Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SD cards...  (Read 2514 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
SD cards...
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:20:27 pm »

For those of you still doubting about the importance of double memory slots in camera, I have just had 2 Lexar 128GB 1000x SD cards die on me within 2 days of each others...

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: SD cards...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:58:29 am »

That’s a bad thing to happen. A bit unusual I would think but it’s a thing. I have had two CF cards fail at on me but so far not one SD ever. Luck I guess. Remarkable when you think of the level of reliability.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 04:27:51 pm »

How dead are the cards? My slot 1 SD in my A7iii became unreadable ~6 weeks ago after taking a really long time to save a particular file. The camera couldn't even recognize it as a valid card and wouldn't let me reformat it.

But…I could read all the files with SD readers. And I was able to reformat it too, after which the Sony could see it again. A second reformat in the A7iii was successful and it's been fine since. I think the camera wrote some bad proprietary filesystem data to it. Naughty Sony!

-Dave-

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:36:30 pm »

I would have a hard time trusting that card again.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:35:33 am »

For those of you still doubting about the importance of double memory slots in camera, I have just had 2 Lexar 128GB 1000x SD cards die on me within 2 days of each others...

Cheers,
Bernard

Died in what way ?  Some more information and context would be helpful Bernard.

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:56:47 am »

Cheers,
Bernard
Could be worse. If I had 2 XQD cards die on me i'd be in tears :-(

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:32:20 pm »

I would have a hard time trusting that card again.

I'm 99% positive the issue wasn't the card but rather the camera. It's had way more files written to it post-corruption (and after a camera firmware update) than before. Cero problemas.

-Dave-

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:27 am »

2 SD cards dying within a day of each other points to something other than the SD cards as the cause...  camera, card reader, cable, user error, not ejecting a card from a computer properly but rather just pulling it out without ejecting, etc, etc, etc...

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:35:10 pm »

2 cards is a nice thing to have. During my first more trip with a Fuji X-T2 I had one of the Lexar cards (I think identical to yours) become somehow corrupted as in the camera was not able to write on it when it was in slot 2, but was still able to read it. I think it was a bug on Fuji which subsequently got fixed but it was very comforting that I can still shoot and yet not worry I'll lose all the data.

Two23

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 08:03:18 pm »

My number one requirement for a camera to photo weddings is two card slots, set up for mutual back up.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:57:32 pm »

We can all speculate about the cause of Bernard's problem, card, camera, reader, computer. But Bernard's point is to have TWO CARDS in the camera writing simultaneously to both, instant backup. I agree, two cards failing in such a short time makes me want to look at a cause other than the card(s), but regardless, having a backup is important protection. I've said it many times, many ways, but there are two kinds of people, those who back up, and those who will lose data. With today's relatively inexpensive, large cards, especially something like a 128GB, the need to have extra space in the camera, as in overflow to a second card, is minimal.

bassman51

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:45:39 pm »

We can all speculate about the cause of Bernard's problem, card, camera, reader, computer. But Bernard's point is to have TWO CARDS in the camera writing simultaneously to both, instant backup. I agree, two cards failing in such a short time makes me want to look at a cause other than the card(s), but regardless, having a backup is important protection. I've said it many times, many ways, but there are two kinds of people, those who back up, and those who will lose data. With today's relatively inexpensive, large cards, especially something like a 128GB, the need to have extra space in the camera, as in overflow to a second card, is minimal.

There are two kinds of people: those who’ve had a storage device fail, and those that will.

I’m sadly in the first category, but have been saved by redundancy each time.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:40 pm »

Have never had any real problems with cards and always used Sandisk.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BAB

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

both cards um time for a new recording device! but got your meaning. What Camera were you using? BTW?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 08:14:40 pm »

both cards um time for a new recording device! but got your meaning. What Camera were you using? BTW?

Same batch from Lexar. One used outside cameras as a memory stick, the second one in a D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

donbga

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:37 pm »

Same batch from Lexar. One used outside cameras as a memory stick, the second one in a D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

So are you dumping your vaunted Nikon D850?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:12 pm »

So are you dumping your vaunted Nikon D850?

Why would I?

Do you dump your car when you have a flat tire on the highway?

Cheers,
Bernard

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 07:58:54 pm »

I have about 40 CF cards I take on a shoot (4gb to 32gb - I use them like rolls of film). Over the past 10 years, I’ve had about 3 or 4 go bad or become unreadable (though my software usually is able to recover, then I chuck them). Usually it’s been the cheap we ones. About 4 yrs ago, I “standardizes” on Lexar without an issue. Definitely the cards if both were from the same batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up