Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The world is laughing.  (Read 21102 times)

James Clark

Re: The world is laughing.
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 11:04:58 pm »

Crap. The bandwidth needed to transfer the files was greater than a hacker on the internet could manage. This points to a direct download to a usb or similar.

That's not correct.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170814/11490537992/stories-claiming-dnc-hack-was-inside-job-rely-heavily-stupid-conversion-error-no-forensic-expert-would-make.shtml

For reference, here's the original article that started the misconception:

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-new-report-raises-big-questions-about-last-years-dnc-hack/

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:18:44 pm by James Clark »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 11:19:20 pm »

Jim,  Could the DNC servers slow down the transfer even if the internet is faster?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 11:22:30 pm »

To cut through the rhetoric for a moment,
it's a funny old world where someone who is attempting to make the planet more peaceable is villified.

James Clark

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 11:29:34 pm »

Jim,  Could the DNC servers slow down the transfer even if the internet is faster?

Sure.  The transfer rate would top out at the maximum speed the slowest point of connection.   (Edit - but it wouldn't be the server itself)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:40:10 pm by James Clark »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 11:34:22 pm »

Sure.  The transfer rate would top out at the maximum speed the slowest point of connection. 
Do we have any info on the servers?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 11:35:40 pm »

Me?  I'm still trying to figure out why my photos on the camera's memory card won't transfer to Lightroom in my desktop about half the time. 

James Clark

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 11:36:33 pm »

To cut through the rhetoric for a moment,
it's a funny old world where someone who is attempting to make the planet more peaceable is villified.

To be clear, I have zero problem with making the world a more peaceful place. 

For the record, I also have zero problem with trying to create better relations with Russia, North Korea, China or whomever.  I'm generally favor of dialogue, no matter who it might be with, and I'll admit without reservation that being more open to the kind of high-level meetings is an area in which I give Trump credit. I just don't think he's competent enough to take advantage of these opportunities that he's creating, and that's unfortunate.   He also has an unfortunate tendency to reward autocrats and insult egalitarian democracies.  Except Norway - he seems to love Norway.  Go figure?

James Clark

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 11:38:36 pm »

Do we have any info on the servers?

Not that I know of, but the transfer rates in question would be connection limited, not processor limited.  What we would need to know would be the transfer rates of the DNC's Internet connection, for example, and as the TechCrunch article states, a business connection at that time would have absolutely been capable of reaching those speeds. 

James Clark

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »

Me?  I'm still trying to figure out why my photos on the camera's memory card won't transfer to Lightroom in my desktop about half the time.

;D

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 11:46:32 pm »

For the record, I also have zero problem with trying to create better relations with Russia, North Korea, China or whomever.  I'm generally favor of dialogue, no matter who it might be with, and I'll admit without reservation that being more open to the kind of high-level meetings is an area in which I give Trump credit. I just don't think he's competent enough to take advantage of these opportunities that he's creating, and that's unfortunate.   He also has an unfortunate tendency to reward autocrats and insult egalitarian democracies.  Except Norway - he seems to love Norway.  Go figure?

He must like Norwegian chicks.  :)

Regarding taking advantage of the opportunities he's creating, he's at least creating those opportunities.  Past administrations failed at that. Now let's give him a chance for peace.  He needs time and support.  With the Republican establishment as well as the Democrats opposed to him and wanting to bomb Russia and North Korea, he's doing it all on his own. 

Two23

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 12:03:19 am »

While not particularly a fan of His Golden Greatness, the increasingly hysteria of his opponents is quite something to watch.
Only in some bizarre echo chamber could anyone believe the whole "Russia did it" meme.
Likewise the idea of a Russian threat.
Look at defence spending in 2017 ($US):
U.K. about $55.2 billion
Germany $45.4 billion
United States $685.9 billion ($886 billion budgeted for 2019)
Russian budget for 2018: $42.3 billion, an effective decline.
Come on, show me who should see who as a threat.

Russia is actually quite weak.  I have a niece who lived there as a Christian missionary but has since moved to Ukraine.  She said the alcoholism there is only surpassed by the rate on our Indian reservations.  From first hand experience, I have to say that is something!  Life expectancy there is growing shorter because of it.
"Perhaps the only genuine crisis aspect of current Russian demographic trends appears in increased rates of mortality, which have been especially dramatic among working-age men. In 1992, there was a sharp increase in deaths from nonnatural causes. By 1994, mortality rates for males between ages 15 and 64 were about twice as high as they had been in 1986 (Figure 4). Rising alcoholism and related conditions have figured prominently in this trend."
  There is also a demographic crisis--more Russians are dying than are being born:
https://www.rand.org/pubs/issue_papers/IP162/index2.html

It appears that while Putin is trying to look tough, the reality is the country is imploding.

Kent  in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 12:09:17 am »

Russia is actually quite weak.  I have a niece who lived there as a Christian missionary but has since moved to Ukraine.  She said the alcoholism there is only surpassed by the rate on our Indian reservations.  From first hand experience, I have to say that is something!  Life expectancy there is growing shorter because of it.
"Perhaps the only genuine crisis aspect of current Russian demographic trends appears in increased rates of mortality, which have been especially dramatic among working-age men. In 1992, there was a sharp increase in deaths from nonnatural causes. By 1994, mortality rates for males between ages 15 and 64 were about twice as high as they had been in 1986 (Figure 4). Rising alcoholism and related conditions have figured prominently in this trend."
  There is also a demographic crisis--more Russians are dying than are being born:

It appears that while Putin is trying to look tough, the reality is the country is imploding.

Kent  in SD

That's actually not good for the world.  After all they have the largest stockpile of nukes.  A better more stable Russia would be good for everyone including Russia.  On the other hand, Putin seems pretty sober and calculating.  I don't expect him to push too hard.  I remember his boss before he became boss, Boris Yeltsin.  The guy couldn't draw a sober breathe the whole time he lead Russia. 

Two23

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 12:19:05 am »

I can't wait for a trade agreement with Russia.  I look forward to all those great nesting doll sets at good prices.

I already got mine!  It's a really cool set, too. :)  Prices have gone up since then.

Kent in SD

miserere nobis.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:50 am »

For the record, I also have zero problem with trying to create better relations with Russia, North Korea, China or whomever.  I'm generally favor of dialogue, no matter who it might be with, and I'll admit without reservation that being more open to the kind of high-level meetings is an area in which I give Trump credit. I just don't think he's competent enough to take advantage of these opportunities that he's creating, and that's unfortunate. 
Yes, how it will go is an unknown. I'm hoping that even if negotiations don't progress that far, he will at least disrupt the sort of dualistic thinking we have at present so that a future generation will find it easier.
I haven't forgotten the terror my parents' generation felt during the cold war. That has probably informed my disgust for politicians who beat the war drum for personal gain. Every country has them.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 08:47:50 am »

Some of this is too funny for words. The FBI and CIA and NATO countries are enemies now, and Putin is your friend?

The "Deep State" is attacking the country? How do you know it's not the Masons? Or maybe the Catholics?

There's even some blame-Obama stuff and hate Hilary written above. Change the record, guys. Trump has been in office nearly 2 years now.

The previous administration obtained de-nuking of Iran and Russia, WITH on-site inspections, and Trump threw the Iran deal out for no discernible good reason. Now Trump goes to N. Korea and Russia, babbles nonsense in public, and obtains NOTHING in return, except for a few self-congratulatory tweets.

The impetus for electing Trump, which was partly the throwing under the bus of the American middle class by a generation of politicians who didn't care, was valid enough. (The social conservative and racist side of his popularity are repulsive, but hey, everyone has to buy their votes somewhere, I guess, since that's the system we have now.) Trump was supposed to clean out the swamp, but instead he's distracting everyone with a near phoney Mexican border war and a completely phoney trade war. The USA is going through about 8 years of continuous economic growth, but somehow you have been conned into thinking that the other countries on earth are conspiring to destroy your economy. Get a grip.

--
Robert

mbaginy

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 09:00:01 am »

Trump looked like a beaten dog when he appeared at the press conference with Putin.  I wonder what the Russians have on him.  Maybe time will tell.  The quicker this nightmare is over, the better.

Two23

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 09:07:24 am »

Trump looked like a beaten dog when he appeared at the press conference with Putin.  I wonder what the Russians have on him.  Maybe time will tell.  The quicker this nightmare is over, the better.

For millions of Syrian, Kurdish, Iraqi, and Ukrainian civilians, the nightmare was Obama.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 09:24:42 am »

For millions of Syrian, Kurdish, Iraqi, and Ukrainian civilians, the nightmare was Obama.

Kent in SD
One can say the same thing about other religious/ethnic groups and a number of other presidents.  FDR & European Jews, Eisenhower and Hungary in 1956, LBJ and Nixon in Southeast Asia, Carter and Iran, Reagan in Lebanon, etc.  Placing the blame on Obama for the Kurdish and Iraqis is rather foolish since Bush II got us into Iran without any exit strategy other than "mission accomplished." 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:34 am »

Some of this is too funny for words. The FBI and CIA and NATO countries are enemies now, and Putin is your friend?

The "Deep State" is attacking the country? How do you know it's not the Masons? Or maybe the Catholics?

There's even some blame-Obama stuff and hate Hilary written above. Change the record, guys. Trump has been in office nearly 2 years now.

The previous administration obtained de-nuking of Iran and Russia, WITH on-site inspections, and Trump threw the Iran deal out for no discernible good reason. Now Trump goes to N. Korea and Russia, babbles nonsense in public, and obtains NOTHING in return, except for a few self-congratulatory tweets.

The impetus for electing Trump, which was partly the throwing under the bus of the American middle class by a generation of politicians who didn't care, was valid enough. (The social conservative and racist side of his popularity are repulsive, but hey, everyone has to buy their votes somewhere, I guess, since that's the system we have now.) Trump was supposed to clean out the swamp, but instead he's distracting everyone with a near phoney Mexican border war and a completely phoney trade war. The USA is going through about 8 years of continuous economic growth, but somehow you have been conned into thinking that the other countries on earth are conspiring to destroy your economy. Get a grip.

Whenever a foreigner tells America we're not doing it right, I figure we are.  The phony caring is, well,  phony.  Foreigners just want America to keep spending and protecting them at our expense.  Your Canada is paying 1.23% of your GDP for your military.  As a member of NATO, you should be spending 2%.   When you start spending 2%, then you can tell us we're not doing it right. 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 09:29:28 am »

None of this is new as my friend Murray Feshbach showed in his research of Russian demographic data several decades ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up