but whether you'd find them useful depends on your technical skills.

Your problem is one that I'd probably want to solve myself once in a while, so maybe I'll end up making that piece of software myself, but don't lose any sleep waiting for me.

1) What's the best way to resize a batch of jpegs?  I've been using Image Processor in CS2 with a small sharpening action applied to each picture.  However it appears the the sharpening is occuring before the resize which to my mind seems to be the wrong order of operation.
If you create your own action for resizing and then sharpening, and use File->Automate->Batch..., you should be fine.

2) I'm using a D2x and shooting in RAW so dealing with thousands of images take a long time. In fact, just creating thumbnails and previews takes a long time.
If you're referring to Adobe Bridge, yes, this is a known problem.

Adobe Lightroom is a lot faster, at least for Canon raw files.

I'm using a 1.8ghz G5 desktop with 2gb of Ram.  I want to upgrade to a computer with an Intel chip and I'm just wondering if any of the new computers, even a laptop will be much faster than what I have.
Any Intel Core Duo based CPU will most likely be noticeably faster, as long as you're running programs that are either Intel-specific or universal binaries.

Would more ram on my computer give me some extra speed?
It might, sinced more RAM could be used by the OS for caching, or by Adobe Lightroom, Bridge, Photoshop et al for their own image caches.

And yes, I am aware that CS2 isn't binary yet, but for everything else?
CS2 is definitely "binary", but it's not a universal binary, which means that it runs well on a PowerPC-based Mac, but not on an Intel-based Mac.

CS3, which I expect will arrive in February, March or so, will be a universal binary, unless Adobe has lost it completely.
Jan

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:35:29 pm »

For other question 1:

M$ Picture !t has a very simple batch resizing tool.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:24:47 pm »

Here's some command line utils to view/change exif data:

http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/html/features.html

Downloads available for multiple platforms

hth - John
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:56:27 pm by Joh.Murray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up