Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lcd res?  (Read 2599 times)

spphoto

lcd res?
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:53:13 am »

hi,

I'm looking at a dell ultrasharp 19" at 1280 x 1024.  Yes, I know there are better res screens.  But would 1280 x 1024 be plenty sufficient?

thanx!

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
lcd res?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:40:51 am »

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/10/16/could-...our-job-faster/

Bigger is faster and more efficient.  If you are shooting fashion with group of people standing around the monitor then the 30" is really great.  If you are emailing, buring, printing, adjusting raw, retouching layered PSD files, and tracking ebay auctions all at the same time, the 30" is really great.  The fact that your can rubber stamp more dust, or give ratings to more thumbnails before you have to scroll again saves alot of clicks and time.  It also saves you wrist.

If I am totally off the mark, just check one thing with the 19":  make sure this is not one of the Dell models that when you turn down the brightness, nothing changes.  My dad bought one.  Whether you set his Dell at 100% or 30% brightness you get 250cdm.  This is not usable for any serious retouching, or for adjusting images that you want to print.  I don't know the model #, but it is worth it for you to look into in the forum's past threads.

svein

lcd res?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:52:28 am »

I had two 19" CRTs for many years and they didn't look that bad. Then I replaced one with a 20" LCD and suddenly saw how horrible the other CRT looked. So I replaced that with a 24" LCD, and now the 20" looks a bit small. I still use 1024x768 on one laptop and 1400x1050 on another though, so I haven't completely forgotten how it is to work on screens with lower res. And like the previous poster said, if you're mainly doing wordprocessing and some occasional image editing then a 19" will work fine.
However, if you use a lot of windows and/or photoshop or equivalent software then you'll be happier with a higher res screen. 20" with 1600x1200 is the minimum I'd reccommend for more "advanced" use.

bcachot

lcd res?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:27:01 pm »

one issue which doesnt get mentioned much is ergonomics. High rez is great for getting more on the screen but you have to consider A)how good is my vision B)are the interface elements I have to deal with going to be too small.

Squinting and leaning forward into a monitor can screw up your back and eyes. Also  monitor rez keeps getting higher but the flexibility in scaling the interface to compensate hasnt kept up. For example the size of the tangent handle on the path tool in photoshop or Illustrator hasnt changed since version 1 yet monitor rez has more than quadrupled since then. I tried doing path editing on an ultra high rez dell 24" and got tired of clicking 3 or 4 times before I landed the handle!

PS, I wouldnt go near a dell again, for many reasons.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:28:30 pm by bcachot »
Pages: [1]   Go Up