Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering move to Mac Pro  (Read 6016 times)

Hermie

Considering move to Mac Pro
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:34:51 pm »

I'm considering a move to Mac platform. I'm investigating the costs of transferring my software licenses to Mac versions. I'm glad that I'll be able to transfer my PS CS2 license without any additional costs other than transportation.

Anybody know if I can use the US Mac version of "Artisan™ Color Reference System Software 1.2.5" on European CRT?
I was only able to find the US download but I'm not sure if I can use it on a European CRT, because they explicitely state ""NOTE: This utility is only for use with the products identified above and sold in the United States, Latin America, or Canada. Not all models are sold in all countries."

Do you have any tips/suggestions on software for e-mail, antivirus, firewall, spyware, backup, disk image, other?

What do you think of Parallels Desktop for Mac to run the few applications that are not available in a Mac version?

Thanks.

Hermie
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:44:35 pm by Hermie »

photopat

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:10:40 pm »

Do you have any tips/suggestions on software for e-mail, antivirus, firewall, spyware, backup, disk image, other?

e-mail---> the included mail app in OSX is all you need.
antivirus----> there is no virus for mac so no need for that.
firewall----> OSX's firewall is pretty good and you'd probably don't need anything else but there is always NetBarrier
Spyware----> Not really needed when on a MAC (in my opinion)
Backup------> I use SuperDuper but there is also Carbon Copy Cloner
Both are good.
I would also get Onyx (system system maintenance app)

The most used and best repair utility DiskWarrior is currently not supported for intell mac's..But when it is..It's a must have...

Then I'd also recomend these apps
Stuffit deluxe
Toast for burning

Patrick
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:24:21 pm by photopat »

bob mccarthy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 04:20:52 pm »

What do you think of Parallels Desktop for Mac to run the few applications that are not available in a Mac version?

Thanks.

Hermie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

just made the move. I elected to use boot camp. PC virus "may" be less of an issue, if the PC side gets infected. I was told that but can not confirm the authenticy of the statement. Anyway it works like a champ for me. The external drive I bought had BU software included, though the next variant of OS10 is expected to include BU software.

Bob

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:41:01 pm »

PC virus "may" be less of an issue, if the PC side gets infected. I was told that but can not confirm the authenticy of the statement. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't heard anything about that either but I would be interested to find out if virus infestation can happen on the PC side of the MacPro and not on the Mac Side.  What I do know is that Macs have been so far free of viruses.  I don't even own virus software for my Mac.  On my PC it is a different story altogether. I use Macs for 95% of my work, and made the mistake of ignoring virus/spyware/etc. protection on the PC, and I had a rude awakening!  The first time I ran the Virus/Spyware utilities, after using the PC for over a year, it found something like 400 problems!
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:33:57 am »

Since I feature both Mac and Windows plug-ins on my website, I need to run both platforms. I do this on Mac hardware, using both Parallels AND Boot Camp options on the same machine. I recommend this Intel Mac approach to anyone, Mac or PC users, since you can run everything you need to--apps and OS's--on a single machine.

I started my dual-booting experiences on Intel hardware with Parallels and it works great (Windows in its own window, or full-screen). I recently installed Windows Vista RC1 under Parallels and it too works fine. I used to use Virtual PC on older Macs; it worked in a similar manner but was quite slow.

Only recently did I try Boot Camp (I guess I was put off by the necessity of rebooting into Windows), but it's completely tolerable. I move my finished example images over to a Mac running OS-X (using a thumb drive) for further processing or to add to my ezine layout. I suppose I could do more while in Windows, but if an app runs on the Mac, I'll use it there since (IMO) the workflow is more fluid.

I recently started using PaintShop Pro X1 and have been impressed (I normally use Photoshop CS2). I use it to run plug-ins such as Richard Rosenman's and Redfield's, which are all great, but aren't available for Mac.

Alain mentioned viruses. True, I haven't seen one on the Mac since about 1998, and it was only a minor annoyance (the AutoStart virus, which took advantage of a CD's auto-play option). I don't think it did any harm though (I manage Mac computer labs in higher ed, BTW). When I use Windows, I routinely run the Windows updater to catch any new patches (some came out yesterday). It's a productivity killer--maybe people will get fed up with this Windows way of life someday!

I've used computers since the mid-'80s (DOS) and Macs since about 1992, and I honestly can't say I would recognize a virus unless someone can tell me what happens when you get one! I've never had one shut me down (only recently have I been using Windows productively for any length of time, so my time is coming, I guess!).

PS: Tech Tool Pro 4.5.1 (Mac) is offered on a Universal boot DVD. It fixes directories, optimizes, etc. I choose to run it off of a smaller hard drive partition, of from a bootable Firewire drive rather than the DVD, if possible (faster and more convenient).

It's late and I'm rambling... ;-)
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

lightcreator

• http://www.wingliu.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:17:12 am »

I'm considering a move to Mac platform. I'm investigating the costs of transferring my software licenses to Mac versions. I'm glad that I'll be able to transfer my PS CS2 license without any additional costs other than transportation.

Anybody know if I can use the US Mac version of "Artisan™ Color Reference System Software 1.2.5" on European CRT?
I was only able to find the US download but I'm not sure if I can use it on a European CRT, because they explicitely state ""NOTE: This utility is only for use with the products identified above and sold in the United States, Latin America, or Canada. Not all models are sold in all countries."

Thanks.

Hermie
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found the complaints from some pre INTEL MAC (PowerMac / PowerBook users) on PS CS 2 on INTEL MAC NOT founding.  It works fine for me.  I use both, sure maybe MacBook Pro or Mac Pro will running slightly slower - remember PS CS2 is running under Rosetta at the moment.

With regard to emails, antivirus, firewall, spyware, backup - it is mostly built in OS X - I don't think you need any.  

To the questions of CRT's software, maybe it is time for an excuse to move to LCD like NEC SpectraView 19, 20 or 21 inches (even though DIE HARD APPLE fan, I wouldn't recommend the APPLE Cinema Display because I found their colour of NOT very high consistency even though it looks like a piece of art and used by BIG-NAME PROs).

Parallels does NOT work 100% like XP PRO on Intel MAC (I regret buying it)  .  BootCamp is SUPER on my MacBook PRO 2.16ghz + 2gb ram with XP PRO.  Only thing I don't like it's the switching via STARTUP DISK.  Otherwise works just like XP PRO on PC.  In Mac OS 10.5 in future, I think APPLE is planning to allow XP PRO or VISTA to run together on the same desktop as MAC OS X - meaning maybe like user switching mode of the current OS where one does NOT restarting everytime switching between MAC and Window but with just a switch of a button.

You will love MAC man!!!  I have been a user since APPLE // era!!!

[a href=\"http://www.wingliu.com]http://www.wingliu.com[/url]      

Hermie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:35:20 am »

Thank you all for you replies so far !

> To the questions of CRT's software, maybe it is time for an excuse to move to LCD like NEC SpectraView 19, 20 or 21 inches

... and give up on the Artisan? NEVER, this beauty will have to fall apart or become uncalibrateable before I make that move. I'm jealous of people like Mr. Rodney who have a new, spare one, stored somewhere :-)

The Mac software for the Artisan is probably OK, there are still people around using the Artisan on a Mac. I'm just wondering whether there's a specific European version available/necessary.

Herman
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:45:55 am by Hermie »

bcachot

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 05:07:28 am »

Just curious as to what motivated you to look at the mac. Is it the platform / software itself, or external issues like integrating better with a team / bureau that uses them.

Andy M

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 06:59:23 am »

You may wish to have a look at: Mac Beginners Guide

I've just purchased a Mac Pro 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, ATi Radeon X1900 XT, 250GB HD and 2 x Superdrive. It came in at just above £2k and is due to be delivered tomorrow

Hermie

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 11:20:04 am »

> Just curious as to what motivated you to look at the mac. Is it the platform / software itself, or external issues like integrating better with a team / bureau that uses them.

OS/UI but also cost. The Mac Pro is of course pretty expensive but a PC with comparable specs is even more expensive (I'm not into building PC's myself). As memory from Apple is relatively expensive, I'll start with the basic memory configuration of 1GB and add additional memory myself (from what I've seen/read, even I should be able to do that).

When it comes to the costs of transferring licenses: I'm using all major RC's and only Silkypix requires an new license (they are working on a discount system though). Don't know about Nikon Capture yet.
I also checked all my plugins and no additional charges either. The only Windows  application I'll need is Qimage but I'll use Parallels Desktop or Boot Camp to run it.

> You may wish to have a look at: Mac Beginners Guide

Thanks for that link.

Herman
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:27:24 am by Hermie »

John Camp

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 01:29:43 pm »

I've just been reading Martin Evening's book on Lightroom and he says that he would recommend a minimum of 1.5G RAM to get the best performance out of the Mac/Intel; I would assume that would have to apply to Photoshop as well, since it's a much larger program.

Also, choose carefully when you decide whether to buy that extended "Apple Care" deal (I think that's what they call it.) Those extended care programs amount to grossly price-inflated insurance, and many people don't like it. When I went to the Apple store and bought a Mac, I declined the "Apple Care" but did want to buy more memory -- so the guy took the machine in the back, came back a few minutes later, with the new memory inserted, and when I paid for it, it turned out there was like a $30 service charge for putting in the new memory, because I hadn't bought the Apple Care. I'd assumed, incorrectly, that there wouldn't be a charge because I was buying a new machine and already paying an inflated price for the extra memory. Despite its somewhat iconic status in the computer world, Apple is not run at all like a charity.

JC
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:36:29 pm by John Camp »

robjr

• http://robertrodriguezjr.com
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 01:55:07 pm »

I've just been reading Martin Evening's book on Lightroom and he says that he would recommend a minimum of 1.5G RAM to get the best performance out of the Mac/Intel; I would assume that would have to apply to Photoshop as well, since it's a much larger program.

Also, choose carefully when you decide whether to buy that extended "Apple Care" deal (I think that's what they call it.) Those extended care programs amount to grossly price-inflated insurance, and many people don't like it. When I went to the Apple store and bought a Mac, I declined the "Apple Care" but did want to buy more memory -- so the guy took the machine in the back, came back a few minutes later, with the new memory inserted, and when I paid for it, it turned out there was like a $30 service charge for putting in the new memory, because I hadn't bought the Apple Care. I'd assumed, incorrectly, that there wouldn't be a charge because I was buying a new machine and already paying an inflated price for the extra memory. Despite its somewhat iconic status in the computer world, Apple is not run at all like a charity.

JC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I highly recommend purchasing AppleCare. I don't usually buy warranty services, but Apple charges obscene prices for replacement proprietary parts like logic boards, lcd panels, keyboards, etc. I've had to repair an Imac and a G5 withing the past year and the costs were 5 times what the Applecare would have been. You may not have any problems, but that's what I thought after using Apple products for over 15 years w/o any previous repairs...

Woodcorner

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 03:04:38 pm »

I highly recommend purchasing AppleCare.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As with all insurances, it might pay off or it might not pay off.
Last week my G4 Powerbook decided to go up in smoke. The motherboard and display had to be replaced. AppleCare saved my day, just 2 weeks before the warranty ended. YMMV though...

Cheers,

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up