Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vegas to Page  (Read 4450 times)

aksundevil

Vegas to Page
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:52:21 am »

I'm going to be driving between Las Vegas and Page, AZ during the first couple weeks of Nov. I don't have any aversion to driving a little farther east, but I've kind of decided against doing anything west of Vegas. Where would you go if you had a week to camp and photograph around there and planned to stay in mostly the same place the whole time? I've briefly visited Arches, Cap. Reef, Bryce, and Zion before, and I've been to the G. Canyon a few times.

I'll have camping gear and a small rental car. Does anyone know of some places near any parks or inbetween my destinations where there is free camping? I think I remember hearing of some places near Zion on this forum recently. If you know any great places to camp that have a fee, I would maybe be intrested in those as well.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

camilla

Vegas to Page
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:24:09 am »

I'm a little confused as I don;t know if you are interested in revisiting Bryce and Zion- between Las Vegas and Page there is a lot to be photographed, especially if you are willing to take back roads.

I have several suggestions: ( keeping in mind that you do not wish to dedicate this time to Zion and Bryce area)

1. To take highway 12 from Bryce to Hanksville and photograph the Escalante, Devil's Garden, Boulder Mountain area. You can check the area out in the great Laurent Martres' books.(suggest you get the 2 new editions)
Cottonwood Road is a good way to go from Highway 12 to Page while photographing the scenery.  Highway 12 is probably the most beautiful road in the country...you have a tremnendous variety of scenery. You can even photograph Capitol Reef which is also amazing.

2. Spend the time around Page and do the Antelope Canyons, upper and lower, Alstrom Point, Horseshoe,The Wave, Coyote Buttes South (permit is easier to get), Cottonwood Road (if you didn;t do it from Highway 12) and everything else there is to do in this area. The options are endless.

I have just returned from another one of my trips to these places and would go back tomorrow if I could. It is an amazing area.

Sorry I can't help in the camping area. Lots of luck and email me if you have additional needs.

raptorsys

Vegas to Page
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:19:59 pm »

A very good place to stay is Kanab Utah as it's pretty central to all the lower Utah/Northern Arizona sights.  By the end of October, as I recall, the place you have to go to get a permit for 'The Wave' is in Kanab (Ranger Station) but before the end of October you have to go to the contact station 2-3 miles west of the intersection of 89 and Cottonwood Canyon Road.  Another nice thing about this time of the year is that there are far fewer people to compete with for the limited number of daily passes.  I've been to The Wave three times and it took a total of four trips to get the passes (only missed out once).

This is also a good time to do the Antelope Canyon (upper and lower) as the number of people is once again lower than it is during the April-September peak period.

I nice drive if you like to drive is the loop on 89 from Kanab to Page then south until you get to 89A.  Then go west on 89A and it will eventually head tou back towards Kanab.  While driving along 89A you will be driving along the best part of the Vermilion Cliffs and the stretch from Marble Canyon to just up the hill from 'House Rock Road' is particularly spectacular.  Figure about 185 miles for the loop.  While on this loop you might think about hitting the north rim of the GC.

A few other places to think about is the 'Hole In the Rock' road or the 'Burr Trail.'  The Hole In the Rock is just east of Escalante and the Burr Trail begins in Boulder.  Both these roads are dirt and can be less than fun when the weathers good and undriveable when wet.  Another dirt road between Escalante and Boulder is 'Hells Backbone.'  

I'd also think about taking the boat to Rainbow Bridge leaving out of Waheap Marina just west of Page.  The cost is about $110/person as I recall and is an all day venture that is best booked the day before.  In addition to visiting the Rainbow Bridge natural arch there are many interesting formations on the roughly three hour boat ride each way.

You could spend years in this part of the world and not see half of it but a week will be a good start!

Brian

aksundevil

Vegas to Page
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:17:37 pm »

Thanks to you both for all your ideas. Even though I'm happy for the chance to return to Zion NP (which I've decided I can't help but do), it's more exciting to have some places in mind that I haven't yet seen. Still, if anyone knows any specific camping spots in and around the areas that have been suggested, it would be great to hear about them.

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
Vegas to Page
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:14:04 pm »

If you're going to go to Zion from Las Vegas you'll enter on RT 9. There is free camping at Coal Pits Wash, marked by a sign, on the North side of the hiway, before reaching the town of Rockville. Just before this there is free camping on the South side of RT 9.

You could rent a Jeep Liberty and venture into the Arizona Strip. This is BLM managed and doesn't require any permits. Toroweap, in the Grand Canyon NP is accessible thru this area and is outstanding. Free camping on the North Rim is pretty neat.

I know a camping permit around Coyote Buttes is $10.00 but that would put you right at the Wire Pass Trailhead. Buckskin Gulch is entered here and there is no permit needed. $5.00 usage fee.

I think you can camp all thru the Grand Staircase for free. I know I'm looking forward to going out to Hell's Backbone next Spring. Bryce had some snow 10 days ago, Zion to Page will be much more temperate.

Have fun,
 Win

aksundevil

Vegas to Page
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:43:22 pm »

Thanks Win, that was just the kind of tent pitching info I was looking for. Sadly, renting a small suv is way out of my price range, so I'll be sticking mostly to paved roads. And yes, it would be super cold camping in the Bryce area. I did it two years ago in October when the temps were in the single digits. Brrrrr. Probably wont try that again.

raptorsys

Vegas to Page
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:56:17 pm »

Thanks Win, that was just the kind of tent pitching info I was looking for. Sadly, renting a small suv is way out of my price range, so I'll be sticking mostly to paved roads. And yes, it would be super cold camping in the Bryce area. I did it two years ago in October when the temps were in the single digits. Brrrrr. Probably wont try that again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Renting a SUV may be more expensive but it's possible to sleep in one and not have to bring a tent -- should also be a bit warmer then a tent on those nights were the temp can drop below 20F.  Also, so much of the southern part of Utah is best seen from the back/dirt roads and being able to drive more safely on them can cut hiking time by a good deal.  

I don't have a full on SUV but my Toyota Matrix has travelled the length of: Cottonwood Canyon Road, the Burr Trail, and the Hells Backbone Road.  I also did House Rock Valley road (from 89 to Wire Pass parking lot) on my motorcycle (2004 Honda VFR-800) not once but three times.  On one occassion, a couple days after heavy rain, the road was washed out and more than a foot of mud covered the road at Kitchen Coral Wash.  I was able to ride my bike through it by driving in one of the tracks left by a 4wd vehicle, but not 30 minutes later someone in a regular car got stuck for 4 hours.

But, even with an SUV or other 4wd vehicle the dirt roads can be impassable just after rain for a coupe reasons: the mud can be too slippery and/or deep, and many of these roads are crossed by MANY streams, creaks, washes and rivers so you could wind up making it to a point but have to turn around.

Still, if the roads are passable there are so many things to see from them that you'd kick yourself if you didn't rent one.  Save money on the hotel and rent an SUV.

Brian

howiesmith

Vegas to Page
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:50:44 am »

But, even with an SUV or other 4wd vehicle the dirt roads can be impassable just after rain for a coupe reasons: the mud can be too slippery and/or deep, and many of these roads are crossed by MANY streams, creaks, washes and rivers so you could wind up making it to a point but have to turn around.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Also keep in mind that you may get in one day but can't get back out the next after a good rain.  Be prepared to wait.  Take a good book.
Pages: [1]   Go Up