Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Struggling with a lot of halo in my photos  (Read 1932 times)

mekhajeh

Struggling with a lot of halo in my photos
« on: July 15, 2018, 06:55:59 am »

Hello everybody,
I have struggled with a lot of halo in my photos.

I have read in many posts that halo effect happens because of heavy sharpening. But in this image, and also some other images with the same problem I have, I did not do any sharpening or post-processing. I opened the raw file in ACR, set the sharpening and noise reduction in details panel all to zero, and this is the result. I have no idea why this happened and how should I overcome the situation.

Fujifilm X-T10, with 18-55mm on 55mm, f22, 15sec, ISO 200

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:11:34 am by mekhajeh »

degrub

Re: Struggling with a lot of halo in my photos
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:41:02 am »

Looks like the highlights in the leaves are blown out, overexposed.
Was that on purpose ?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:45:52 am »

Looks to me like your highlights may be overexposed a bit; you could spot meter them given the high contrast of the scene. You are also at f/22; diffusion perhaps. Does this happen at f/8 for example? Long exposure; tripod, correct? No wind? Just a few thoughts. Experiment on a similar high contrast scene and look for what makes a difference. Sharpening halos are a different thing. Oh, can I tell you about those! Welcome to LuLa land, too.

mekhajeh

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:51:53 am »

Actually the reason for over-expose was the fact that I relied on my camera's histogram. I tried to move the histogram to the right with attention to not clipping the highlights. It looked good on the camera's histogram, but in photoshop's histogram it is slightly blown out!

mekhajeh

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:59:19 am »

Looks to me like your highlights may be overexposed a bit; you could spot meter them given the high contrast of the scene. You are also at f/22; diffusion perhaps. Does this happen at f/8 for example? Long exposure; tripod, correct? No wind? Just a few thoughts. Experiment on a similar high contrast scene and look for what makes a difference. Sharpening halos are a different thing. Oh, can I tell you about those! Welcome to LuLa land, too.

Thanks David! Probably it is the consequence of over-expose in long exposure + wind!

degrub

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:39 am »

You maybe able to compensate for the jpg based camera histogram by bracketing the exposure with 1/3 or 1/2 stop bracketing, 3 or 5 images, until you learn how much to shift the exposure.

Two23

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 10:25:05 am »

Actually the reason for over-expose was the fact that I relied on my camera's histogram. I tried to move the histogram to the right with attention to not clipping the highlights. It looked good on the camera's histogram, but in photoshop's histogram it is slightly blown out!

Remember that the histogram is just for the in-camera, jpg, not a raw file.  It's not as accurate as many people think.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:32:38 am »

It is either lens or sensor highlight blooming, or both.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:05 am »

15 sec is a long time for leaves to stay steady unless there is absolutely no wind, although I suspect the dead leaves are steadier than the live ones.  Secondly, looking at the RGB composite histogram might be misleading if only one of the channels is blown out, most likely the Red in this case.  If you are not able to accommodate the full range, perhaps you can do exposure blending. 

Also, you can try dialing down the f stop some - depth of field need in the scene does not seem to warrant an f/22.  That will cut down the diffraction/flare as well as the effect of wind (faster shutter speed.) 

Interesting idea for a picture, though.

Good luck!

:Niranjan.

mekhajeh

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 12:13:31 pm »

Thank you very much guys! Good points :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up