Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MacBook Pro Issue  (Read 1855 times)

JoeKitchen

New MacBook Pro Issue
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:10:43 am »

I just bought a new MacBook Pro, replacing an 4 year old model. 

I noticed this morning one thing that I have issue with, is that when I connect to an external hard drive and "drag and drop" files to move over, the system automatically deletes the files from the current location.

In my past model, this would only happen when I moved files within the same hard drive (whether on the computer or the external hard drive), however if moving files from one drive to another, those files remained in the original location as well (until deleted). 

I would like to revert back to this have my new MacBook work in this fashion.  I maintain multiple backups of my images and it would just be easier to work like this, especially since I am use to it. 

Is there a way to do this? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

smahn

Re: New MacBook Pro Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:55:42 am »

Not the answer you're looking for, just for my own curiosity, does option+drag copy them?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
New MacBook Pro Issue
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:03:52 am »

That it is strange... because that is done by Mac OS... I have the latest version on my macbook 2015 and it does not do that...

http://dgpfotografia.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 11:04:05 am »

Not the answer you're looking for, just for my own curiosity, does option+drag copy them?

Yes, this is the solution. 

So you can not actually drag and drop files anymore with just using the track pad; you need to hold down either Command or Option.  (I had not yet tried option when I posted earlier.) 

Command will delete the files from the original location after the upload is complete.  Using Option will only make a copy of the files. 

Edit

Or maybe I am going crazy.  If you click a folder individually, or use the select all key function, you can just drag and drop.  When doing this though, a small green plus circle does not appear, which does appear when holding down Option, which leads me to believe that you still need to hold Option down to avoid the files from being deleted at the original location. 

However. if you select multiple folder/files individually while holding down Command, or click and drag your curser over multiple files to select them, you can not drag and drop without holding down either Command or Option anymore. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:09:54 am by JoeKitchen »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:12:33 am »

That it is strange... because that is done by Mac OS... I have the latest version on my macbook 2015 and it does not do that...

Ditto (2016 MBP), not a normal behavior, something else is going on here.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:19:16 am »

Ditto (2016 MBP), not a normal behavior, something else is going on here.

I am starting to feel like this is me.  I am having varying success in reproducing the original problem. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:21:38 am »

I am starting to feel like this is me.  I am having varying success in reproducing the original problem.
Reboot into Safe mode (hold down Shift key), any change?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:25:39 am »

Reboot into Safe mode (hold down Shift key), any change?

Actually for the last couple of minutes, I can reproduce the problem at all.  Perhaps my fingers where a bit wet, which typically screws up the track pad.   ???

It does still have me kind of nervous, but if I can't make it happen again, it was probably nothing. 

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 11:28:43 am »

Actually for the last couple of minutes, I can reproduce the problem at all.  Perhaps my fingers where a bit wet, which typically screws up the track pad.   ???

It does still have me kind of nervous, but if I can't make it happen again, it was probably nothing.

Maybe some new combination of fingers for the bigger trackpad that now the MacBooks have? Check the trackpad options... just in case...

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 11:31:38 am »

I noticing that the track pad has two levels of "clicking."  A lite tap will click the image and allow you to drag.  A more forceful tap, in which you feel the track pad clicking down twice, pulls up a pop-up-window giving you information on the file or folder. 

Perhaps this is the issue?

I also tend to use two fingers to drag and drop, my thumb to hold the track pad down and my middle finger to do the moving.  This could be the issue too. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 11:40:08 am »

I think I figured it out. 

I typically click once on the item I want to drag and drop, then release, and click again this time trying to move it.  I guess I got into this habit from when I needed to drag and drop multiple folders. 

With this new track pad, the amount of time allotted between a double click is more (I think) then previous models.  So you can click twice with a slightly longer pause between the two and still have it register as a double click. 

If I wait just a little longer to click down the 2nd time, the drag and drop works.  Likewise, if I just click once, without releasing, and drag & drop, it still works.  I can only get it to fail when I almost simulate a double click, but without releasing the 2nd time. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:43:42 am by JoeKitchen »

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 12:55:42 pm »

Interesting Joe, I was going to suggest trying it with a mouse attached to see if it's the hardware/OS or the trackpad, but you seem to have figured it out.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:30 pm »

Command/drag and drop "moves" a file ... copies it then deletes the original (if they are on different drives).  Option drag will force a copy in a situation where you are not trying to "move" it, typically when you are trying to copy the file to another location on the same drive.

Somehow your challenges with the trackpad seems to be triggering the command drag behavior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up