Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit - shifting sands ?  (Read 19347 times)

Manoli

Re: Brexit - shifting sands ?
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2018, 10:39:13 am »

That is the worst scenario this side of no deal at all.

Anna Soubry in The Commons forcefully making the point ..
https://youtu.be/CN1WrjlWLXQ

" 'Nobody voted to be poorer. Nobody voted leave on the basis that somebody with a gold-plated pension and inherited wealth would take their job away from them.'
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:47:53 am by Manoli »

Manoli

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:24 am »

Amusingly, or perhaps less so depending on one's political inclination, here's a clip of Jacob Rees-Mogg on the Andrew Mrr show last December. ( starts at 2:33)

… the pooresr areas of the country voted to leave. We need to deliver the benefits of leaving to the poorest in our Nation because otherwise they will feel deeply let down and that includes getting free trade deals so we can lower the cost of food, clothing and footwear ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib9N6kIdFA0

Hopefully, someone in Parliament could ask him to explain how Britain benefits from being outside the largest free-trading block in the world and particularly how this benefits the 'poorest in our Nation'
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:38:29 am by Manoli »

Rob C

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2018, 12:21:56 pm »

AFAIK Studebaker never used an Italian design.  The car you may be thinking of is the Avanti and it was designed by the French American, Raymond Loewy.  He did some other work for Studebaker and lots of other companies.

Yes, that's the car! You are also right about the designer.

But hey, one out of two on a hot day... a really attractive car but, apparently, it ended up being too expensive.

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2018, 12:44:00 pm »

... a really attractive car but, apparently, it ended up being too expensive.

Like women ;)

Rob C

« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2018, 05:22:03 pm »

Like women ;)

Some, but not all: some could be but choose not to be; others never were.

Funny how cars and women seem to be associated with similar descriptive words: body curves; clutch; manual or automatic; self-starters; convertibles; comfortable or hard suspension; headlights; horn warning system; tail and bumpers; front and rear overhang... this is getting silly.

:-)

Manoli

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2018, 04:11:06 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2018, 09:35:29 am »

As any divorced man would tell you, divorce comes with steep economic losses, but, man, what a relief! :D

Rob C

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2018, 10:14:08 am »

As any divorced man would tell you, divorce comes with steep economic losses, but, man, what a relief! :D

Now that's rationalisation!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2018, 10:16:42 am »

Not true in the case of my first marriage.  We had a no-fault divorce and there were no economic losses on either side. :)  I've been luckier the second time around as my wife and I have been married for 38 years with great economic benefit.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2018, 10:18:48 am »

I have been divorced twice. Painful, expensive and totally worth it. Relief totally understates it.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2018, 10:28:33 am »

I have been divorced twice. Painful, expensive and totally worth it. Relief totally understates it.

You must learn to listen to your head, not to below the Plimsoll line. There are pills...

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2018, 10:37:55 am »

You must learn to listen to your head, not to below the Plimsoll line. There are pills...

That’s a great theory. I’m in my 5th long term relationship at the moment. Let’s see.

I hope the Brexit thing was the right decision. Doesn’t appear to be so from here. For the UK that is. For us I don’t know. I think big strong trading blocks are not good for us small countries. When elephants fight the grass gets trampled.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:48 pm »

So Brittanica is male and the EU female... :)

Me Too
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2018, 06:25:14 pm »

That’s a great theory. I’m in my 5th long term relationship at the moment. Let’s see.

I hope the Brexit thing was the right decision. Doesn’t appear to be so from here. For the UK that is. For us I don’t know. I think big strong trading blocks are not good for us small countries. When elephants fight the grass gets trampled.

Being the little guy is never a good idea, unless you have no choice, and then you can't blame anyone and become a comedian in order to save your skin. But, when you go out of your way to cut yourself down to size... time for the men in white coats.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2018, 11:51:53 pm »

Trump's going to put major tariffs on $500 billion of China's exports to America.  I guess he's sending a signal to Junker before he arrives for negotiations here.  The EU is next unless we make a deal.  What do you think German automakers are telling Junker today?   
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/19/trump-says-hes-ready-to-put-tariffs-on-all-505-billion-of-chinese-.html

So it looks like the German car manufacturers did get to Merkel.  The EU trade negotiator came to America and met with our officials.  The EU appears to be acquiescing to Trump's demands that we equalize or eliminate tariffs.  This is another big win for Trump.  He's moving ahead doing good things for America and the world while his enemies the democrats and liberal press spend all their time attacking him. 

"Trump said: “This is why we agreed today, first of all, to work together toward zero tariffs, zero non-tariff barriers, and zero subsidies on non-auto industrial goods.”[/size]

Juncker was more restrained in his remarks, saying: “We have identified a number of areas on which to work together. Work towards zero tariffs on industrial goods. And that was my main intention, to propose to come down to zero tariffs on industrial goods.”"

This is the first break in the tariff pressure.  Both sides will now work out their differences and come to a deal.  Afterwards, it is hoped that the EU will join America in putting pressure on China who is a really big trade problem for both the EU and America including the theft of intellectual property. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2018, 01:52:52 am »

So it looks like the German car manufacturers did get to Merkel.  The EU trade negotiator came to America and met with our officials.  The EU appears to be acquiescing to Trump's demands that we equalize or eliminate tariffs.  This is another big win for Trump.  He's moving ahead doing good things for America and the world while his enemies the democrats and liberal press spend all their time attacking him. 

That's great news! The threat of 20% would mean that the price of my next Mercedes S650 cabriolet would increase from $323,000 to almost $390,000.
However, if Donny succeeds in completely eliminating the current car tariffs (is it 2.5%?), I could now save $8000. Just enough to buy with the savings a nice new Leica.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2018, 02:30:18 am »

That's great news! The threat of 20% would mean that the price of my next Mercedes S650 cabriolet would increase from $323,000 to almost $390,000.
However, if Donny succeeds in completely eliminating the current car tariffs (is it 2.5%?), I could now save $8000. Just enough to buy with the savings a nice new Leica.
Les:  Why would Trump's tariffs in America on German cars effect your purchase in Canada.  By the way, can I use your car one weekend when you get it?  Your Leica too?  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2018, 05:16:32 am »

Les:  Why would Trump's tariffs in America on German cars effect your purchase in Canada.  By the way, can I use your car one weekend when you get it?  Your Leica too?  :)

Alan, it could affect me, and more than in one way. Actually, I don't know if we pay any tariffs in Canada, but typically the car prices are higher here than in US, even for Mercedes Sprinter vans. Whether that is due also to some taxes or greedier car dealers, I don't know. But as I mentioned in some previous post, when those 20% tariff rumors started, they had a profound effect on the Canadian automobile industry. For example, Magna and Linamar, the Canadian automobile part manufacturers lost 15%, resp. 30% in their value in the last two months. Once Donald waves his magic wand, those stocks would hopefully bounce back to their pre-tariff talks, and since I hold a smallish position in Linamar, I might be able to buy from my profits that Mercedes cabriolet for my winter vacations in Florida. Such a car should be cheaper there than in Canada, so if I buy it while down there, I could save money twice. If things go according to my plan, of course, you could join me on a drive from or to Florida. We should get a CB radio and a really good radar detector.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2018, 06:34:26 am »

(Is this topic still about the Brexit?)

Then i would like to add that the point of Google getting fined and Juncker making deals with the US is a way England cannot do alone.
England will brexit from the EU, but as a result will be more dependent on others,  formost the US. The idea of doing things just like the UK wants it is not very realistic.

about Trump...
It would be wise to focus on what Trump really accomplishes and not what he tweets/ screams... for that is his main strenght
Look at the facts ( not the alternative ones)
The statements of Juncker vs Trump are an example; I give credit to Junckers summary.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Manoli

« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2018, 07:06:36 am »

(Is this topic still about the Brexit?)

Yes, very much so - just sometimes with the occasional off-topic detour.

And though it's more than likely that the UK will Brexit next year, it's not 100% guaranteed, primarily because the current parliamentary impasse could give way to a variety of unexpected turns. The Irish , for one (there are others) have indicated that they would agree to extend Article 50 talks - though this would require the UK to ask for an extension and all 27 EU member states to agree to one. 

Earlier this month, MPs on the HoC Brexit select committee said the Article 50 should be extended so that parliament should have more time to examine any final deal - all based on the assumption that May will secure a deal (anything but a foregone conclusion). Apart from the ultra right-wing , it's generally considered preferable that the UK exit with a deal rather than the so called hard Brexit - and no, I doubt that many are convinced on the merits of leaving the world's largest free-trading block just to jump into the arms of the Donald.

More akin to jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:33:20 am by Manoli »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up