Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nec 2180 UX or 23" Apple Cinema Display  (Read 8706 times)

gorosh

Nec 2180 UX or 23" Apple Cinema Display
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:03:41 am »

I'll be getting new computer next week, and I'll also need new monitor, since my Sony Trinitron is dying (colors are washed out, turning itself off etc.). I would need some advice concerning display choice.

I'm graphic designer / illustrator, and I mostly use Adobe CS2 Suite, and I do a little bit of 2D animation, and some 3D (rarely). I need display which I can calibrate well, since I do a lot of print work. I've been doing image editing for fashion industry lately, and since it's a steady gig I'll be doing for long time ahead, I need very good color accuracy, since in fashion photos / prints there are lot of subtle color changes, differences in texture, various levels of black etc. I also do a lot of illustrations, but since I use spot colors almost exclusively, it's not that much color-critical, since I pick Pantone colors from Pantone book. Anyway, I've researched a bit and I narrowed my choice to several displays:

21" Nec Multisync 2180UX - 1610$

23" Apple Cinema Display - 1540$

23" PHILIPS 230WP7NS - 1130$

They all use S-IPS panel, but I suppose you know that. The prices are with all the taxes for my country.

As I understand, the Nec gives best picture / color quality, but is also "smallest" and most expensive. Do you think there would be big difference between Nec and ACD? As for Philips, I know that it uses the same panel as ACD (LG.Philips LM230W02), so I wondered if maybe that's better choice over Apple? I know that same panel doesn't equals same display, but they might be more or less the same quality - does anyone has experience with 23" Philips? Can someone tell me the pros or cons of all three choices? What's your take on 21" vs 23" option, as in screen size / ratio? Do you maybe have some other suggestions?

I've read that Nec is going to release two new displays in October / November this year - 24" and 26" model. This 24" model sounds tempting, and I suppose it would be ideal for me, both in terms of size and quality (if it turns out to be good as 2180UX). I really don't have to buy new display next week, I could wait for month or two, if I'll be getting better display that way. I don't know how much it will cost in my country with all the taxes, and when will it become available, so that's another issue to consider. Anyway, please share your thoughts...

Thanks in advance

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 08:27:44 am »

The 2180ux is last year's model.  Current model is 2190uxi, available in U.S. for under $1400, or about $1600 for the SV bundle that includes an Eye One Display 2 puck and the excellent NEC Spectraview II software that calibrates the monitor directly via its internal 12-bit LUTs.

I have the 2090uxi and could hardly be happier with it.  If you're not in a hurry it would be worth waiting a month and having a look at the new widescreen 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi models.  The latter is spec'd to cover 92% of the Adobe RGB colorspace, and both of them should come in at price points that will interest you.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

lightcreator

• http://www.wingliu.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:53:55 am »

I'll be getting new computer next week, and I'll also need new monitor, since my Sony Trinitron is dying (colors are washed out, turning itself off etc.). I would need some advice concerning display choice.

I'm graphic designer / illustrator, and I mostly use Adobe CS2 Suite, and I do a little bit of 2D animation, and some 3D (rarely). I need display which I can calibrate well, since I do a lot of print work. I've been doing image editing for fashion industry lately, and since it's a steady gig I'll be doing for long time ahead, I need very good color accuracy, since in fashion photos / prints there are lot of subtle color changes, differences in texture, various levels of black etc. I also do a lot of illustrations, but since I use spot colors almost exclusively, it's not that much color-critical, since I pick Pantone colors from Pantone book. Anyway, I've researched a bit and I narrowed my choice to several displays:

21" Nec Multisync 2180UX - 1610$

23" Apple Cinema Display - 1540$

23" PHILIPS 230WP7NS - 1130$

They all use S-IPS panel, but I suppose you know that. The prices are with all the taxes for my country.

As I understand, the Nec gives best picture / color quality, but is also "smallest" and most expensive. Do you think there would be big difference between Nec and ACD? As for Philips, I know that it uses the same panel as ACD (LG.Philips LM230W02), so I wondered if maybe that's better choice over Apple? I know that same panel doesn't equals same display, but they might be more or less the same quality - does anyone has experience with 23" Philips? Can someone tell me the pros or cons of all three choices? What's your take on 21" vs 23" option, as in screen size / ratio? Do you maybe have some other suggestions?

I've read that Nec is going to release two new displays in October / November this year - 24" and 26" model. This 24" model sounds tempting, and I suppose it would be ideal for me, both in terms of size and quality (if it turns out to be good as 2180UX). I really don't have to buy new display next week, I could wait for month or two, if I'll be getting better display that way. I don't know how much it will cost in my country with all the taxes, and when will it become available, so that's another issue to consider. Anyway, please share your thoughts...

Thanks in advance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

NEC 2190 SpectraView (NOT the standard version) have better gamut and 10 or 12 bits per color and GREAT colour accurcy.  I have got the NEC 2180 SpectraView, it is the best screen I ever have and I will definitely buy the 2190 SpectraView or whatever NEC calls them when I am already to upgrade.      

Apple Cinema Display is great looking and wide screen, but the colour ain't that HOT       even though use by a lot of top PROs.  My friend is a colour management guru and he has 4 NEC 2180s and two APPLE 30" (and he told me to steer away from them from his past experience)!

Don't buy Lacie (NEC rebadge really but more expensive) or Eizo (too expensive and I don't see that much differences).  I don't think Philips is that HOT either or in the same league.

Being an APPLE freak, I know I shouldn't be saying this.  If budget might be tight, try DELL 24" wide-screen (DELL does NOT advertise it as PRO machine though I think, so a lot cheaper for what it is in terms of size, price and usabilities)???      

bob mccarthy

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:30:13 am »

The Apple 23" model has been replaced with a new version recently. And the price has dropped to $1000. The one I got is darn good, much better than the Samsung 213T I was using. There are some of the old versions being sold in Europe with the same description. Buy direct from Apple M-O or Apple store.

My calibrated beautifully with the X-Rite Monaco.

Bob

gorosh

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 11:31:29 am »

Being an APPLE freak, I know I shouldn't be saying this.  If budget might be tight, try DELL 24" wide-screen (DELL does NOT advertise it as PRO machine though I think, so a lot cheaper for what it is in terms of size, price and usabilities)???     
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think I'll be getting 24" Dell - if I weren't so concerned with quality color, I would probably buy it, since it's not that expensive and looks nice. But since I'll be doing color correction / image editing  on my new display, the Dell doesn't seems to be very good solution (lot of people has issues with it in that regard).

Regarding NEC 2190 SpectraView, there's no way I can afford it, it costs more than 6000$, and even if I could afford it, I doubt I would spend that amount of cash on single display.

I will definitely wait for new 24" NEC, and if the price is under 2000$ (in my country), and if the quality is as good as 2190UX model, I'll definitely pick that one.

gorosh

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 11:36:49 am »

The 2180ux is last year's model.  Current model is 2190uxi, available in U.S. for under $1400, or about $1600 for the SV bundle that includes an Eye One Display 2 puck and the excellent NEC Spectraview II software that calibrates the monitor directly via its internal 12-bit LUTs.

I have the 2090uxi and could hardly be happier with it.  If you're not in a hurry it would be worth waiting a month and having a look at the new widescreen 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi models.  The latter is spec'd to cover 92% of the Adobe RGB colorspace, and both of them should come in at price points that will interest you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, the few shops that sell NEC displays here, only have 2180UX model, not the 2190UX, I don't know why. I guess I'll call them and see if that model is available, and how long it would take them to get 24" modl once it hits the streets.

What's the difference between 2180UX and 2190UX models?

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:50:48 am »

NEC 2190 SpectraView (NOT the standard version) have better gamut and 10 or 12 bits per color and GREAT colour accurcy.  I have got the NEC 2180 SpectraView, it is the best screen I ever have and I will definitely buy the 2190 SpectraView or whatever NEC calls them when I am already to upgrade.
Unlike previous models, I don't think there's any physical difference now (i.e., in the xx90-series) between the SV and non-SV versions, just the inclusion of the Eye One puck and the Spectraview software in the former.  This may differ in the EU though.

EDIT:  After glancing at that UK Colour Confidence site, it appears that EU "Spectraview" packages include the Spectraview software and a hood, but no puck.  US "SV" packages, OTOH, include the sofware and a puck, but no hood.  Note also that the EU and US versions of the software are completely different.  It used to be the case in the EU that *only* those models purchased *with* the Spectraview software would work with it, as the regular models were crippled in firmware from doing that.  I have no idea whether this remains the case with the new EU line.  And AFAIK, it has never been true of US models, and is certainly not true of the current US lineup, as the Spectraview software is also sold separately in the US.  (Neither do I know whether the US Spectraview software will work on EU-spec models.)

Regarding NEC 2190 SpectraView, there's no way I can afford it, it costs more than 6000$, and even if I could afford it, I doubt I would spend that amount of cash on single display.
I think that's the "Reference" model you're referring to.  The nomenclature is confusing, especially as I believe it differs slightly between EU and US models and packaging.  It appears that "Spectraview" might be what the EU branch is calling the SV package, but that it also includes a hood.

What's the difference between 2180UX and 2190UX models?
Don't know the particulars of that other than to tell you that 2180 is no longer a current model.  You might be able to find spec sheets on one of the NEC websites.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 12:08:27 pm by Nill Toulme »

lightcreator

• http://www.wingliu.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:12:02 pm »

I don't think I'll be getting 24" Dell - if I weren't so concerned with quality color, I would probably buy it, since it's not that expensive and looks nice. But since I'll be doing color correction / image editing  on my new display, the Dell doesn't seems to be very good solution (lot of people has issues with it in that regard).

I will definitely wait for new 24" NEC, and if the price is under 2000$ (in my country), and if the quality is as good as 2190UX model, I'll definitely pick that one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81355\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi

I think you are thinking of NEC SpectraView "REFERENCE" (which is the top of the range) $6000?

The NEC SpectraView 21" 2190 is about £1000 UK (?  $1800  ?) or the cheaper 19" or 20"

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up