Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrades to my PC  (Read 1974 times)

Andres Bonilla

Upgrades to my PC
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:31:25 pm »

Hello, my Windows 7 computer needs an upgrade, I only had 8 Gigs left on my C: Drive out of my 128 Gigs SSD Drive, it finally crashed this weekend. So I have a 500 SSD drive installed and Windows 10 about to be installed. My CPU is 4770 k, a motherboard with 32 Gigs of RAM. I use my computer for Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects mainly. I don't think I need a new CPU/Motherboard Combo yet, I am not really sure how much improvement will I get if I upgrade to a middle of the road CPU. Probably one of the super expensive ones would give me a substantial performance boost. I do need a new Video card because mine was rated poorly on an Internet test. I read that Nvidia 1060 even though is not listed on the Adobe Website is considered good. My motherboard  would only take 32 Gigs of RAM, there is a discussion about Adobe only using so much RAM with the rest being unused. Any ideas? I would not like to spend more than $ 700 or $ 800 dollars in the upgrade. Will the computer choke with the new video card and 4K editing?

Andres Bonilla

Re: Upgrades to my PC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:35:07 pm »

I forgot to mention that I am finally switching from CS6 to the Cloud.

Shiftworker

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:33:42 am »

For 4k video editing you will struggle with just upgrading the GPU and that budget. If you have no other options then get a 1060 (or better still a 1070) , convert your old 128gb SSD to a scratch drive. You major bottle neck will be the CPU though. What kind of drive are your media files on?if it's a single spinning HD this will also slow you down so depending on how big your media library is you may want to think about putting it on an SSD or Multiple spinning disks in a RAID 0 configuration.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:04 am »

One option for 4k editing when you don't have enough resources is to use proxies in PremierePro and/or After Effects. You will spend some time generating the proxies, but the editing will be a lot smoother

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:29:08 pm »

For 4k video editing you will struggle with just upgrading the GPU and that budget. If you have no other options then get a 1060 (or better still a 1070) , convert your old 128gb SSD to a scratch drive. You major bottle neck will be the CPU though. What kind of drive are your media files on?if it's a single spinning HD this will also slow you down so depending on how big your media library is you may want to think about putting it on an SSD or Multiple spinning disks in a RAID 0 configuration.

Thanks! What CPU would you recommend for 4k editing? I know I would need a new motherboard.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:29:54 pm »

One option for 4k editing when you don't have enough resources is to use proxies in PremierePro and/or After Effects. You will spend some time generating the proxies, but the editing will be a lot smoother

Thanks! At work we still broadcast in HD but the future is 4K

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:53 pm »

Thanks! At work we still broadcast in HD but the future is 4K

I'm not sure I understand your comment. With proxies, you perform the edits with lower resolution placeholders and when you are done you will replace them with the full resolution clips and perform the final rendering, so in case you start with 4K clips you will end with a 4K video.

Another option is to render every clip after some edits, especially if the bar above the timeline in Premiere Pro turns red.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:57 pm »

So the CPU is a bit long in the tooth - originally came out in 2013.  There's a single 'new' motherboard on Newegg that'll take the CPU, all the others are for crypto mining (and thus made for lots of x1 PCIe slots).  With that, you're either sticking with your MB/CPU combo or doing a wholesale upgrade MB/CPU/RAM which could be done in your budget.  You didn't say what video card you have, just that it tests poorly. 

You could do 4x8gb RAM taking you to 32gb for $300, and a mid-tier video card with your budget.  You could also do a MB/CPU/RAM (16gb) combo in the $500 and up range, and add a video card there.

It comes down to if you want to put money into your existing setup and run with it for the time being, or buy in on a faster setup.
t: @PNWMF

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 01:45:31 pm »

I'm not sure I understand your comment. With proxies, you perform the edits with lower resolution placeholders and when you are done you will replace them with the full resolution clips and perform the final rendering, so in case you start with 4K clips you will end with a 4K video.

Another option is to render every clip after some edits, especially if the bar above the timeline in Premiere Pro turns red.
Great information thanks. What I said was that at the television station I work for , we still broadcast in High Defintion, not 4k, but the new cameras are shooting 4k.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 02:06:57 pm »

So the CPU is a bit long in the tooth - originally came out in 2013.  There's a single 'new' motherboard on Newegg that'll take the CPU, all the others are for crypto mining (and thus made for lots of x1 PCIe slots).  With that, you're either sticking with your MB/CPU combo or doing a wholesale upgrade MB/CPU/RAM which could be done in your budget.  You didn't say what video card you have, just that it tests poorly. 

You could do 4x8gb RAM taking you to 32gb for $300, and a mid-tier video card with your budget.  You could also do a MB/CPU/RAM (16gb) combo in the $500 and up range, and add a video card there.

It comes down to if you want to put money into your existing setup and run with it for the time being, or buy in on a faster setup.
Thank you. I just ordered a NVidia 1060 with 6 GIGs , the older one only had 1 GIG. The new CPU I have seen that are not in the thousands is the 7820 3.6 GHz and the Ryzen 1800x 8 core. It is hard to find sometimes info that is not geared towards gaming. Thanks

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 05:52:49 am »

That is a 7th gen i7.  I think an 8th gen would be better (and cheaper).  The only CPU's in the $k's are the i9's.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 01:10:36 pm »

You might want to consider an AMD Ryzen 1800 or 1800x. Great price for performance, though not as burly as some of the Intel, but holds its own. I’ve used AMD for my builds the past 10 years. My latest is the Ryzen 1800x and it does a decent job.

In the end, the easiest thing might be to spec a mid-level PC from someone like CyberPower PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up