Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Hasselblad H series that bad?  (Read 14552 times)

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Is the Hasselblad H series that bad?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 12:21:45 am »

I definately agree with not going to B+H to try something. They are great to buy from if you know exactly what you want, but you won't be able to spend quality time with a product there, especially if they are busy.

Here's a crazy thought: IF you have a car here in NYC, drive out to Hasselblad in NJ, mid-day wo/traffic probably 30-40 mintes from the city (I work here and I've done the drive when I got my lenses upgraded). BUT, I would first call over there and ask if you can check out the camera, find out what working backs they have, tell them you want to fire off some test shots you can take with you, etc...

Good luck.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 01:52:14 am »

i and a number of people i persoanlly know are not fans of fotocare. i break out in hives whenever i think of that place. pro-oriented, they try. knowledgeable. . .er. . . .NOT.

as RicAgu once said on this forum:

"I would rather spend the rest of my career shooting with a Holga than to give a dollar to Calumet or Jeff Hirsch's Fotocare."

due to a number of bad experiences at fotocare, i understand how he feels. i wouldn't spend a plug nickle at that place. many friends and associates of mine agree with me. we steer clear.

pp
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi PixPop,

Who do you recommend in NYC?  Is there really only one place in NYC that sells Phase?  Living in LA I had these grand notions of Phase/Leaf dealers on every corner of the city.

pixpop

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 10:40:50 am »

Hi PixPop,

Who do you recommend in NYC?  Is there really only one place in NYC that sells Phase?  Living in LA I had these grand notions of Phase/Leaf dealers on every corner of the city.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi eric, to tell the truth, i don't make a habit of recommending dealers and i almost never make negative statements about dealers in public forums. i made an exception in this case because i thought the people (and manufacturers) on this forum deserve to know that some of us have had very bad experiences with jeff hirsch's fotocare and we therefore (sometimes out of necessity) go out of our way to purchase elsewhere. basically, i like to purchase as much as i could online. manufacturers such as leaf and phase should take notice that they would do well to sign up other dealers in the nyc area maybe not on every corner but at least one or two others. btw i did purchase my phase from digital transitions in nyc and i am planning to purchase my next phase from them. so far, i haven't had any bad experiences with them and i for one don't find them pushy. if they ever do turn sour, i will have no problem purchasing my phase elsewhere.

pp

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 12:05:21 pm »

ATTENTION!

Save your self’s from any indications & favoritisms with regards to any Camera/Lenses/DB/Software and solely decide by your own choice.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:05:32 am by Caracalla »

KenRexach

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 06:54:44 pm »

Hi again:

Thanks for the replies.

I have been searching for more info and comments online and I have made a few choices:

Back:

I am between the phase one P21+ and the P30+, the 21 seems like a great deal at $12k. (the 30 is 5k more)

Camera/Lenses:

Hasselblad H1 with 35mm, 50-110mm and 120mm macro lenses.

I have been using the Phase RAW software for my canons for a few years and have had good results with it. I also need PC compatible gear.

Dont know if buying the H1 as a kit with the 80mm lens and film back is worth the extra expense.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 07:06:35 pm »

Dont know if buying the H1 as a kit with the 80mm lens and film back is worth the extra expense.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ken...i have been shooting digital for years...the one thing you always want to have is a film back..just in case...i have used mine once, because the client wanted film...but if the back fails somewhere...i can always just slap the film back on....

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »

I started with the same setup 35mm, 50-110 and 120mm macro. I have since added the 210mm but that is the least used lens for me.  I elected not to buy the 80mm and film back kit and do not regret it. mark

Hi again:

Thanks for the replies.

I have been searching for more info and comments online and I have made a few choices:

Back:

I am between the phase one P21+ and the P30+, the 21 seems like a great deal at $12k. (the 30 is 5k more)

Camera/Lenses:

Hasselblad H1 with 35mm, 50-110mm and 120mm macro lenses.

I have been using the Phase RAW software for my canons for a few years and have had good results with it. I also need PC compatible gear.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 10:18:31 pm »

I know it is dangerous to comment on seeing jpgs on a web site, but what I miss in many of the images I see from the H Hasselblad is the 3-d effect that people comment on with the contax 645. Images I have shown with 175kB files have elicited "wow what a 3-d look" from my contax645, even the old Kodak back, but certailny  with the P25.

I cannot say I see that "3-d" in any of the H images, even those Michael shows here on the site (they frankly look flat to me). Of course it is extremely difficult to see with such compression, but I do miss the old contax images. Sorry Michael!

I could have switched many times, but this is one aspect of the Zeiss (design)  glass that comes thru, even with the V series lenses I use.

Maybe the Rollei will bring back some of that 'zing', I do not see it in the current crop of MF images except for those with Schneider/Rodenstock, and in some of the older Hasselblad (180mm comes to mind) V lenses, and some of the contax (including the much maligned 80mm).

I am keeping my Conrtax, actually more for the older V hasselblad look than for the contax, although the latter have garnered the "3-d" comments also.

So are the newer Hasselblad bad? Certainly not. what may have stimulated the question was the lack of enthusiasm for the rather flat look that I see. Reminiscent of _____, well Iwon't say!

Victor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up