Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New info on the Hy6  (Read 5661 times)

Graham Mitchell

New info on the Hy6
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:57:18 am »

I spoke to one of the Hy6 team at Franke & Heidecke today. After reading everything I could find about this camera a few things were unclear so I got some answers and I hope this helps you out there too.

1) There will be a new, smaller magazine/DB mount for this camera which includes new (sophisticated) digital interface.

2) Jenoptik and Sinar backs (which use mount adapters) will be useable on this new camera once the new adapters are available. Leaf and Phase One will have to make their backs available for the new mount. This is all under development now.

3) The camera is undergoing minor user-interface revisions after hundreds of feedback comments at Photokina. Sounds like these guys are really trying to give the market what it wants.

4) To rotate the rear back, you will press a button to release the back, rotate it and push it back on. Sounds like it will take only a few seconds once you become familiar with the operation.

Regards,
Graham
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:57:56 am by foto-z »

Gary Ferguson

• http://
New info on the Hy6
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:14:50 am »

To rotate the rear back, you will press a button to release the back, rotate it and push it back on. Sounds like it will take only a few seconds once you become familiar with the operation.

Graham, thanks for the update. Could you clarify something, when I use a Phase One back on a Hasselblad V camera I could describe the process for switching from landscape to portrait format in exactly the same terms that you've used.

The problem doing this with the V system is three-fold. Firstly the sensor is exposed to atmospheric dust. Secondly the back's at risk of being dropped (in thirty years I've never dropped a film back, but then again I never spent £20,000 on a film back). And thirdly you normally have to disconnect and then reconnect the cabling.

Will the rotation process with the Hy6 remove some or all of these issues?

Graham Mitchell

New info on the Hy6
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 09:21:59 am »

Will the rotation process with the Hy6 remove some or all of these issues?

There will be no cabling, so that is one big difference. From the description I received it sunds as though the back will come away from the body during this operation so it will expose the back briefly to fresh air/dust, but the easy access to the back is also what makes it so easy to switch with film backs, or to get to the sensor to clean it, etc

izaack

New info on the Hy6
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:21:47 pm »

Thanks for the update, Graham. I found this link on photo.net and thought that I'd post it here:

http://www.zoomatra.de/2006/sinar/sinar.html .

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
New info on the Hy6
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »

Thanks for the update, Graham. I found this link on photo.net and thought that I'd post it here:

http://www.zoomatra.de/2006/sinar/sinar.html .
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Love the 'Kraftwerk' style music! It matches the 70's style colouring...

-----------------------------
[a href=\"http://www.stoqq.com]http://www.stoqq.com[/url]
Nick Vasilopoulos

peterhorsley

New info on the Hy6
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:32:45 pm »

Graham, thanks for the update. Could you clarify something, when I use a Phase One back on a Hasselblad V camera I could describe the process for switching from landscape to portrait format in exactly the same terms that you've used.

.. Firstly the sensor is exposed to atmospheric dust. Secondly the back's at risk of being dropped (in thirty years I've never dropped a film back, but then again I never spent £20,000 on a film back). ...>[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adding to the above, in my mind there are two compelling reasons for a rotating back.

I seem to end up working in positions like; up a ladder, hanging over a parapete, from a moving vehicle/boat/plane, in dirty environments; where dropping something can be nasty. If I drop a film back there are always a few more to finish the job. Luckily 'I' have never dropped a back but   had plenty of fumbles and seen the occasional back go in the drink/dirt.

The other factor is speed. It's pretty normal to shoot horizontals and vertical versions of a shot, even if the layout calls for just one (!).  Rotating the whole camera is possible but with a waist level or 45 degree finder, not practical. I don't have to rotate a 6X6 back to shoot vertical.

Have we seen the specs. for:

Mirror lock up: Ideally settings for one-off mirror pre-release, shutter fire, then auto mirror return; and mirror prerelease; multi shot bracketed (or come to think of it, 4 shot DB and stitching) exposures, manual mirror down.

Bracketing: I'm thinking of wide bracketing for high dynamic range post processing; five to 7 shots a stop or so apart.

Remote release: a simple, non-propietary connector for electronic release.  (Think, we used to be able to buy a cable release for every camera in any camera store)

I see the hot shoe is on the side.  I guess there will be a right angle adapter to correctly orient Pocket Wizards or the like?  Or better, a built-in Pocket Wizard. (for flash triggering and remote release)

This kind of turned into a wish list...?

Peter

BJL

New info on the Hy6
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 03:18:46 pm »

What do we know about lenses for this system? One post in this forum says that more lenses are coming, but is there anything concrete about further AF lenses beyond the four so far for the 6008 AF: 80/2.8, 180/2.8, 50/2.8 and 60-140/4.6?

With maximum sensor sizes (so far at least) of about 37x49mm, the auto-focus lens range currently has huge gaps at the wide angle end in particular. Unless Rollei plans to follow in the footsteps of Leica, offering digital cameras that are for (mostly) manual focus usage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up