Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D - dust magnet or not?  (Read 21239 times)

bcf

Canon 5D - dust magnet or not?
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:20:32 am »

I have had an Olympus E-1 for two years, and although it is a nice camera, I have had about enough of waiting for Oly to give it a successor with a better sensor. I would also like to use primes, particularly some of my OM Zuiko lenses at their "original" focal lens: 21mm f/3.5, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/2...

The only DSLR that would allow this at present is a Canon 5D (with adapter).

However, I have some concerns as to the build quality of the body, and to the dust problem. The E-1 is built very solidly, has seals that make it splash- and dust-proff, and was the first camera with a "Supersonic Wave Filter" (CCD cleaner) that has been very efficient: I never once had to clean my sensor in 2 years.

I contrast, the 5D is a less professionally constructed body: no seals, no mechanism against dust, and I read that it is conidered "a dust magnet" by some users.

My intended usage is mainly travel photography: I travel a lot, often "Out of the beaten track", under rough, dirty, dusty conditions, and since I intend to use mainly primes, will have to change lenses frequently. I also will not have the possibility to screen my photos on a computer screen (to detect dust spots that I may have to clean) before the end of my travels - which means that dust may accumulate without me knowing it (I guess the camera LCD is not good enough to see it unless it's huge).

Any advice from people using the 5D under similar conditions?
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:55:29 am »

With any DSLR, turn it off before switching lenses. The sensor attracts a lot more dust when the camera is on.

picnic

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 12:16:41 pm »

SNIP
I contrast, the 5D is a less professionally constructed body: no seals, no mechanism against dust, and I read that it is conidered "a dust magnet" by some users.

My intended usage is mainly travel photography: I travel a lot, often "Out of the beaten track", under rough, dirty, dusty conditions, and since I intend to use mainly primes, will have to change lenses frequently. I also will not have the possibility to screen my photos on a computer screen (to detect dust spots that I may have to clean) before the end of my travels - which means that dust may accumulate without me knowing it (I guess the camera LCD is not good enough to see it unless it's huge).

Any advice from people using the 5D under similar conditions?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80988\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can only relate my own experiences.  I have had a 5D since February or March.  I change lenses---a LOT--and almost always outdoors in less than good conditions.  I did the same with my D30, 60, 10D and 20D--and haven't found the 5D to be better or worse than any of these.  My 10Ds viewfinder has a bit of dust in it I noticed this past week when I picked it up to use it after not having shot with it for a good while.  The 5D's viewfinder is cleaner--for now (I puff it lightly when it annoys me) and the sensor is quite clean.  I cleaned it with pecpads and Eclipse before a 2 week trip to Maine and checked it at F22 against a blue sky.  Very clean--and still decently clean after returning home after changing lenses on the cliffs over looking the bays, on the trails while hiking, etc.   I checked it this past week before doing a commercial shoot and it wasn't dirty enough to use a wet method--I puffed it--or could have used a sweep of a brush (but didn't).   I carried my rocket blower with me--and would recommend that perhaps you just do this routinely--or better yet a charged brush which would probably be a better remover of dust without forcing it into other areas.  You might also clean out the chamber before starting off on your travels.  Many seem to find that the dust issue is much less after they do a chamber cleaning initially.

I think the 5D got a reputation at the beginning because of viewfinder dust (actually filings or something similar) that couldn't be handled by most people and had to be sent back to be cleaned--but this was still a small percentage of 5Ds.  Since then, one doesn't hear of VF dust as often.  The sensor dust is not a big deal--but is part of the maintenance of any but the Oly's and the new Canon Rebel.  Still---hardly what I would call a dust magnet.  

Diane Fields
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:17:36 pm by picnic »

bcf

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:30:38 pm »

I can only relate my own experiences.

Diane, that's exactly was I was expecting: practical experiences from people using the 5D under rough conditions. Thanks for a detailed reply.

Michael, you have now travelled with your 5D to China, Malaysia, Bangladesh... what is your opinion?
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

bcf

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:32:01 pm »

China, Malaysia, Bangladesh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, not Malaysia, I meant Namibia  
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 12:38:38 am »

I've used my 5D since April and haven't had any dust problems on VF or sensor. I'm careful about lens changes but have shot on tropical beaches, jungles and deserts without problems. Haven't needed to clean the CMOS yet.

My take on the dust magnet rep of the 5D is a small number of early adopters suffered terrible dust problems due to unclean factory conditions. That is, they were sold cameras with industral leavings which worked their way on to the VF and CMOS with use. In other words, the dust came from within and not from external shooting conditions. And these early adopters screammed bloody murder on every forum from here to Katmandu. I almost didn't buy a 5D after reading the endless complaining on the Paul Galbraith forums.
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

thienanhpham

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 05:43:26 am »

With any DSLR, turn it off before switching lenses. The sensor attracts a lot more dust when the camera is on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not for Canon .... When the lens pins are disconnected, the sessor will discharge right away. So it doesnt' matter if you leave the camera on....

I don't know about other brand DSLR ...

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 07:06:30 am »

Not for Canon .... When the lens pins are disconnected, the sessor will discharge right away. So it doesnt' matter if you leave the camera on....

I don't know about other brand DSLR ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's good to know. My lecturer told me different

michael

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 07:54:07 am »

I initally thought that the 5D had more dust problems than other cameras, but over time I find that it's no better or worse than any other I've used.

Michael

bcf

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:15:28 am »

That's good to know. My lecturer told me different
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81128\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, that's good to know.

Can anybody confirm? Do you swith the camera off before changing lenses?
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

bcf

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 08:18:06 am »

I initally thought that the 5D had more dust problems than other cameras, but over time I find that it's no better or worse than any other I've used.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for your reply.

Would you consider using a 5D while travelling without a way of knowing whether there is dust on the sensor (i.e., without a laptop or P2000-type device)?
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

michael

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 08:43:35 am »

I simply wouldn't consider traveling without a laptop or file storage / viewer, regardless of which camera I was using.

Michael

bcf

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 08:53:15 am »

I simply wouldn't consider traveling without a laptop or file storage / viewer, regardless of which camera I was using.

Somehow I was expecting this reply...   I should have made myself more explicit.

Of course I do carry a file storage device (Nexto), but one without screen. And no laptop, simply impractical where I go. So I was wondering if it would be OK to simply use a blower from time to time, without being able to check whether there is dust on the sensor or not.

I have been using an E-1, so this sensor cleaning stuff is new to me...
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 11:20:47 am »

The only DSLR that would allow this at present is a Canon 5D (with adapter).
Just to be clear, the original Canon 1Ds and current 1Ds2 will also allow you this freedom with Olympus lenses.  Both are very robust, environmentally sealed pro-caliber bodies AND the older 1Ds sells for the low $2,000's, about what a used 5D might cost.  Downsides to the old 1Ds relative to the 5D are noise at ISO 400 - up, lower battery life and larger size/heavier weight.  

To your point about dirt:  For some unknown reason, many Canon bodies come from the factory with dirty sensors -- or sensors that show a lot of dirt after just a few frames.  It is my finding that this is not really dirt, but excess mirror-box flocking -- the flat black anti-reflective coating they put in the mirror box.  When I get a new Canon camera now, the first thing I do is take a Pec-Pad soaked with Eclipse and CAREFULLY wipe off the sides of the mirror box. On some bodies it comes off clean while on others it comes off showing quite a bit of black residue.  At any rate, after doing this simple task I have very few sensor dirt issues.

Offered FWIW,
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:21:23 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

michael

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 11:28:30 am »

I don't believe in preemptive sensor cleaning. You're as likely to introduce new dust as you are to remove old.

Also, just a spritz from a blower is not terribly effective. I use and recommend the Arctic Butterfly.

Michael

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 01:09:19 pm »

I don't believe in preemptive sensor cleaning. You're as likely to introduce new dust as you are to remove old.

Also, just a spritz from a blower is not terribly effective. I use and recommend the Arctic Butterfly.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To clarify what I was talking about in my post above is a pre-emptive cleaning of the *mirror-box*, NOT the sensor.  When I do the above, the camera is not even on and the shutter is closed.

And I agree that the big bulb blowers are ineffective.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 01:10:30 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

bcf

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 05:42:28 pm »

Thanks for your replies!
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

benInMA

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 10:15:10 am »

I cleaned mine twice in the first 6 months, the second time I cleaned the mirror box, it was quite dirty the second time.

Since I cleaned the mirror box I haven't needed to clean it again.  

I think it was dirtier then my earlier camera initially but now that the mirror box was cleaned it's been exactly the same.

Besides in the year since the 5D came out it's gotten way way easier to remove dust spots in software.   I'm not cleaning mine again unless it gets absolutely filthy.

I am not particularly careful about changing lenses at all.  I switch constantly as I have 5 prime lenses and only one zoom.   I don't turn the camera off, point the camera down, or anything like that, about the only thing I do is make sure not to change it in the pouring rain without getting under cover.

sam_TLM

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 09:00:33 pm »

does anyone have similar lines in the 5D  sensor?

these are the 1st images of my new camera?

should i return it?  they pay me back , but they say it's usual on 5d sensor.

Test image : F.22

could it be dirty or  defective one?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 09:03:17 pm by sam_TLM »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 05:16:26 pm »

does anyone have similar lines in the 5D  sensor?

these are the 1st images of my new camera?

should i return it?  they pay me back , but they say it's usual on 5d sensor.

Test image : F.22

could it be dirty or  defective one?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, but it looks like a sensor brush hair...  And BTW, that is one dirty sensor
Jack
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up