Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley in a day?  (Read 6592 times)

tuna

Death Valley in a day?
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:53:42 am »

I will be in the Las Vegas/Zion/Bryce area this October 26-30.

I was thinking of trying to get to DV, which I have never been to, for a day or so.  Is it advisable to go for a day?  If so, what are the 'can't miss' spots?  Or should I just wait until I've got 3 - 4 days to devote to it?

Thanks!

howiesmith

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 12:19:38 pm »

Take the day to decise you need much more time.  For one day from LV, I would leave very early.  The Dunes at sunrise are a must see.  The dunes in the evening are a must see.  In between, it is high sun.  Go see something you don't need to photograph this trip.  Drive uo to Scotty's.  Take some side trips that are also must sees at sunrise or sunset.  Use the day to plan your next visit.

The Race Course is unique.  But early or late day, and 50+ miles of not so smooth road (RT).  

Bad Water and Devil's Golf Course are on or very near main N-S road.

The charcoal kilns at Wild Rose are nice.  Usually cool in the summer, and may be snowy in winter.  Long drive from the Valley.

There is stuff all over the place.  Take some time to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, DV is huge, and many of the photo opts are dawn and/or dusk.  Maybe two locations a day tops.  But plrnty to see if you are willing to leave your camera in the car.

Nearest town is Beatty.  Food is mediocre at its best.  See the Bull Frog gold mine and Ryolite is interesting.  Then drive down Titus Canyon.  Rough unpaved road, one way (toward DV).  Can be driven in ordinary car with care.

Then there are many side roads.  You can spend a half to several days on many of them.

Too much to see in a day, a week or a month.  Different times of year are different.

Then the trip beack to LV after dark is long.  MAkes a long day.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:20:50 pm by howiesmith »

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »

tuna

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:48:07 pm »

Check out this thread.

- DL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks guys!

howiesmith

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:16:34 pm »

I just checked mapquest.com and it looks like about 9 hours rt from LV to DV.  If you leave in the morning early enoght to get there before dawn, and leave after dark, you are pushing a 24 hour day.  To me that is a long time.  Got coffee?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 06:34:48 pm »

Thanks guys. I was about to ask for DV suggestions myself. I will be there for nine days in late January. Any more tips will be greatly appreciated!

I will emerge from DV on the west and try to visit Mono Lake (haven't been there since 1971), then heading south for a little time in Joshua Tree NP and maybe Mohave Desert before heading out to San Diego to visit frienfds. Any other suggestions for good spots on the way south from, say, Bishop?

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

howiesmith

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:00:47 pm »

Thanks guys. I was about to ask for DV suggestions myself. I will be there for nine days in late January. Any more tips will be greatly appreciated!

I will emerge from DV on the west and try to visit Mono Lake (haven't been there since 1971), then heading south for a little time in Joshua Tree NP and maybe Mohave Desert before heading out to San Diego to visit frienfds. Any other suggestions for good spots on the way south from, say, Bishop?

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are going to be in DV for an extended stay, don't skip the Race Track.  I think the best racing rocks are at the far south end and on the east side.  Low angle light helps define the rock tracks and texture of the dried mud. You used to be able to dry camp just south of the race track which made it possible to drive in in the afternoon, enjoy the area and some get some photos while scouting the next mornings ideas.  The area around the Grand Stand is interesting with some good morning light/shadows and mountain shapes.

Skidoo is a nice mine mill site hanging on the side of DV.  Side road trip on the way to Wlid Rose.  The town is gone, but the mine remains.  Last time gold was $700, folks were mining the tailings.

Scotty's was interesting, not worth the time (my opinion) unless it is mid-day and you are waiying for some good light.  I recommend the clock tower area for some unusual shots.  You will need a tripod and bring a spare bag of DoF.  Only place for food and gas for miles though.  It is near the start of the trip to the Race Course.  The drive from Furnace Creek or Stove Pipe up to Scotty's is a good opportunity to see the desert.  Watch for unusual desert photo ops along the drive.

Around Bishop are the South Lake/Lake Sabrina/North Lake areas.  Likely closed for snow in winter.  BarBQue Bill's used to be a good eat.  Schotz (spelling) bakery is a must.  If you are a Galen Rowell fan, he has a sales room in Bishop (I think).  In the old bank building near the center of town on the east side of the street.  Depending on the time of year, I enjoy trout fishing in the Bishop Creek area.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:04:57 pm by howiesmith »

Paul Sumi

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:54:52 pm »

Around Bishop are the South Lake/Lake Sabrina/North Lake areas.  Likely closed for snow in winter.  BarBQue Bill's used to be a good eat.  Schotz (spelling) bakery is a must.  If you are a Galen Rowell fan, he has a sales room in Bishop (I think).  In the old bank building near the center of town on the east side of the street.  Depending on the time of year, I enjoy trout fishing in the Bishop Creek area.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FYI for the OP, Bishop, CA is quite a distance from Death Valley.  I think it's over 100 miles west from DV to Lone Pine in the Owens Valley, and at least another hour's drive north from there to Bishop.

Galen Rowell's gallery is indeed in Bishop as is Eric Schat's bakery.

South Lake and North Lake were both showing peak fall color when I was there a week ago.  Tioga Pass was briefly closed due to snow.  Bodie got a dusting of snow also.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:00:34 pm by PaulS »

Eric Myrvaagnes

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 09:30:49 pm »

Thank you Howie and Paul for the tips. I have been to both North Lake and South Lake, but only in the summer (start and end of a Sierra Club high-light trip). I imagine I'll have to stick to pretty low elevations in January.

Eric

howiesmith

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 11:35:54 pm »

Thank you Howie and Paul for the tips. I have been to both North Lake and South Lake, but only in the summer (start and end of a Sierra Club high-light trip). I imagine I'll have to stick to pretty low elevations in January.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you have been on a Sierra Club high-light trip, you already knoe all the good eats in the area.

camilla

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:43:59 am »

to get back to the original question I really believe that going to Death Valley on this trip would not be a great choice.

If you are going to be in the Zion/ Bryce area there is so much to see and photograph and enjoy that you will not even think of tearing yourself away from all of that. If you really believe you have finished Zion and Bryce you can always drive to Lake Powell and hire someone to take you up to Alstrom Point. However, with such a short amount of time available how about just enjoying the area you are in which is truly a magical one.

Death Valley is absolutely amazing but you really need the time and most places as someone has already said, are really sunrise and sunset shots. Too much driving for one day. Death Valley deserves at least 3 days when you have them available...
Just my modest opinion...

Eric Myrvaagnes

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:38:13 am »

If you have been on a Sierra Club high-light trip, you already knoe all the good eats in the area.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
After a couple of weeks of trail and camp food, the first meal back on the road tasted heavenly. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, however. I'll have to dig up my log book for that trip.

Eric

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 03:17:54 pm »

Any other suggestions for good spots on the way south from, say, Bishop?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Alabama Hills of course, just west of Lone Pine. Also you might take a short side trip east from Big Pine to the top of the Inyo's - should be open in winter most times and you get great panorama shots of snow covered Sierra Nevada (best in morning obviously).

- DL
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 03:18:11 pm by dlashier »

Peter McLennan

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 03:58:16 pm »

On the way to DV from LV is "Dante's View".  I wouldn't miss that for the woild.  Watch for signs.  

Even if I only had one day, I'd do it.  As others have said, leave early.  As in before dawn.  

howiesmith

Death Valley in a day?
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 04:13:21 pm »

On the way to DV from LV is "Dante's View".  I wouldn't miss that for the woild.  Watch for signs. 

Even if I only had one day, I'd do it.  As others have said, leave early.  As in before dawn. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great spot to see all of the valley.  Leave LV like 5 or 6 hours before dawn to be there by sunrise.  Dante's View is on the east side of DV, so the valley will stil be in shade at dawn.  DV can be still (less wind) early, so expect less air borne dust and clearer views.  Later in the day, when the winds in the valley kick up, the views can get pretty crummy looking from dust.

In late October, expect Dante's View to be very cold and very windy.  Be prepared.  The peak is like 5000 feet high and totally exposed.  It might be 60 degrees colder (maybe more, maybe less, a guess, but it will be significantly colder) than Furnace Creek at noon.  The wind makes it feel worse.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:15:32 pm by howiesmith »
Pages: [1]   Go Up