Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atpus 65 Centerfold Problem  (Read 6250 times)

Dick Stein

Atpus 65 Centerfold Problem
« on: October 19, 2006, 11:11:21 pm »

I just purchased a Leaf Aptus 65 and was told their was no problem with non retrofocus lens like the 35mm on the H2. Unfortunately I have a problem (see attachment).  I love the files from test done in demo's of a leaf Aptus 75 but didn't have much chance to test with the 35mm on the Aptus 65.  I wasn't testing for the centerfold issue however it showed up tonight in a few high iso (400 - 800) handheld test shots. I have emailed the dealer and will talk with them tomorrow. Anyone else had the same probelm with the Aptus 65?

We are a portrait studio and sometimes need to photograph large groups in tight spaces.  We need a wide angle for such situations and can't live with a centerfold problem for these portraits.

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 01:58:35 am »

doesn't realy look like a centerfold issue, but it looks more like the left side and right side of the image are shot by a different camera!! I thought that the centerfold problem was a line only in the middel of the images....but I might be wrong...it is a huge problem nevertheless!!
I am getting my A65 tomorrow and will test for this problem right away...I however will never shoot with a wide angle lens like that...but it shouldn't happen with any angle lens...and my leaf rep told me they have dealt with the issue and it should be history!! (the is the centerfold issue)....let me know the outcome and if this color cast also happens with a regular lens...because with my luck this will happen to me too!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:00:43 am by nicolaasdb »

LasseDPF

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:16:15 am »

I have the exact same thing with my new aptus 17 on high iso (on a mamiya afd2)
It only shows on high iso images. No idea what is is though..

I did not get a gain diffusor with my back so dont know if it can be fixed with a custom gain file.

But I guess it should.. If I understand this correct http://www.leaf-photography.com/files/docs...in_Adjuster.pdf

edit: triedt to reproduce this on my aptus today. And, nothing.. the files was just like they were supposed to. So probably some strange "hickup".    well, its gone. All good now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:48:03 am by LMO »
Lasse Morkhagen

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 07:44:53 am »

doesn't realy look like a centerfold issue, but it looks more like the left side and right side of the image are shot by a different camera!! I thought that the centerfold problem was a line only in the middel of the images....

No, it looks like this, with a different exposure on either side. This is probably the worst example I have seen. Totally unuseable! I hope it gets sorted out soon.

Graham

Cfranson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:18:27 am »

That problem looks like a fault with your particular back. We've not seen anything like that with any Aptus 65 we've sold.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:47:29 am »

I agree this is not a centerfold issue. However, I am going to ask a question and you may think i am crazy. Could the difference have something to do with the artificial light on the garage.  THe color of the walls at both the right and left ends of the building are the same so can some of the observed effect be due to the light and perhaps some regions of the wall that got wet  in the rain??? I know the change looks abrupt but I am curious if you see this in other images.  I have used my 35mm and Hasselblad inside an old and on some outdoor buildings but usually no more than iso 200 and have not noticed this but when i get home will look more carefully at different files.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 05:39:04 pm »

I just purchased a Leaf Aptus 65 and was told their was no problem with non retrofocus lens like the 35mm on the H2. Unfortunately I have a problem (see attachment).  I love the files from test done in demo's of a leaf Aptus 75 but didn't have much chance to test with the 35mm on the Aptus 65.  I wasn't testing for the centerfold issue however it showed up tonight in a few high iso (400 - 800) handheld test shots. I have emailed the dealer and will talk with them tomorrow. Anyone else had the same probelm with the Aptus 65?

We are a portrait studio and sometimes need to photograph large groups in tight spaces.  We need a wide angle for such situations and can't live with a centerfold problem for these portraits.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

came across some serious problems with my leaf back today
2 different looking exposures split down the centre.
was seeing this on 100 ISO with strobes, and I tried it with 800iso ambient lighting. This is what I got. Anyone else seeing this with their Leaf 75S?

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 05:57:42 pm »

came across some serious problems with my leaf back today
2 different looking exposures split down the centre.
was seeing this on 100 ISO with strobes, and I tried it with 800iso ambient lighting. This is what I got. Anyone else seeing this with their Leaf 75S?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This does not look like centerfold to me, at least not the ISO 100 shot. It looks like something else going on there.

It would be helpful to have more information:

Camera/Lens/Aperture/Shutter?
Tethered or CF?
New problem just cropped up, everything fine before or this way out of the box?
Version of Leaf Capture used? (specific name)

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

godtfred

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:15:23 pm »

...no problem with non retrofocus lens like the 35mm on the H2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I thought the HC 35mm was a retrofocus design?

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

samuel_js

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »

I thought the HC 35mm was a retrofocus design?

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142513\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ye, it's retrofocus.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

This does not look like centerfold to me, at least not the ISO 100 shot. It looks like something else going on there.

It would be helpful to have more information:

Camera/Lens/Aperture/Shutter?
Tethered or CF?
New problem just cropped up, everything fine before or this way out of the box?
Version of Leaf Capture used? (specific name)

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mamiya AFDII, 55-110mm f4.5 (exposure about 1/30th f4.5 I think)
CF card
everything fine before until I started testing again last night (but havne't used the back much yet)
converted with ACR 4.2

nicolaasdb

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 11:24:05 pm »

the rep told me that I needed to upload the new v.11 software and even when you never shoot tethered hook your back up to the software and let it update the firmware....I didn't have your problems (but similar) and my back froze up all the time.

After doing what they told me to do.....NO MORE PROBLEMS...colors are better and back performs great.

There is still a slight color difference between the left and right side of the sensor...but for some reason this is only visible in the preview....when I open the image everything is 100% perfect.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 02:54:50 am »

It looks a bit like a problem my CF can have (and had). The back and camera being out of sync resulting in images that are magenta'ish on one side and greenish on the other side. I have never seen that with my Leaf though.

This doesn't look like centerfold. Is this happening while shooting to CF card as well as tethered?

In that case (only on CF) it probably is the back (or back/camera combination). When it only happens shooting tethered my guess would go to the software in which case I would try reinstalling V11 and try again.

If it also happens with CF. Try reinstalling the software as well. Tether the back to the computer. have the firmware updated. Clean the contacts of back and camera as well. Try again.

Another option to determine where the problem might be is to hookup your back to version 8 (or 10) and have the firmware in the back updated. When it performs as it should you know you have a firmware/software problem.

I just noticed it happens with CF. You have tried tethered as well?

Goodluck!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:00:24 am by Dustbak »

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 11:48:02 am »

This kind of artaffects do appear sometimes with digital backs. Every couple thousands of frames one or two creeps in. Sometimes it is too low voltage, sometimes it is the synch problem, sometimes  it is the CF card or fire wire cable. I see it more often in low light conditions on longer exposure with strobes mixed. Problem is hard to trace in and I learn to let it slide. We had problems with films as well. I have seen it with all backs, I see it with my A75s as well. If it is not regular problem than just restart the back and keep shooting.

http://andrenapier.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up