Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Schewe “The Digital Negative-2nd ed.”. $775?!  (Read 4991 times)

MikeCasson

Schewe “The Digital Negative-2nd ed.”. $775?!
« on: July 22, 2018, 05:10:30 pm »

Hey everyone,

I’m new to this forum and have seen great reviews of Jeff Schewe’s “The Digital Negative-2nd ed.” I wanted to purchase a copy and was pretty shocked (to say the least) that it is offered new at about $775.00. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong places? Why so much $$?

Thanks for any feedback.

Mike

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Schewe “The Digital Negative-2nd ed.”. $775?!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »

It's available from the link below for much less than that, but still amazingly expensive:

Digital Negative 2nd Edition

You can also get a Kindle edition from Amazon for about 30 bucks.Kobo has an ereader version for about 40 dollars: Kobo ereader version
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MikeCasson

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 05:45:32 pm »

Thanks Mark. Appreciate the info. I usually like to have a physical copy, but in this case I may go with the ebook. Or wait and hope the price drops a bit.

Does it come with anything besides the book itself-like maybe a new camera? ;) Just wondering if I lose anything by buying it used...

Mike

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 06:04:59 pm »

Just the book. No hardware. Buying used is fine if the book is in good condition. Abebooks has pretty strict rules about sellers' condition descriptions and return policies.

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 07:34:55 pm »

It's available from the link below for much less than that, but still amazingly expensive:

Digital Negative 2nd Edition

You can also get a Kindle edition from Amazon for about 30 bucks.Kobo has an ereader version for about 40 dollars: Kobo ereader version

According to the Peachpit web site the book is no longer in print, which explains a high price. One Amazon reseller is offering the book new for $3345.47. It is a very good book, but anyone who pays that price is crazy. Perhaps Jeff should put out a 3rd Edition at an increased but reasonable price.

Bill

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 07:54:43 pm »

A few books available via Amazon UK and ran a quick check on EbayUK - prices range from £16 - £33.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:12:34 pm »

According to the Peachpit web site the book is no longer in print, which explains a high price. One Amazon reseller is offering the book new for $3345.47. It is a very good book, but anyone who pays that price is crazy. Perhaps Jeff should put out a 3rd Edition at an increased but reasonable price.

Bill

As a collector of out-of-print books in the arts/graphic arts areas, I have come to the realization that prices of these items are set by two factors: (A) dealers pricing according to what they think they can get for it, and/or (B) competitive conditions on the market if there are many copies available. The fewer the copies around the more (A) is determinative and the more copies around the more (B) is determinative. The people paying the market clearing price are not crazy - if that is what they think the book is worth to them, they'll pay it and that's a rational decision - like everything else in an open market, value is in eye of the beholder and it's not for others to pass judgment on it.

Only Jeff can decide whether changes in the software environment since the 2nd edition make a 3rd edition worthwhile. It's a huge amount of work putting these kind of books together, the returns to authors are not high and the contracts usually allocate the risk of unsold copies by clawing back author's royalties. Another option would be for the publisher to do a reprint of the 2nd edition, but they would need to be convinced they could sell another print run, because those print runs need to be fairly large to justify the expense.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 08:36:21 pm »

What a shame it is out of print!  I want to say, “How can this be,” but I’m pretty sure it must be about the economics of it. 

I wonder if Jeff could fill us in on possible future availability?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 09:46:22 pm »

Back in September, 2015, I paid U.S. $49 for both the paper edition and the electronic one.  Hopefully, if Jeff publishes a third edition—or if Peachpit reissues the second one—that bundle will be available again.  The paper version is more pleasant to read, at least for me, but when I need information on a specific topic the electronic one is preferable because you can perform text searches rather than being limited to the index entries.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 12:26:03 am »

One Amazon reseller is offering the book new for $3345.47.
Does that one include a copy of Rhein II?

I'm glad I got my copy while it was new.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:46:03 am »

wonder if Jeff could fill us in on possible future availability?

Oh, it's out of print for sure...seems when the 2nd edition came out they didn't print a large print run thinking they (Peachpit) could throw it back on press to print more...they had to do that 2 times for the 1st book.

Sadly Peachpit is pretty much gone and the powers that be think computer books like mine are too expensive to print–we always went to a really good printer which wasn't cheap. But in addition to the printed book being too expensive, the electronic book is simply too cheap to produce so they are incentivized to keep selling the ebooks.

So, I don't know what to tell you...there have been enough changes (and some soon to be released changes) to make it worthwhile to do a 3rd edition but it's gonna have to be a different publisher–maybe Adobe Press (also published by Pearson but "helped" a bit by Adobe). That's who publishes Martin's Lightroom book.

BTW, I have a cache of ten books...if somebody wants to pay me $3345.47 I might consider it! (and no that Amazon seller isn't me :~)

You can still buy the printed version of The Digital Print–stuff really hasn't changed much in that arena...

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 01:54:45 am »

BTW, if you do want to buy the ebook, buy it from Pearson/Peachpit and you get 3 different ebook formats; EPUB, MOBI, and PDF. If you are reading it on an iPad or computer, the PDF is the most like having the book because there's no type reflowing and the design matches the printed book. Kindle and iBooks allow type resizing which screws up the design :~(

You can also read the book via The Digital Negative on Safari Books Online

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 11:59:00 am »

I look forward to the 3rd edition.  Yes, I prefer digital versions these days to printed books.  I've simply run out of shelf space.
Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 12:52:23 pm »

...there have been enough changes (and some soon to be released changes) to make it worthwhile to do a 3rd edition ...........

Jeff, could you outline, no great detail sought here, what you think the major changes/innovations have been that would figure prominently in a 3rd edition?

KeithR

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 03:25:01 pm »

BTW, if you do want to buy the ebook, buy it from Pearson/Peachpit and you get 3 different ebook formats; EPUB, MOBI, and PDF. If you are reading it on an iPad or computer, the PDF is the most like having the book because there's no type reflowing and the design matches the printed book. Kindle and iBooks allow type resizing which screws up the design :~(

Which format would you recommend for an Andriod tablet? I have both PDF & Kindle apps on it at the moment.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 04:14:21 pm »

...there have been enough changes (and some soon to be released changes)

You'll have me up thinking all night with that comment. Like Mark, now I'm curious. Maybe a LULA video as well...

MikeCasson

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 07:37:19 pm »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Jeff thanks for waying in too. I usually prefer a hard copy, but I think I’ll go ahead and get the ebook for now and wait impatiently for the 3rd edition. I think it’s worth it. I appreciate your time and effort.

MikeCasson

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »

Well I bought the ebook version. Looking forward to working through it. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!

Schewe

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 11:16:58 pm »

Jeff, could you outline, no great detail sought here, what you think the major changes/innovations have been that would figure prominently in a 3rd edition?

Well, TDN R2 was finished just on the heals of Lightroom 6/CC2015 shipped about April 2015 but I held off finishing the book until June because I knew some stuff was due to be added to CC2015.1 (but not 6.1) like Dehaze...

So, think back on all the features added since CC2015.1 and you'll have some ideas...the big recent things was the new Effects Profiles ability. But, Thomas and Eric, Josh and Max don't stand still and some new stuff is due to appear in the near future. (and just so you know I'm not breaking any NDA's because something new is ALWAYS about to appear in the near future :~)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 11:30:57 pm »

Fair enough - in this world quite a bit happens over a period going on three years now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up