Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Kind of Blue

(1/4) > >>

RMW:
Hello All.

Have recently encountered a problem with screen to print matching. The printed blues are pale compared to the on screen blues.

Here's a rundown of the workflow on the attached photo:

1. Calibrated iMac 2011 screen with a Color Munki. Use Adobe Pro Photo. The image was over 100 megabytes.
2. Just rechecked setup for color management according to Andrew Rodney 2018 video.
3. Rechecked Custom Proof Condition. Use Moab ICC profile.
4. Softproofed: Matched simulated image with ICC profile to un-simulated image- as I usually do.
5. Ran complete nozzle check and head cleaning on Epson R2880.
6. Used fresh paper.

Usually my print to screen matches are pretty good. But not with this image or a couple of others I recently tried. And here's what baffles me, too. When I run a color/b&w test print it comes out just right.

(I started seeing this problem last Friday.)

Would appreciate any suggestions for where to look for the problem.

Thanks!

Richard
richardwallerphotos.com

Simon J.A. Simpson:
Have you tried printing with a different rendering intent ?  For example: 'Relative' instead of 'Perceptual' ?

Sometimes this can help get a better rendition of a print relative to the screen image.

ColourPhil:
Is an iMac 2011 screen in Adobe RGB colour space?
If not, could be that you can't display some 'blues' correctly.
Have you tried printing a 'standard' image without correction?
How is it with other papers (with correct profiles)?

Cheers,
Phil

Simon J.A. Simpson:
A 2011 iMac does not have an Adobe 2018 colour space (I have the same iMac).

The OP can check whether the blue is within gamut by doing a gamut check – easier in Lightroom which offers the facility when proofing in the Develop module.

The attached JPG does not a profile attached to it but assigning ProPhoto RGB makes the very pale water water a pale turquoise blue (there might be a clue here ?).

I have checked the resulting image in Lightroom and it is within the gamut of the iMac's monitor.

RMW:
Thank you both for offering suggestions.

Simon, Thanks for checking out of gamut. Attached jpg was originally PhotoPro. It was converted to sRGB for this forum.  I tried Perceptual instead of Relative Colorimetric, but saw no discernible difference.

Phil, tried printing a 'standard image' (which I take to mean one without an ICC for printing) without correction and got the the same very pale blues. Previously, the screen's vibrant blues could be matched in the print.

Will go to Epson website to see what I can learn.

Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version