Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Decision To Make: Hassy H5D-40 or Pentax 645D  (Read 3108 times)

rollsman44

Decision To Make: Hassy H5D-40 or Pentax 645D
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:49:30 pm »

I have these 2 systems and I just need to keep one System.  I Shoot Portraits and Candids and Group shots. I am Retired and shoot Very little and  so it will be for my personal use Mainly.  I have the Hassy 80/ 2.8    and the Pentax 6456D 120 Macro and the 55 D-FA 2.8  Just looking for other photographers feedback on this.  Thanks 

Dahlmann

Re: Decision To Make: Hassy H5D-40 or Pentax 645D
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:57:32 pm »

Only you can answer that question! It is you that will use it.
Go for the system you like the most

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:33:33 am »

You should be telling us :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

rollsman44

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:54:03 am »

I like Both Systems.  I am leaning towards selling Both systems and Purchase a Fuji GFX 50.  Thank you for your responses

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:02:54 pm »

On a similar note, I would sell both and get the X1D and have possibly change for a lens of your choice. It is still a Hasselblad so you can use the same workflow and same lenses as the H5D with a new light camera. That is what I am in the process of doing.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:06:34 pm »

Why did you buy the same sensor in 2 different bodies in the first place?

Cheers,
Bernard

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:41:50 am »

Actually I just saw a "Kipon Adapter for Pentax 645 Mount Lens to Hasselblad X1D Camera"
I don't know how well it works but conceivably you could use all of your current lenses with the X1D.
If the HC80 is a late model it may AF.

pschefz

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10:43 pm »

I like Both Systems.  I am leaning towards selling Both systems and Purchase a Fuji GFX 50.  Thank you for your responses

that would be a smart choice....and yes you can get lots of adapters to shoot lots of glass on the GFX but do yourself a favor and sell the glass as well and get the fuji glass with it...
btw: GFX body price to drop 650$ very soon (according to fujirumors.com)
it really is a no brainer.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

rollsman44

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:44:16 pm »

I was thinking the same.  Wait for the Fuji to drop in price  Thanks

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:54:43 pm »

why not just put both kits up for sale and see which one sells first?

I also looked with quite a bit of interest at the Fuji - until I came across this :

"Just like the Hasselblad X1D-50c, the Fuji GFX 50S has a relatively simple contrast-detect only autofocus system. This means that if one were to compare the GFX 50S with any modern mirrorless camera with a smaller sensor (say with something like the Fuji X-T2), it is noticeably slow and lenses tend to hunt when there is not enough contrast – all normal behavior for contrast-detect AF systems."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:06:17 pm by lowep »

eronald

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 11:19:18 pm »

The next sensor iteration for all these cameras will hugely improve AF.

Edmund

I also looked with quite a bit of interest at the Fuji - until I came across this :

"Just like the Hasselblad X1D-50c, the Fuji GFX 50S has a relatively simple contrast-detect only autofocus system. This means that if one were to compare the GFX 50S with any modern mirrorless camera with a smaller sensor (say with something like the Fuji X-T2), it is noticeably slow and lenses tend to hunt when there is not enough contrast – all normal behavior for contrast-detect AF systems."
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

pschefz

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:59:13 am »

this is definitely true, AF performance is not on DSLR or mirrorless level but there is a lot of grey area here.....in my own testing the fuji AF is slightly faster then X1D....but even that has to be taken with a grain of salt....for some reason the fuji zoom is the fastest lens to focus, i can only compare to the 45 and 120, both of which are slightly slower....
to me the GFX with the zoom is perfectly fine in terms of AF, the X1D is too slow overall (only tested with 45 and 90) and the fuji 45 and 120 are ok but i wish it was faster.....
i am assuming the new sensors will take care of this issue....

on a side note: the A7RII switches to contrast detect at f8 and up and is at that point a lot slower and misses a lot....the GFX is much better in this situations.....i dont know if sony has fixed this with firmware or if the A7RIII has the same issue....
schefz.com
artloch.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 03:55:27 am »

If you are buying any of these camera for AF performance then you should just stop there and buy a Canon or Nikon.
You buy these cameras for other reasons.
All of my work in landscape and product is done with manual focus (most of the lenses don't even have AF). Much of the studio people shots were manual focus too.
Until they have cameras plugged direct to my brain I prefer to make most of the decisions.

I have a T shirt that says "Auto Focus is for Sissies"

eronald

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:12:28 am »

If you are buying any of these camera for AF performance then you should just stop there and buy a Canon or Nikon.
All of my work in landscape and product is done with manual focus (most of the lenses don't even have AF). Much of the studio people shots were manual focus too.
Until they have cameras plugged direct to my brain I prefer to make most of the decisions.

MF lenses can be focused more precisely near to infinity due to their manual throw.
Electric-focus lenses can be terrible.

Edmund

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:52 am »

That T-shirt should be edited to read "Auto focus is for over 60s"

:-)

lowep

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 09:23:11 am »

Or "manual focus is for landscape and product" whereas people tend to move and lighting in the field isn't always bright enough to be able to manual focus accurately enough to be sure to nail every shot.

I also used to prefer cars with manual gearboxes because I thought they performed better until I found out they didn't. But maybe when I get to 60 my priorities will change and I will slow down and start thinking more about gardening, vintage cars and t-shirt design.

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 09:24:41 am »

That T-shirt should be edited to read "Auto focus is for over 60s"

:-)

You got that right!  I recently was helping my daughter with a studio shoot and was trying to focus her Pentax 67 and her 4x5 and I found it almost impossible!

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:09 am »

I'm 69, have *less than perfect vision and yet still prefer manual focus to autofocus lenses. I find rangefinder focusing of manual lenses easiest and quickest and my method of choice but unsurprisingly focusing via EVF or LCD the most accurate.

*I wear specs for close and distance correction, have macular degeneration and have experienced retinal transient ischaemic attacks (now in the past thanks to a carotid endarterectomy).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:13:27 am by KLaban »

lowep

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 11:42:05 am »

I wonder what percentage of medium format digital camera users are over 60?
Would not be surprised if the percentage over 50 that would include me is quite high.

pschefz

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »

both the X1D and GFX actually have very precise AF...might not be the fastest but especially for situations like static objects or landscape it is great to be able to simply point where you want focus and shoot...it will be much faster and easier then manual focus....i use the GFX in studio like i used to shoot my MF fujis and mamiyas....set focus and shoot, only now i set AF, switch to MF, shoot until whoever mans the monitor tells me to check again.....but most of the time i dont even have to do go to MF anymore....
eye AF is crazy and amazing....and anyone telling me that they can get continuous sharp focus at f1.4 on a twirling model with a manual lens is my hero...
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up