Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Processing RAW Images from Digital Rebel XT  (Read 2059 times)

jlamonte

Processing RAW Images from Digital Rebel XT
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:58:36 pm »

I recently took a lot of photos in RAW with my Canon Digital Rebel XT. The files are .CR2 files which I've never heard of before or seen anywhere else. I am trying to figure out how to edit them and am having some difficulties. I have Digital Photo Professional (DPP) which came with the camera, ZoomBrowser EX, and have downloaded the free trial version of Photoshop CS2. I have been playing around with the image editing, and have run in to two problems.

First, when I edit in DPP, it looks the best. But, DPP is not a very robust program and lacks many features that Photoshop has, like levels and curves. But, the images are sharp and clear. However,  when I convert it to Tiff, a lot of the clarity and sharpness is lost.

Second, when I edit in ZoomBrowser EX, the image editing is not as sharp and clear, and I have the same problems when I convert it to Tiff.

So, I am hoping to find a robust program that lets me edit and save my changes into Canons RAW format, .CR2, OR a way to convert them to Tiff without losing the clarity of the RAW format.

I have also found that printshops don't recognize .CR2 files. Does anyone know of any place that does? I live in the Washington, D.C. area.

Finally, I have attached my favorite photo that I shot in my travels. I took it during a harrowing encounter with a grizzly bear when the bear was about 30 feet away and acting very aggressively. I had my camera on a tripod and I shot it with my Digital Rebel with the Canon 300mm f 5.6 zoom lens.

I want to edit this shot, blow it up, and print it out. Does anyone have any editing suggestions? Obviously I am going to crop it, but I have no experience with wildlife photo editing. I was thinking of either increasing the sharpness for the entire photo, or maybe just the bears face. I've tried both but don't really know how to judge them critically.

Any input on either matter is much appreciated!

Joe

[attachment=1056:attachment]

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 10:41:58 pm »

.CR2 files are only source files.  You do not save changes to RAW data.  You need to run a converter to convert the files to tiff or jpegs (or whatever).  There are many.  DPP has curves.  I like Capture One LE.  Try the adobe lightroom beta.

Here is MR's primer...

http://luminous-landscape.com/techniques/process.shtml

jlamonte

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 10:42:35 pm »

.CR2 files are only source files.  You do not save changes to RAW data.  You need to run a converter to convert the files to tiff or jpegs (or whatever).  There are many.  DPP has curves.  I like Capture One LE.  Try the adobe lightroom beta.

Here is MR's primer...

http://luminous-landscape.com/techniques/process.shtml
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is great. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up