Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy with the HP 9180!  (Read 7240 times)

JimBobTX

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://www.jheupelphotography.com
Happy with the HP 9180!
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:57:06 pm »

I offer my thanks to Michael, Neil Snape, and others who have posted their evaluations and suggestions on this printer. I recently got mine from Amazon. Setup went smoothly, as has printing on glossy paper (HP Advanced Glossy). I still have to explore other papers, but I'm happy with this printer! I'm getting prints closer to my calibrated monitor than I was getting with my Canon I9900, and the colors has been great!! I'm mindful of those who have had less good fortune with their machines than I, but I think it needs to be said that there are those of us "out there" who are having success with these printers. Yes, it is a new machine, so profiles and extended lines of paper sizes will take a little while. But, as I indicated earlier in a post, I needed a replacement sooner rather than later...a replacement that would give me prints I could ethically sell for a reasonable price that would hold up over the years. Thanks Michael, Neil and others for your inputs!!!!    

Jim Heupel

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:10:19 am »

JimBob, How's the gloss differential printing with the 9180?  The 9900 being dye based has none, do you see any evidence of it?  I find that the 9900 prints quite quickly, does the 9180 print as fast? My third question concerns scuffing which I had problems with using my 2200, do the prints seem resistant to scuffing?  Thanks, Jim Haefner

DarkPenguin

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:15:14 am »

HP's claims for 9180 print times are lies.  It is not a fast printer.

chilehead

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:18:06 pm »

JimBob, How's the gloss differential printing with the 9180?  The 9900 being dye based has none, do you see any evidence of it? ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jim,

Since no one responded to your question about gloss, I thought I would try.

I don't own the 9180, but have compared the sample "HP Advanced Glossy Photo" 9180 prints HP sent to me with prints from my i9900.  If you like a high-gloss print (like Canon's Photo Paper Pro) then I don't think you will like the 9180.  If however, you like something more subdued, then the HP will appeal to you.

Coming from the i9900/dye printer perspective, I was curious to see how the HP print would compare with the Canon.  As you said, there is NO gloss differential with the Canon--the surface of the prints (too me) look very similar to the prints I used to make in the darkroom.  There IS gloss differential with the HP, but you have to look for it.  A deal breaker?  If you only print glossy, then maybe.

You can order print samples from the HP web site: That's your best bet.  Perhaps others can comment about other glossy paper options for the HP.

One warning about the sample:  HP did not exactly pull out all the stops on the quality of the sample.  It looks like it was taken with one of HP's low-end cameras!

-Mark

JimBobTX

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://www.jheupelphotography.com
Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:07:30 pm »

JimBob, How's the gloss differential printing with the 9180?  The 9900 being dye based has none, do you see any evidence of it?  I find that the 9900 prints quite quickly, does the 9180 print as fast? My third question concerns scuffing which I had problems with using my 2200, do the prints seem resistant to scuffing?  Thanks, Jim Haefner
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim,
  I think Chilehead summed the gloss differential up quite well. The gloss from the 9180 does tend to be a little subdued. On a coastal brown bear with salmon photo, overcast with water, somewhat dulled browns and greens, I notice little difference between the 9180 and the Canon I9900; with a Siberian tiger photo with strong orange and blacks, there is considerably more difference, with the 9180 being more subdued--a little more glossy than a satin.
   Print speed? The Canon I9900 wins that one. I think Dark Penguin is correct that it is not as fast. However, I must add that you also have to consider whether you are timing from when you press "print", or when the printer actually begins to print. With the Photoshop plug-in, the HP 9180 is considerably faster on the setup getting ready to print. Once sent to the printer, the Canon I9900 is faster. Over the entire print process, the Canon has the edge, but not by too much. Note however, that I never timed my Canon and haven't actually timed the HP--I'm speaking anecdotally.
   Regarding scuffing, I have not noticed any on the prints I have done so far.
      Jim Heupel

picnic

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 06:00:49 pm »

You can order print samples from the HP web site: That's your best bet.  Perhaps others can comment about other glossy paper options for the HP.

One warning about the sample:  HP did not exactly pull out all the stops on the quality of the sample.  It looks like it was taken with one of HP's low-end cameras!

-Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark, I'm searching the US HP site for the samples and so far haven't found where I could order one-I'd appreciate if you can point me to where.  I'm def. leaning toward a 3800 (coming from a 2200 and dye based wide format printers), but I'd really like to see what the HP  (and the Canon, for that matter) can do and don't think I'll be able to find someplace in my area where I can get samples.  I have a 3800 sample ordered.

Diane

chilehead

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:08:34 pm »

Mark, I'm searching the US HP site for the samples and so far haven't found where I could order one-I'd appreciate if you can point me to where. 

Diane
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yup.  The site is a little hard to navigate, Diane.  Here's the link:
[a href=\"https://h30267.www3.hp.com/country/us/en/photosmart/samples.html?pageseq=443969]HP 9180 Samples[/url]

That links directly to the samples page for the B9180.  If it does not work, let me know and I'll provide a more general link.

-Mark

BradH

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:45:21 pm »

I can't get past the $33 for 27ml of ink they are charging.  The lowest price on the web I could find is $29.
The Canon IPF5000's 130ml lists for $75, and I've seen it on the web for $65.

Brad

picnic

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:17:47 pm »

Yup.  The site is a little hard to navigate, Diane.  Here's the link:
HP 9180 Samples

That links directly to the samples page for the B9180.  If it does not work, let me know and I'll provide a more general link.

-Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Mark.  I finally did find it after googling.  I also found that inkjetart.com has samples from the 9180 and the Canon iPF5000 for sale printed wtih profiles for best results.

Diane Fields

DarkPenguin

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:48:57 pm »

I can't get past the $33 for 27ml of ink they are charging.  The lowest price on the web I could find is $29.
The Canon IPF5000's 130ml lists for $75, and I've seen it on the web for $65.
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is the nature of printers at the 9180's price point.  If you print a lot you'll pay for a very expensive printer over the cheaper one almost the second you buy it just because of the extra ink.

It is hard to tell what the final price point will be for the cartridges.   Very few people have them in stock.  (Compusa had 3 of 8.  Amazon 7 of 8.  Only HP has 8 of 8 and I guess that in the UK virtually no one has any.)  Once a large number of companies get them in stock I can start doing the $10 off coupon here and there and (after too much work for ink) get them pretty reasonably.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 10:49:37 pm by DarkPenguin »

chilehead

Happy with the HP 9180!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 07:53:54 pm »

That is the nature of printers at the 9180's price point.  If you print a lot you'll pay for a very expensive printer over the cheaper one almost the second you buy it just because of the extra ink.

It is hard to tell what the final price point will be for the cartridges.   Very few people have them in stock.  (Compusa had 3 of 8.  Amazon 7 of 8.  Only HP has 8 of 8 and I guess that in the UK virtually no one has any.)  Once a large number of companies get them in stock I can start doing the $10 off coupon here and there and (after too much work for ink) get them pretty reasonably.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Carts for the new Canon Pixma Pro 9000 are about $15 for 13 ml.  I can't say how the B9180 and the Canon compare usage wise, but the cart prices are very similar.

One thing uncertain about the HP is whether local office supply and dept. stores will stock the carts.  If not, then there may not be as much price competition (and I won't be able to use my $10-off coupons).  But maybe I am shopping at the wrong stores!
Pages: [1]   Go Up