Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon D5 and Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24  (Read 2970 times)

janica

Canon D5 and Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24
« on: October 18, 2006, 03:31:48 pm »

Dear firends,
i would like to know if the Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX will work on the D5 Canon. I have the lens and I'm thinking on buying the D5 camera. From what I eared from the people from B&H, it will work, but with poor results...
Can you please advise?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:37:32 pm »

It will vignette like crazy up until 17mm or so.  That is based on hooking it up to my Canon EOS A2.  Other than that I've no idea how the lens would perform on a 5D.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:52:04 am »

The Sigma 12-24 is designed for FF 35mm. I tested a couple of the lenses in a camera store in Bangkok recently. The extra 3mm FL over my Sigma 15-30 would have been appreciated at Angkor Wat. Centre resolution was pretty close to that of my 15-30 (at 15mm). However, at 12mm the image suffered from both vignetting and resolution degradation towards the edges, which was unacceptable and far worse than the performance of my 15-30 at the edges. Pity really! I wonder if DXO have done anything to improve results from that lens.

janica

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:57:05 am »

Basically what you are saying is that it would look as a fisheye photo, is that it? At 12mm the photo will look like a circle? I don’t suppose one can get an aspherical 12mm photo, is it possible?

Best regards,
Joao

Ray

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 09:12:40 am »

Basically what you are saying is that it would look as a fisheye photo, is that it? At 12mm the photo will look like a circle? I don’t suppose one can get an aspherical 12mm photo, is it possible?

Best regards,
Joao
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. Vignetting is a darkening of the image in the corners and edges because the image circle projected by the lens is not large enough for the format of the camera (or for reasons of an obstruction to the light at the edges, such as the rim of a filter). It is sometimes known as 'peripheral light fall-off', and is often accompanied by increased distortion and lens aberrations.

In other words, you have a crap image towards the edges.

janica

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:24 pm »

No. Vignetting is a darkening of the image in the corners and edges because the image circle projected by the lens is not large enough for the format of the camera (or for reasons of an obstruction to the light at the edges, such as the rim of a filter). It is sometimes known as 'peripheral light fall-off', and is often accompanied by increased distortion and lens aberrations.

In other words, you have a crap image towards the edges.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Ray. That’s what the guy from B&H was referring when he told me "DAN: it looks like you are looking at the subject through a sewer pipe."
As I really love this distortion of the wide angle photos, I just bought the Raynox DCR-FE180PRO for my 350D to see if I can solve the 1.6x factor. It was just $300 so I will not die from the expence…
Pages: [1]   Go Up