Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW  (Read 23981 times)

spphoto

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 10:48:10 am »

jani,

I checked out some of those links,

the first question was about a guy that had the OLD dell 2405, it's been replaced with the 2407 version.

did you see this quote on your link by 64dynamic :

"But, to be fair to Dell, I just got back from a client's place where I calibrated their brand new Dell 2407WFP 24" display and to my surprise it let me dim the backlight to 115cd/m2. A first for Dell in my experience and in all I've read from Dell owners in discussion forums (I know that previous versions of the 24" couldn't dim below 200). Either Dell is catching on, or this is a fluke. Time will tell..."

Any comment.  the 2007 wide is only ~$340!  Would you still say it shouldn't be used for critcal work?

spphoto

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 10:54:06 am »

Yes, you can.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

have you hooked up your camera to the dell?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 11:05:03 am »

No, I used that function once when I was visting some relatives.  Other than that I have not had a use for it.

spphoto

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 11:14:38 am »

No, I used that function once when I was visting some relatives.  Other than that I have not had a use for it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kaelaria, so your saying that you have indeed hooked up your camera to the dell successfully ONCE. So it did indeed work, right?

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 11:44:04 am »

No, I used composite out to a TV set.  I don't even remember if my 5 series HAS a composite in like the 7 series, I have not had the need to look, I only use DVI.  If you are asking me if I'm sure it works, yes I am - composite in is composite in, on a TV, or monitor.

jani

• Øyet
Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 06:36:39 pm »

did you see this quote on your link by 64dynamic :
Yes, I did.

That is one of the reasons why I pointed out the links ...

Any comment.  the 2007 wide is only ~$340!  Would you still say it shouldn't be used for critcal work?
If it can't be dimmed enough, it shouldn't be used for critical work. If it can be dimmed, it probably can be used, since the colour profile from calibration can be used to compensate for almost any other weaknesses in colour representation.

Kaelaria's post indicates that you have to dim it quite a lot in software, which really isn't a good thing for colour and brightness accuracy. He also appears to have a different idea of what "critical work" means than what's usually understood by the term.

This does not necessarily mean that you will experience problems with it, but it increases the likelyhood significantly.

I realise that this may not be the advice you want, but I really can't tell what you might find acceptable or not. But when colour management experts (and I'm not one of them) state quite clearly that LUT adjustments of brightness should be avoided, it's a good idea to pay attention.
Jan

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 06:46:41 pm »

Kaelaria's post indicates that you have to dim it quite a lot in software
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I said no such thing.  I gave the settings for a couple versions of the nvidia drivers.  The change is in fact barely noticeable at all.  The current setting is 41%.  The default setting  happens to be 50% for this driver.  The percieved change in brightness between those two is very, very slight, not 'quite a lot' at all.  If you have the current nvidia drivers and appropriate card yourself, try it out and see.

jani

• Øyet
Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 07:01:30 pm »

I said no such thing.  I gave the settings for a couple versions of the nvidia drivers.  The change is in fact barely noticeable at all.  The current setting is 41%.  The default setting  happens to be 50% for this driver.
If the driver uses a linear scale for brightness, that's 18% down, limiting your effective RGB values from 0-255 to 0-209, unless I've miscalculated something, and before a profile is applied, you're at almost half the amount of available colours.

That's "quite a lot" in my book.
Jan

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 03:44:33 am »

Here is the exact difference, judge for yourselves.  These is at full, and down to 41% brightness.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:52:13 am by kaelaria »

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 04:09:02 am »

Hey - thanks to this thread, it reminded me that I had not done a calibration in several months - since the monitor was basically new!  Now that it aged a bit, it's even closer!  The new setting is now only 46%!  Here's a shot from i1 tonight (ignore the other sliders, those are all the default positions)...

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 04:27:12 am »

Here's the new, current setting to compare:

ato

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 12:33:27 am »

print screen......WTH      

Roy

• http://
Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 01:35:20 am »

print screen......WTH      
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82307\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Give them enough rope...

How does a "discussion" like this turn up on an otherwise serious and usually informed web site?
Roy

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 08:09:25 am »

I knew some ignorant person would make a comment about that

It's a print screen adjusted with a curve in PS to match the curve (input and output values) from the driver.  If you had an nvidia control panel you would see the next tab holds a curves graph to adjust just like PS.  

So you guys continue to think you're all-knowing, even though you're making comments about and giving 'expert' advice about hardware you don't even have   Those of us with the 2405's know we have a great monitor (not perfect) and are happy - and that's all that matters!  

Hey, maybe today you'll find an article about a new monitor you can read, and then you'll be an expert on that one too
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 08:10:07 am by kaelaria »

jani

• Øyet
Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 09:15:10 am »

So you guys continue to think you're all-knowing, even though you're making comments about and giving 'expert' advice about hardware you don't even have
I think part of the problem is your in-your-face attitude and that you're not providing enough information to give the "correct" opinion on what you post.

May I suggest that you tone down your style a bit, and take a bit more time composing your posts, so that you can avoid this, as well as provide the pertinent information?

Those of us with the 2405's know we have a great monitor (not perfect) and are happy - and that's all that matters!   
I had a 2405 briefly, and I quickly found out that it was unsuitable for colour critical work.

Have you tried creating a granger rainbow and viewing it on different, calibrated & profiled monitors?
Jan

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:42 am »

Posting style doesn't effect the facts of a discussion, it's mearly an excuse for someone to bring up to divert attention.

I have compared the Dell to my other monitors using my photos, yes, and they all look identical as far as I can see.  I have also comapred prints done via the Dell to my other monitors, and they all match as far as I can tell.  No I have not used or heard of a granger rainbow, but I'll look into it.

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 09:48:29 am »

Reading the description of it here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/may_2006.html

I don't think it will be of use to me.  Since it says it's out of printer gamut, you would need to have the comparitive monitors next to each other to really use it.  While I do have a few in my office at home, my other main system is here at work, and I'm not going to drag it home just to AB test.

I have used some of the test samples above it, and my own work to verify setups, which is what really matters to me.  The monitor still outshines the prints as far as available gamut, the colors are accurate, my prints come out exactly as I see them.  What else can you ask for?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:49:47 am by kaelaria »

elliot_n

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 11:19:36 am »

I owned a Dell 2405 briefly, running it in tandem with a 20" Apple Cinema Display.

I returned it, as I didn't feel it was suitable for critical image editing.

I wasn't so bothered by the brightness, and I was able to calibrate it fairly well with Coloreyes software.

What bugged me was the extremely limited viewing angle. You only needed to move your head a couple of inches and the tonalities in the shadow areas of the image would change (lighten, as you looked more obliquely). Even if you fixed your head in a vice, the tonality of an image would change as you dragged the image from the centre to the corner of the screen.

The Apple displays, using SIPS panels, have none of these viewing angle issues.

Elliot

kaelaria

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 11:22:50 am »

Yes I do notice that, but for me personally it doesn't bother me, it's so slight.  But yes, the monitor is not perfect, that is certainly present.

elliot_n

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 02:07:25 pm »

Yes I do notice that, but for me personally it doesn't bother me, it's so slight.  But yes, the monitor is not perfect, that is certainly present.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I agree, the viewing angle problem is fairly subtle. I might have accepted it, if I hadn't had an Apple Cinema Display, sat right next to the Dell.

I'm curious to know whether the latest 24" Dell exhibits the same symptoms? And how about the 24" iMac?

Elliot

(The other reason I didn't get on with the Dell 2405, was that its screen rotation function is not supported on my generation of Mac - the G5 dualcores that were introduced last year.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up