Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire near Yosemite  (Read 2625 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Fire near Yosemite
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:28:42 am »

Once again a major fire is headed toward Yosemite creating plenty of smoke in the Valley and placing my town on preevacuation notice.  Luckily I have left the canyon, but I'm worried this fire may burn until the first rains come in October.  I hope I have a home when I return.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/3900664-ferguson-fire-burning-in-yosemite-impacts-tourism/

JoeKitchen

Re: Fire near Yosemite
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:49:19 am »

Once again a major fire is headed toward Yosemite creating plenty of smoke in the Valley and placing my town on preevacuation notice.  Luckily I have left the canyon, but I'm worried this fire may burn until the first rains come in October.  I hope I have a home when I return.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/3900664-ferguson-fire-burning-in-yosemite-impacts-tourism/

It is unfortunate, but fires like these are just going to continue until the century+ worth of built up dry fuel on the forest floors, from our overly ambitious campaign of stopping wild fires, is all burnt up. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

HSakols

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 11:53:44 pm »

It is unfortunate, but fires like these are just going to continue until the century+ worth of built up dry fuel on the forest floors, from our overly ambitious campaign of stopping wild fires, is all burnt up.

Do you not do controlled burns/hazard reduction each year to avoid this?  https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/hazard-reductions
Phil Brown

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 04:01:57 pm »

Do you not do controlled burns/hazard reduction each year to avoid this?  https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/hazard-reductions

No, we do not. 

In the Northeast of the country, we cut fire breaks in the forest, which are just wide bare strips that extend for miles.  That way if a fire breaks out, it can only spread so far. 

So far as I know, the West Coast does not do this either. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 05:27:43 pm »

No, we do not. 

In the Northeast of the country, we cut fire breaks in the forest, which are just wide bare strips that extend for miles.  That way if a fire breaks out, it can only spread so far. 

So far as I know, the West Coast does not do this either.

That's crazy :(  We create fire breaks as well, as needed, but if you prevent the natural, seasonal flow of fire then you reach unnatural levels of fuel which result in absolutely uncontrollable fires.  A break does little when there's wind.  Bushfires are a way of life here - my state volunteer bush fire brigade (the Rural Fire Service) is the largest volunteer fire service in the world, with over 73,000 members.  We use a 6 level danger rating scheme from "low-moderate" to "catastrophic".  We've had some really bad events over the years around the country.  Failure to do hazard reduction is usually a major factor in the severity of the fires.

Anyway, I hope everyone is safe over there and maybe your authorities will consider controlled burns for hazard reduction.
Phil Brown

HSakols

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 05:52:51 pm »

First of all this fire started west of Yosemite National Park in a very rugged area.  Much of the area that is burning is so rugged that few roads are developed.  Much of the fuel are trees that have been killed due to a beetle investation and drought.  For two years the state and county have been working aggressively to remove beetle killed trees.  As locals all know there has been no shortage of fire wood for the winter monthes. I have now been evacuated from my town for days.  Our fire fighters are doing a fabulous job protecting our town and property.  Sadly one has already lost their life protecting our community. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/braden-varney-killed-today-ferguson-fire-northern-california-yosemite-national-park-2018-07-14/

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 06:23:46 pm »

I read about the lost firefighter with much sadness.  It's always tragic when someone is working to protect others and pays the ultimate price :(  No doubt everyone there is doing their utmost.

There's quite a lot of sharing of information, techniques, experiences, tactics, and so on between the fire fighting organisations around the world.  I know in past seasons, we have sent people there and vice versa (our seasons being opposite, obviously).  Rugged areas preclude much in the way of intervention but, of course, they are typically less populated as well.  Hazard reduction focusses on the areas closer to populations and in corridors likely to channel fires toward those populated areas.

Just 9 years ago we had our worst ever bushfire disaster in which 173 people lost their lives and another 414 were injured :(  There was also massive loss of property - over 2,000 homes destroyed plus another 1,500 structures damaged and over a million acres burned out with 12,000 stock animals killed and an estimated one million native animals.  There were around 400 individual fires burning in the area at the time.  The aftermath of that is what lead to a new categorisation table, including the "catastrophic" level.  The ensuing Royal Commission found that a lack of hazard reduction and poor management of the fuel loads contributed significantly to the disaster.  This despite such processes being normal and standard for years across the country.  Sometimes processes breakdown or people forget why they're so important.

Again, I'm hoping everyone else there remains safe and that you will be able to return to your home soon.
Phil Brown

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 07:02:47 pm »

The U.S. Forest Service, part of the federal Department of Agriculture, conducts controlled burns in the woodlands under its jurisdiction; here is an example of a recent public notice regarding several scheduled burns in the part of the country where I live.  I believe many U.S. states also use controlled burns from time to time.

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 07:11:35 pm »

Thanks for the info, Chris.
Phil Brown

BradSmith

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 10:04:45 pm »

The National Forest Service and the National Park Service both routinely conduct prescribed burns on the western slopes of the Sierras surrounding and in Yosemite National Park.  But the area is vast and I imagine that there is a "backlog" of areas that are more than ready for a prescribed, preventive burn. 
Brad

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 07:24:21 am »

My brother lives almost at the top of the hill in Glendale and there is vegetation management that begins right after the rain season ends in early April.  They have not had any fire incidents since the program was started some years ago.  One of the difficulties in California is the proximity of cities near fire zones and the difficulty in properly managing things.  Rainfall differs throughout the state and is very spotty or even non-existent during the summer months.  Fire danger can be exacerbated after rainy winters followed by very hot and dry summers.  A year ago there was a bad fire just outside Santa Rosa north of San Francisco.  We have good friends who live about 20 miles away in the Sonoma wine country who were not affected at all since all the vineyards provided a 'buffer' between their house and the fire zone.  It all comes down to weather and geography.

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 03:55:52 pm »

Prior to the mid-'70s fire suppression was de rigueur at the national level in the US. But while changing that approach was a good & wise thing, in retrospect we likely didn't do enough controlled burning to clear out the fuel buildup that had been allowed to happen under the suppression policy. Not sure if this has anything to do with the current fires, but rather to point out that we do have a controlled burn policy.

-Dave-

HSakols

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 10:07:58 pm »

Another fallen hero protecting my community.  Many Prayers and thanks for your service and dedication!
https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/firefighter-from-sequoia-and-kings-canyon-national-parks-killed-on-ferguson-fire/1332940537

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 01:43:40 am »

:(
Phil Brown

HSakols

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 10:47:21 am »

Here is a nice compilation of the fire fighting efffort.  As of this time Yosemite Valley remains closed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/usfsregion5/sets/72157699538250975/page1

HSakols

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 09:30:03 pm »

As of today Yosemite National Park remains closed indefinately except for limited access via HWY 395. 

Here is a group of Somoan fire fighters singing. Pretty amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GehBhmNtCGs

HSakols

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 07:55:45 pm »

Here is what Yosemite National Park looked like yesterday.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:28:22 pm »

Here is what Yosemite National Park looked like yesterday.

Does the Park Service still plan to open the Valley tomorrow (Tuesday)?

Two23

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »

I have just spent two weeks in western Washington.  There are fires there too, of course.  We were doing a longer hike in Northern Cascades NP when I noticed we hadn't seen anyone in hours.  As we went over a crest we immediately saw thick smoke coming from the next ridge over!  My wife was getting nervous, but I figured we were OK because while it looked close it was really pretty far away, and the wind was perpendicular to our path.  Below is a photo I took.  Also took a photo of the smoke pouring over the town we stayed the night in--Winthrop, Washington.

There were groups of firefighters in every restaurant we ate in, and I talked to some of them.  I was told that 85% of the fires in the West were started by people, and the biggest problem (from their POV) was people building houses in the forest.  I agreed people should either build homes underground (or otherwise fireproof) or just accept that homes in the forest are ephemeral. 

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up