Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax Zoom Lens Quality  (Read 9426 times)

BradSmith

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:37:49 pm »

I'm getting ready to get a DSLR and top zoom lenses.  The new Pentax K10D's specs look great to me.  But I'm wondering how their zoom lenses stack up against the modern zooms from Canon (L) and Nikon (ED).  There has been very little discussion in recent years about Pentax glass, and when I've seen it, it usually talked about their primes, back from the days when they were a bigger player.

I'm probably interested in 2 or 3 zoom lenses that span from 16-17mm up to about 200mm.

I'd appreciate your experiences and opinions.  Any comparison out there on the net?
thanks
Brad

BradSmith

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 04:43:31 pm »

Also, I've looked at their web site and their current zooms don't look to me, based on price, like they're trying to compete with the best from Nikon and Canon.  Prices are list from their web site:
10-17 ED f3.5   $580
12-24 ED f4        900
16-45 ED f4        550
18-55      f4        200  (kit lens?)
50-200 ED f4       250

regken

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 02:51:12 pm »

Check out the road map. http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/lens/roadmap.pdf
The high end zooms will be out in the first quarter of 07.
Ken

amcinroy

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:43:19 am »

Remember that you can't use price as a guide of quality when you are comparing the Pentax DA APS format lenses versus the equivalent full frame/35mm lenses on Canon or Nikon.

For instance the Pentax DA 14mm looks cheap on paper compared to the Canon and Nikon equivalents. I don't think that means that the quality is any worse it's just that the Nikon and Canon equivalents are full frame and thus need more glass. Any sign of any APS primes from these manufacturers? Not likely. Pentax have made a cunning move here and are starting to stand out from the crowd with their DA primes.

I am, personally glad that Pentax are sticking to APS sensors and pushing out really nice DA primes. They are affordable but still super quality. Just look at the 14, 21, 40 and 70mm pancake primes.

Andy
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I

BradSmith

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:28:30 am »

Andy,
Interesting point about it being less expensive to produce high quality, smaller diameter image circle (as in APS sensor) lenses.  But that fact doesn't necessarily mean that pentax has decided to produce lenses at the L and Nikon ED quality level.  They might have the less expensive Canon and Nikon lenses as their target points for image quality.  Or they might be aiming for top quality and just not be pulling it off.

That's why I was wondering if anyone had done any, or seen any decent comparisons done anywhere.

amcinroy

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 05:38:12 am »

That's why I was wondering if anyone had done any, or seen any decent comparisons done anywhere.

I think you are comparing apples with oranges here. Unless you can find a way of fitting Pentax, Nikon and Canon lenses onto the same sensor.

My own personal opinion is that Pentax DA lenses are under-rated because they look cheap on paper. But rest assured that the optical quality is top class.

Andy
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I

regken

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 01:09:58 pm »

Andy,
Interesting point about it being less expensive to produce high quality, smaller diameter image circle (as in APS sensor) lenses.  But that fact doesn't necessarily mean that pentax has decided to produce lenses at the L and Nikon ED quality level.  They might have the less expensive Canon and Nikon lenses as their target points for image quality.  Or they might be aiming for top quality and just not be pulling it off.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found this comparison interesting. [a href=\"http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20161211]http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=20161211[/url]
Ken

BradSmith

Pentax Zoom Lens Quality
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 04:38:14 pm »

I found this comparison interesting. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=20161211
Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ken,
thanks for pointing out the lens comparison.  That is just the type of thing that I am hoping to find has been done or is being done with some of the new Pentax lenses designed for their digital SLR's.
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up