Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FUJI Demosaic  (Read 1796 times)

One Frame at a Time

FUJI Demosaic
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:07:06 pm »

Can anyone tell me when the last "big advance" in Fuji Raw Processing occurred?  What version of Lightroom was it?

rdonson

Re: FUJI Demosaic
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:06:59 pm »

The day I chose to use Iridient X-Transformer for demosaicing Fuji X files    ;D .

I only use X-Transformer for files that I really think are keepers or potential keepers.

I use Lr for everything else in processing the files.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:11 am »

Can anyone tell me when the last "big advance" in Fuji Raw Processing occurred?  What version of Lightroom was it?

I've a feeling it was a release in mid-2016, but I can't find the specific version.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:51:37 am »

I tried Irident but still see a lot of the artifacts that didn't used to bother me or were not too prevalent in my images. Recently  I have been shooting where there is lots of sage and when you look at the image up close its just a tangle of indiscriminate tones that have little resemblance to what was being photographed.  I am still using the last non subscription ( pre-ransom) version of LR ver 6.

Wondering what to do because while I knew about this issue, it did not bother me much.  Now it is an issue for me.

Thanks for the Replys

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:07 am »

I am still using the last non subscription ( pre-ransom) version of LR ver 6.

I think the current rev of the subscription version of Lightroom does a fairly decent job with X-Trans raws as long as you don't attempt to sharpen them too aggressively.  Adobe recently changed the default global sharpening Amount from 25 to 40.  I have no idea what the semantics of this are, but my experience is that typically it's best not to exceed that value with Fuji files.  Also, increasing the Detail value from the default 25 to 50 often seems to make edges look crisper.  I sometimes bump up the sharpening levels beyond that on regions of an image with the adjustment brush.  As always, I think you need to take the characteristics of the particular capture into account.  I would be leery of any one-size-fits-all formula.

I also use Iridient X-Transformer for files that contain a lot of fine, especially repetitive, detail.  I find it often does a better job with those types of contrast boundaries.  Like Ron, I confine my use of the Iridient app to demosaicing, then make my subsequent adjustments in LR.

You might want to experiment with the free trial of the subscription version to see if it you think it does sufficiently better with your more challenging files to justify paying the "ransom."

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:25:14 pm »

I didn't get zeroed in on Iridient X-Transformer for Fuji-X files until I ran into Thomas Fitzgerald's work with them.  He has a great e-book on settings to use in X-Transformer to get the most out of it with Lightroom.  He also has a set of Lr presets that allows you to fine tune the results further to your taste and the nature of the photo.

Regards,
Ron

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 10:38:00 am »

Thanks for all the replies.  Much appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up