Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS Mark II Firewire Connection Problems  (Read 6161 times)

Marc Schultz

1DS Mark II Firewire Connection Problems
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:14:20 am »

I just bought a Sony notebook computer for purposes of using it with the 1DS Mark II to do captures on-location. I am having problems though trying to get the Sony notebook computer to detect the firewire connection I made with the Canon 1DS Mark II.

Since the Sony only has a 4 pin firewire port I had to buy a separate Firewire cable which is fitted with a 4 pin connection on both sides since the 1DS Mark II’s firewire connection is also 4 pin. So I am not using the standard firewire cable that came with the camera which is 4 pin on one side and 6 pin on the other.

I  have installed all the Canon 1DS Mark II Twain drivers for the camera and it doesn’t seem to have helped.

I am wondering if there is some sort of problem with the cable I bought.

Anyway, if anyone has any troubleshooting ideas or experience connecting a 1DS Mark II to a Sony laptop, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Best wishes...

Dennishh

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:43:49 am »

You need to install the WIA drivers. You can get the new DPP and EEO's utility from Canon . These work very well with your remote capture. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...5&modelid=10598 I use the same cable on my Dell it works really great.
Dennis

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:10:26 pm »

I seem to have a lot of problems with firewire cables of the 4 pin variety and have been through four or five on the Kodak 14nx and now 1ds2 - including the original Canon cable. I have used the same 5m 6 pin cable for five years in comparison.
Try a few different cables as I would put money on it being that problem. When they work they work well but can be a nightmare when they don't , or worse work erratically. I blamed the 14nx for a while until I shifted to the 1ds2 and discovered I  had two faulty cables!

I just bought a Sony notebook computer for purposes of using it with the 1DS Mark II to do captures on-location. I am having problems though trying to get the Sony notebook computer to detect the firewire connection I made with the Canon 1DS Mark II.

Since the Sony only has a 4 pin firewire port I had to buy a separate Firewire cable which is fitted with a 4 pin connection on both sides since the 1DS Mark II’s firewire connection is also 4 pin. So I am not using the standard firewire cable that came with the camera which is 4 pin on one side and 6 pin on the other.

I  have installed all the Canon 1DS Mark II Twain drivers for the camera and it doesn’t seem to have helped.

I am wondering if there is some sort of problem with the cable I bought.

Anyway, if anyone has any troubleshooting ideas or experience connecting a 1DS Mark II to a Sony laptop, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Best wishes...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc Schultz

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:41:48 am »

Thank you Dennis. I meant to say I already installed the WIA Drivers. My mistake when I referred to them as TWAIN drivers.

Thank you Sean. I think you are probably right about the root of the problem being the cable. I am planning on taking the camera body, Sony notebook, and the firewire cable back to the shop where I bought it and see if we can't get it working somehow with another one of their cables. Got my fingers crossed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up