Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Incredible shrinking canvas

(1/2) > >>

mearussi:
I just completed my experiment with Hahnemuhle Cezanne 100% cotton canvas, and though it looks good initially, when I coated it with a foam roller using Eco Printed Shield it shrank and buckled.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before (it's a first for me with any canvas)?

I.T. Supplies:
We sell it but I haven't done anything with it yet.  If you're having issues with the canvas after coating, best option would be to contact Hahnemuhle directly and their tech department can help you (hopefully resolve the issue).  815-502-5880

mearussi:

--- Quote from: I.T. Supplies on July 18, 2018, 10:27:41 am ---We sell it but I haven't done anything with it yet.  If you're having issues with the canvas after coating, best option would be to contact Hahnemuhle directly and their tech department can help you (hopefully resolve the issue).  815-502-5880

--- End quote ---
I have, but the tech (Travis) is on the road and isn't responding to emails.

I don't know if I just got a bad sample (Carol sent me a 24" x 16' sample roll) or if this is the norm, but it's like the company that applied the coating forgot to put down a water proof barrier first before applying the inkjet receptive layer. Premier Art recommends three thin layers and when I applied the first layer the canvas just soaked it up like a sponge. And by the third layer the canvas had warped, buckled and shrank (I allowed the canvas to dry at least 30 minutes before applying the next coat).

But if you haven't tested yours out you might want to before selling them to your customers, because no one is going to be happy with this kind of performance. BTW, (what I'm assuming is) the batch # on my sample is MR 20220417082105, which if you've got any of you definitely want to check it. There's also a reference # 10 643 563

Please let me know if you find out anything.

Rob Reiter:

--- Quote from: mearussi on July 17, 2018, 12:07:47 pm ---I just completed my experiment with Hahnemuhle Cezanne 100% cotton canvas, and though it looks good initially, when I coated it with a foam roller using Eco Printed Shield it shrank and buckled.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before (it's a first for me with any canvas)?

--- End quote ---

Same thing happens with Breathing Color Chromata White canvas, and probably every other canvas that has a cotton component. The Chromata White is a cotton/polyester blend and the cotton threads must run in the direction of the roll, since that is the only dimension that shrinks when coated. It's not an identical shrinkage each time, but pretty close to 1%, so I just stretch the image by that amount before printing.

Are there any cotton canvases out there that don't do this?

mearussi:

--- Quote from: Rob Reiter on July 18, 2018, 12:38:46 pm ---Same thing happens with Breathing Color Chromata White canvas, and probably every other canvas that has a cotton component. The Chromata White is a cotton/polyester blend and the cotton threads must run in the direction of the roll, since that is the only dimension that shrinks when coated. It's not an identical shrinkage each time, but pretty close to 1%, so I just stretch the image by that amount before printing.

Are there any cotton canvases out there that don't do this?

--- End quote ---
I've never had any canvas do this to me before. I've coated Epson matte, BC Lyve and Canson's Museum ProCanvas matte (100% cotton). This is just extreme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version