Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjustments in the RAW converter  (Read 2813 times)

marcmccalmont

Adjustments in the RAW converter
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:38:19 pm »

In theory and in practice which results in better images;
1. minimal processing in your RAW converter and most adjustments later in your editor
or
2. As many adjustments as possible in the RAW converter and minimal adjustments later in your editor?
Assuming 12 bit RAW capture and 16 bit Tiff processing.

Are some adjustments better suited to the converter and others to the editor?
Specifically I use DXO optics as a RAW converter and process with minimal adjustments (white balance as shot, exposure as shot etc, assuming a reasonable histogram) then in PSCS2 adjust levels, curves etc. If however I don't like the result I return to DXO and reprocess to correct what was wrong. I get a nagging feeling I might be better off spending more time in the converter to get things right up front. Is adjusting a 16 bit Tiff less optimum than working on a DNG?

Thanks
Marc
[attachment=1039:attachment]
Marc McCalmont

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 12:33:41 am »

We don't use the same converter, but the first general rule would be that if what you're doing affects the highlights substantially, you want to do it in the RAW converter. That's where the converter is working with more data.  WB & exposure for sure.  Shadow detail can be controlled much better in Photoshop, so set a low or conservative black point with the converter.   I'd make only a basic/minimal contrast correction, leaving room for more exact contrast tweaking in PS.  

The second general rule would be to work in PS instead of the RAW converter on stuff that you aren't sure about, & want to be able to fine-tune - perhaps repeatedly - with an Adjustment Layer.  Curves affecting shadows, & all color adjustments other than basic white balance, are better handled with Adjustment Layers.  I've found it especially messy to boost saturation very much in RAW conversion - it's  better to have access to the individual color sliders on a HS Adj Layer.

Re: what you mentioned about WB:  Rather than go with As Shot for WB, I always take a look at Auto.  My camera (5D) usually makes a pretty good guess about where to start from.  And I also always try to correct for a neutral gray highlight with the eyedropper.  Then tweak whichever looks best.  

Kirk

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:04 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. Now that you mention it, it makes sence to preserve as much information in the highlights in the RAW conversion. I think I'm doing OK on the color, "as shot" in DXO means as the camera guessed not no color correction. I color calibrated the 5d when I purchased it to at least get it accurate for mid-day sun (standard; 4, 0, 2, -1 was the best I could do). I'll taylor my workflow as per your recommendations.
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:29:18 pm »

I do as much as possible in the RAW converter (I use ACR). Color calibrating your RAW converter to your camera will save you a huge amount of time color correcting later; all you'll normally need to do is set the white balance properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up