Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new website on Tanzania wildlife  (Read 3970 times)

Giedo

My new website on Tanzania wildlife
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:46:38 am »

Hi,

I just launched my website with wildlife and landscape photographs from several safaris in Tanzania (the first of which was in 2004 with Michael R. and Andy Biggs...).
I would love to hear your feedback on my work!
www.colourfull.eu (My Webpage)
Thanks in advance!

Giedo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 10:48:29 am by Giedo »
Giedo

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:07:23 pm »

I just launched my website with wildlife and landscape photographs from several safaris in Tanzania (the first of which was in 2004 with Michael R. and Andy Biggs...).
I would love to hear your feedback on my work!
www.colourfull.eu (My Webpage)
Thanks in advance
Hi!

First, a minor nitpick, because it's kindof disturbing to me: it's "colourful", not "colourfull", one of the minor inconsistencies of English.

Second:

It's a pretty big job you're asking for here, a critique of all those images. I hope you don't expect a detailed critique of all your images!

Some images are stunning, others are merely good, and others are oh-yet-another-one-of-those.

I like many of your images, and you seem to have selected images with a common, relaxed mood, with only a few exceptions. That is good. And I also happen to like the style.

In general, I think you may have been a bit too conservative with your contrast enhancements; you could tweak several images a bit more to achieve a striking effect. Play a bit more around with that.

You could also be a bit more selective with which images you choose to present. However, your front page selection is pretty good. Maybe you should show some sort of index images for each of your categories and subcategories, and allow people to view the large image straight away. That way, you'll emphasize your best work, and let people with an interest in the subject matter delve into the rest.

Now for some specific images.

"acacia_sunset copy" (perhaps choose a better caption/title?) is a captivating and striking image. Unfortunately, the lack of texture in the cloud on the right hand side detracts a bit from the image. Also, when viewed in the maximum available size, the focus is slightly disturbing; the background is sharper than the silhouette of the acacia tree.

"Cloud pattern over Serengeti kopjes" has some lovely cloud patterns, I find myself wishing for a bigger version of this image. But the left hand side of the image seems like an aesthetic mismatch with the right hand side. Also, the sky might be dominating the image a bit too much. Here's an alternative crop, which I don't claim is good, but maybe it can be used as a starting point (the contrast adjustment is exaggerated for effect):

[attachment=1086:attachment]

"Dawn" is really lovely, the range of colours, the silhouettes, ... This works for me, and although it's not strictly following the book regarding composition, I think it was right not to do so this time.

"Kopje" - why? I fail to see what's interesting in this image.

"Muddy hyena" - I like this one, but I still think you should've either included more of the hyena, or cropped off part of its body. Good catch.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:08:41 pm by jani »
Jan

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:28:37 pm »

The 'about me' link doesn't seem to say a lot about you

Hi!

First, a minor nitpick, because it's kindof disturbing to me: it's "colourful", not "colourfull", one of the minor inconsistencies of English.

Unless it's a play on 'full of colour' ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:29:58 pm by mahleu »

howiesmith

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:14:34 pm »

Some images are stunning, others are merely good, and others are oh-yet-another-one-of-those.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81837\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's called being a ruthless editor of your work.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:09:30 am »

It's called being a ruthless editor of your work.
Yes, and it's a very, very hard job.

"Kill your babies," was what someone said about writing. It's just as true for photography.
Jan

Giedo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:19:37 am »

It's a pretty big job you're asking for here, a critique of all those images. I hope you don't expect a detailed critique of all your images!
I'm sorry. Ofcourse I don't expect a full review. Any comment is welcome.
Thanks Jan, for taking the time to react! It is very helpful to me

's "colourful", not "colourfull"
Unless it's a play on 'full of colour' ?
That's exactly it! Maybe I should point that out on the welcome-page

In general, I think you may have been a bit too conservative with your contrast enhancements; you could tweak several images a bit more to achieve a striking effect. Play a bit more around with that.
This is sth I hear more often. I'm a natural-look kind of guy, but I'll play around with it a bit more. Are there specific images you think that need this kind of work?

"Kill your babies," was what someone said about writing. It's just as true for photography.
That hurts! But I agree. it is just sth very difficult to do with my own work (I don't have trouble judging someone elses though   )

The 'about me' link doesn't seem to say a lot about you
What is it you would like to hear about me? This is how I came to this point in taking photographs and what inspired me.

I'll take your critiques very serious and will try to improve my site and pictures with it.
Thanks,

Giedo
Giedo

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 09:20:20 am »

This is sth I hear more often. I'm a natural-look kind of guy, but I'll play around with it a bit more. Are there specific images you think that need this kind of work?
I think most of your pictures could benefit from a bit more contrast. Not much, just a little bit. Without that adjustment, they just don't look natural to me, they look slightly washed-out.

Remember: "natural" doesn't mean "as the camera captured it".
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up