Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 23" Apple Cinema Displays-Pink Cast  (Read 4398 times)

hubell

23" Apple Cinema Displays-Pink Cast
« on: October 16, 2006, 05:59:57 pm »

I recently purchased a 23" Apple Cinema Display for a second digital imaging workstation and, consistent with reports by others over the last two years, this sample has a quite noticeable pink cast over the right half of the screen. It also has an area in the center of the screen that appears a bit darker with a yellowish cast, but it is more subtle than the pink cast. Are these issues rampant with the 23" and 30" ACDs, to the point that it just not worth my effort to try to obtain a "clean" sample from Apple? I do have an NEC 2180UXI as my primary monitor that I have been using for six months, and it is exceptional and displays none of these problems.

bcachot

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:32:50 pm »

I recently purchased a 23" Apple Cinema Display for a second digital imaging workstation and, consistent with reports by others over the last two years, this sample has a quite noticeable pink cast over the right half of the screen. It also has an area in the center of the screen that appears a bit darker with a yellowish cast, but it is more subtle than the pink cast. Are these issues rampant with the 23" and 30" ACDs, to the point that it just not worth my effort to try to obtain a "clean" sample from Apple? I do have an NEC 2180UXI as my primary monitor that I have been using for six months, and it is exceptional and displays none of these problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I feel your pain. I purchased a Dell 24" and found a difference in brightness from left to right of 30%. I had it replaced thinking it was dud, and the replacement was worse! There seem to be a lot of problems getting these new giant monitors to have even backlighting. The only way you can really test if a monitor is up to scratch in terms of backlighting is to take a photo of a white / grey screen in store. I think that you will find most normal aspect ratio monitors up to 21 inches will have reasonably even cast and brightness in the central 2/3 of the screen. I think the higher end NECs perform reasonably well in this regard. In fact LaCie rebages one of their monitors and sells it as $2000 pro monitor (extra $1200 for a hood).

francois

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 03:51:23 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've seen many (if not all) 23" with magenta/pink or even green cast in corners. Enough to make me avoid this model. I've heard they changed the LCD panel and I don't know if the "new" ones are better as Apple seems to be dumping old models in Europe ([a href=\"http://cinemafraud.com.nyud.net:8080/]info[/url]).
As for the 30", some have a visible difference in illumination. I was lucky and mines don't seem to suffer from this issue. I would go for the 30" and check the return policy before sending my money.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 03:51:39 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up