Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wanderer, which version?  (Read 2942 times)

Andres Bonilla

The Wanderer, which version?
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:18:57 am »

Late at night a lonely soul stills wanders. Roma.

I got a new Dell monitor that does not display the blacks lime my NEC use to do. It sees through the blacks, I have a tough time assessing the contrast. When I see it looks fine in my monitor , it usually has more contrast in my work computers. Daylight shots are OK but in this case the moody ambiance I was looking for, turn out too dark on a friends monitor. I did two versions, do you guys see any difference, can you see the piece or it is still too dark. First one is the original one. Thanks!!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: The Wanderer, which version?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 03:29:03 am »

Very brave I think and it well seen. Definately an interesting direction. I’m not convinced by the composition but that could just be me. On my iPad I prefer the lighter image. I think the less solid blacks are more mysterious than the darker images where the blacks are so heavy they take on the nature of an object rather than a veil if that makes any sense. I have calibrated my iPad so I think it’s quite accurate.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:36:41 am »

In case I wasn’t clear I really like the image.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 06:59:00 am »

When assessing, I use the histogram as a guide as it will be the same regardless of individual monitor brightness/contrast. The histograms below show the colour and luminosity of the first image, and then the same for the second image. Both still look very dark on my monitor, as the histograms indicate, although I can still see shadow detail. How others will see the images depends on monitor setting and viewing conditions.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 08:02:43 am »

Fascinating approach. The second gives a tiny bit more detail, which helps.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 09:22:12 am »

Andres, you should be a painter. Maybe you are already...

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:35:04 am »

For me the second one works and is powerful.
In the first, I can't make out enough to get any sense of what the image is.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:28:17 am »

The first. Caravaggio.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:42:18 am »

I must say, +1 to what Rob C said. I prefer the second, but my screen is uncalibrated so your mileage will vary. I also agree wholeheartedly with Martin on the brave part. Very well done Andres!!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

GreggP

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:02:49 pm »

I like the 1st image more.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 01:35:58 pm »

On my really dark "for print" screen the 1st really is very dark, I can hardly see what is there. The 2nd is pretty brownish in the background, don't know whether this is what was wanted.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:01 pm »

Very brave I think and it well seen. Definately an interesting direction. I’m not convinced by the composition but that could just be me. On my iPad I prefer the lighter image. I think the less solid blacks are more mysterious than the darker images where the blacks are so heavy they take on the nature of an object rather than a veil if that makes any sense. I have calibrated my iPad so I think it’s quite accurate.

Thank you!I think the lighter image reveals the image a bit more without losing the atmosphere I was trying to convey. How would you change the composition?

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:06:10 pm »

When assessing, I use the histogram as a guide as it will be the same regardless of individual monitor brightness/contrast. The histograms below show the colour and luminosity of the first image, and then the same for the second image. Both still look very dark on my monitor, as the histograms indicate, although I can still see shadow detail. How others will see the images depends on monitor setting and viewing conditions.

Thank you! Judging by the histograms are the shadows in the second version usable? I think the idea of using histograms is great specially with the variety of monitors out there. I wanted to insinuate the surroundings but you say they are very dark on your monitor, can you still see the background in the second version? 

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:07:15 pm »

Fascinating approach. The second gives a tiny bit more detail, which helps.

Thanks! Do you think the tiny more detail is enough?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 03:26:47 pm »

I'm working with a calibrated monitor; actually with two calibrated monitors. I really need to look at the pictures in a darker environment than the one I usually work in, but the second picture seems to have enough detail. Slobodan's right. It's a Caravaggio, though Caravaggio's highlights were brighter. You might want to try bending the curve a bit to bring up the highlights without raising the lows. In any case, it's fine work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

James Clark

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 04:02:49 pm »

I see less Caravaggio and more Rembrandt in the way the figure melts out of the darkness, but in either case, it's an utterly fascinating imaging job.  Bravo.

Edit - I want to like the first one better, but there's just not quite enough detail in the shadows for me.  Almost though.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 05:04:03 pm »

On my iPad earlier, it was the first. On my desktop (calibrated for printing), it is the second. iPad screens are great for web viewing though, so depending on the destination, you might want to use both versions.

On my iPad, the second version looks like a pea soup (the background), murky and featureless, forcing the eye to wander around looking for something, anything of value to see, thus distracting from the main point of interest.

James Clark

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:50 pm »

On my iPad earlier, it was the first. On my desktop (calibrated for printing), it is the second. iPad screens are great for web viewing though, so depending on the destination, you might want to use both versions.

On my iPad, the second version looks like a pea soup (the background), murky and featureless, forcing the eye to wander around looking for something, anything of value to see, thus distracting from the main point of interest.

On my uncalibrated laptop, I see the same as your iPad, and on my calibrated desktop the second works better for me as well.   This is one of the more display-dependent images I think I've come across, and I bet it would give a printer fits. :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »

On of my more surprising discoveries, while visiting world museums, was just how dark renaissance masters kept their shadows.

James Clark

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 05:46:50 pm »

On of my more surprising discoveries, while visiting world museums, was just how dark renaissance masters kept their shadows.

Yes, and it's an aesthetic I've always loved.  It's too bad printers are so very, very bad at rendering rich shadow detail from digital negatives (or too bad that I'm really, really bad at file prep for those images, may be more likely).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up