Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD:Widescreen or not?  (Read 6689 times)

RedRebel

LCD:Widescreen or not?
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:07:03 pm »

Currently I am using a five year old IIyama 17 inch display, which is actualy only 15.75 inch effectivly  

I consider to buy a new LCD in the 19-20 inch 4:3 leage or 21-24 inch 16:10 leage. But having a closer look at these wide screens I start to realize that a 21 wide screen is just 1,5 inch higher then my current 17 inch 4:3 display. Furthermore the amount of widescreen quality panels is still limitted. The new Eizo's S2110, S2410 and CE210 and Ce240 seem very good (especially the 21 one Prad: Eizo S2110).

I wonder how others feel about wide screen display (does it make sense) and if there are any suggestions for a +/- $1000 budget.

Thanks

David White

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 10:27:37 pm »

I wonder how others feel about wide screen display (does it make sense) and if there are any suggestions for a +/- $1000 budget.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When it came to for a new monitor I was very interested in getting a wide aspect screen but on investigation I found that most of them exhibited luminance and color accuracy problems across the width of the screen and I certainly wasn't interested in playing the exchange game until I found one that worked properly.

I settled, for now, on a NEC LCD2190Uxi which is almost perfect, considering it is an LCD, and I also use a generic 17" monitor as a second display for palettes and other such things where color accuracy is unimportant.
David White

RedRebel

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 03:52:52 pm »

Hmm, at first I was very enthousiast about the newer 21 and 24 inch Eizo screens, but I get the same doubts as you have. I would tend to buy a 24Inch one, to get some more hight (21"wide screen is as high as a 19" normal screen), but especially these wider panels seem to have some luminance problems.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:00:32 pm »

I wish I could own a CE240W.

The CE240W has the look of a nice monitor on paper, but there is a specific issue that I think will either make or break it for you.  Although the specs show it as having a wide viewing angle,  it is a bit of a fudge.  From straight on and not too close the monitor works great.  If you move to one side or another the shadow detail will open up significantly.  This is a problem if you ever have your client around the monitor or are commonly showing images to others.  When you evaluate the images in the center of the screen they will look great.  Then as you step sideways so that your client can look too, the shadows will show much more detail and openness than before.  The is not a defect.  It is the nature of the backlight Eizo chose to use in this model.  I was the proud owner of one for about 48 hours before returning it.  I have discussed this with Eizo, and they have confirmed what I saw.

There were some early production CE240W's that were actually lighter on one side than the other.  That problem has been fixed (just a little quality control).  This in not the same as what I describe above.  I only bring it up so that when you search elsewhere that the two issues will not obfuscate each other.

I think the 2190 is the best option in your price range.  I have also been happy working with the apple 23" monitor (although I have seen way too many with the magenta casts).  Larger monitors DO increase productivity.

-Eric

RedRebel

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 08:22:41 am »

Thank you Eric for your helpfull comment. I thought both luminance issues were the same, especially the problem you mention on the left side of the screen.

I don't think that the view angle problem you name, would be a problem for me. I always sit in the middle front of the monitor, currently only 50cm away, because my current crt screen is so deep, using a LCD panel the viewing distance would be about 80 cm (32"). However the CE240 is pricy and NEC will launch widescreens to, which are of simillar quality like the 2190UXi, at least thats the rumour. Over here the Eizo CE240 and NEC2190UXi have the same pricetag (+/- E1400,- ~$1750)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 08:58:27 am by RedRebel »

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 04:09:50 pm »

It's official, you will save time and money by buying the 30" cinema display...

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/10/16/could-...our-job-faster/

greater produtivity means faster post production, more time to shoot, more time for family.  It also means the 30" display is less expensive than the smaller ones if you consider your time worth anything.

-Enjoy

trigeek

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 08:48:52 am »

I wish I could own a CE240W.

The CE240W has the look of a nice monitor on paper, but there is a specific issue that I think will either make or break it for you.  Although the specs show it as having a wide viewing angle,  it is a bit of a fudge.  From straight on and not too close the monitor works great.  If you move to one side or another the shadow detail will open up significantly.  This is a problem if you ever have your client around the monitor or are commonly showing images to others.  When you evaluate the images in the center of the screen they will look great.  Then as you step sideways so that your client can look too, the shadows will show much more detail and openness than before.  The is not a defect.  It is the nature of the backlight Eizo chose to use in this model.  I was the proud owner of one for about 48 hours before returning it.  I have discussed this with Eizo, and they have confirmed what I saw.

There were some early production CE240W's that were actually lighter on one side than the other.  That problem has been fixed (just a little quality control).  This in not the same as what I describe above.  I only bring it up so that when you search elsewhere that the two issues will not obfuscate each other.

I think the 2190 is the best option in your price range.  I have also been happy working with the apple 23" monitor (although I have seen way too many with the magenta casts).  Larger monitors DO increase productivity.

-Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,
How sensitive is the viewing angle issue that you talked about? I have a monitor in which if you move your head a few inches left or right the shadows change, which is anoying when you are trying to get B&W right.  Given a normal working distance for photo work, is this the shadow shifting in the inches category, or feet category?
Thanks!
Jim

RedRebel

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 10:53:52 am »

It depends,

about 1/2 ~ 2/3 of the screen around the middle is relative unsensitive for head movements. This is about the size of a 21"wide screen monitor (CE210/S2110). The outer left and right area are more prone for viewing angle distances, assuming your head is in the middle.

I personaly don't consider it a problem, because you don't have this problem if scale down the image a litle.

If you are at the point of buying one, you should realize that NEC will introduce their 2690WUXi in Januari. The release of this monitor has been delayed for months, but know it's also announced on their european websites. The NEC has an IPS panel instead of S-PVA, these panels (IPS) are much less prone for viewing angle changes.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 03:56:54 pm »

Something just occured to me at work the other day.

Background - my company leases all Dell PC equipment and every 2 years we get a "refresh".

I had a 19" 4:3 standard aspect ratio LCD. It was replaced with a 24" "wide aspect ratio LCD (an equivelent investment nowadays). Both of these screens are about the same height, the new one is wider.

Now back to my thought...

The wider screen is every bit as good as the 4:3 for anything I do at work. An added benefit is that I reasonable run things side by side. Based on that, I can see this being a perfect solution for Photoshop where you don't want to go with 2 monitors.

The only problem is getting a quality device with even lighting and good calibration prospects.

The next desptop monitor I get for my personal workspace will be wide.

On the other hand, I have a wide aspect notebook. This actually reduces the available screen height (although not the resolution). Vertically, there isn't much room. I favor 4:3 screen for notebooks, but they are starting to be a thing of the past (mostly).
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 04:07:05 pm »

Anyone bought the new 30" dell wide screen yet?  Down to $1200 or so.  The local compusa has a mac with a dual monitor setup using 30" and a 24" cinema displays.  Very cool.  I'd hate to have to lift the heat sink of the video card that could drive that.

trigeek

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 05:45:49 pm »

It depends,

about 1/2 ~ 2/3 of the screen around the middle is relative unsensitive for head movements. This is about the size of a 21"wide screen monitor (CE210/S2110). The outer left and right area are more prone for viewing angle distances, assuming your head is in the middle.

I personaly don't consider it a problem, because you don't have this problem if scale down the image a litle.

If you are at the point of buying one, you should realize that NEC will introduce their 2690WUXi in Januari. The release of this monitor has been delayed for months, but know it's also announced on their european websites. The NEC has an IPS panel instead of S-PVA, these panels (IPS) are much less prone for viewing angle changes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anyone have an idea what the NEC 2690UXi will cost? I am in the market for a good quality monitor and am debating between the NEC 2190, Eizo CE240 and the Apple 23". All are $1,500 or less. About the limit of my budget. I would guess the 2690 will be > $2K. Thanks.

trigeek

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 05:51:55 pm »

Anyone have an idea what the NEC 2690UXi will cost? I am in the market for a good quality monitor and am debating between the NEC 2190, Eizo CE240 and the Apple 23". All are $1,500 or less. About the limit of my budget. I would guess the 2690 will be > $2K. Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On a seperate but related item... Does anyone on this forum know of a good place to audition a monitor in the New York City area. Places like Comp USA, Circuit City, etc carry the low to medium end monitors, but I have yet to find a stockist who carries higher end monitors,
Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 05:52:27 pm by trigeek »
Pages: [1]   Go Up