Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF 8300 hardware error 03800500-2F42  (Read 14254 times)

LLennox

Canon IPF 8300 hardware error 03800500-2F42
« on: June 29, 2018, 04:42:41 pm »

I have a six year old Canon 8300.  I started getting lines in my prints.  Head Cleaning A or B results in the above hardware error code, requiring the printer to be turned off and on.  Previously, when I've needed a new printhead, I've gotten that particular message, i.e. Replace Printhead L or Replace Printhead R.   A nozzle check test print looks fine except that an ENTIRE "block" of red on the right printhead is missing.  I've been getting around this buy doing Head Cleaning A.  It doesn't change the result of the Nozzle Check print, but my prints look OK.  Is this a no-brainer?  Should I simply replace the Right print head (which is newer than the left print head, by the way).  Also, I don't see a way to disable the sleep mode on my printer.  I am not printing as often as in previous years, but I don't see a way to keep the printer on constantly so it agitates the ink when needed.  In the sleep timer menu, I can't seem to deselect all choices.  Thanks for any help.

deanwork

Re: Canon IPF 8300 hardware error 03800500-2F42
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:04:25 pm »

YES YES YES

Your head is gone. Do not keep turning the printer off and on and doing head cleanings. This heats up your head board and will blow it. Then you’ve got a $1,500.00 repair bill. I’ve been there. Believe me.

I would turn it off and order the head.

I’ve been using this same printer for over 8 years and it has been the most dependable printer I’ve ever owned. The more recent ones have cheaper components as far as I’m concerned, made in China not Japan. I’ll keep mine restored just as long as parts are available.

I have a six year old Canon 8300.  I started getting lines in my prints.  Head Cleaning A or B results in the above hardware error code, requiring the printer to be turned off and on.  Previously, when I've needed a new printhead, I've gotten that particular message, i.e. Replace Printhead L or Replace Printhead R.   A nozzle check test print looks fine except that an ENTIRE "block" of red on the right printhead is missing.  I've been getting around this buy doing Head Cleaning A.  It doesn't change the result of the Nozzle Check print, but my prints look OK.  Is this a no-brainer?  Should I simply replace the Right print head (which is newer than the left print head, by the way).  Also, I don't see a way to disable the sleep mode on my printer.  I am not printing as often as in previous years, but I don't see a way to keep the printer on constantly so it agitates the ink when needed.  In the sleep timer menu, I can't seem to deselect all choices.  Thanks for any help.

LLennox

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:08:51 pm »

Thank you.  I think I did maybe 3 Head Cleanings -- at the beginning of each work day after the first print of the day printed with lines.  So hopefully I have not damaged anything.  Printouts are fine until the printer is inactive overnight.  I will order a new print head and refrain from printing until the head gets here.  I am in southern Maine and this is our 3rd large format Canon printer in about 11 years.  We never had a maintenance contract.  It seems to be a best-kept secret as to where the technicians are actually located and how far they'd have to travel to service our printer.  I seem to remember that when we bought the first Canon in 2007, we were told the closest technician was in the NYC/NJ area.  When our previous Canon came to a clunking end with a hardware error and I could do absolutely nothing with the printer other than turn it off and on, we figured it was time to get a new printer.  I.e. we might pay a third of the cost of a new one just getting someone here to service it.  I hope I can eek more life out of this printer, which has been quite problem free.  I have replaced heads, and the maintenance kit and maybe the cutter.  I print on matte papers, heavy watercolor papers, baryta and canvas.  I've gotten our money's worth out of it.  Glad to hear yours is still going after 8 years.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 01:16:54 am »

There is a big misconception about thermal head printers from many of us who initially came to them a decade ago after many years of using Epson piezo heads. With our Epsons we are constantly doing head cleanings, especially with matte rag roll media. It’s not uncommon to have to do 3 or 4 cleanings in a day when doing large prints, often because one channel has a little missing segment. With the Canon and HP units if I have to do more than one cleaning, which itself is extremely rare, and I mean almost never within a year or two, it means the head is bad. What happens with the Canons you and I are using is we are right in the middle of a job and just want to finish it without stopping for a couple of days and spending $450.00 on a new head. But that is the huge mistake that so many people make. I’ve talked to several people who threw away perfectly great printers because they burned the head board when they didn’t stop and order the head. The error messages are also confusing. They should flash STOP Replace your head unit.

After my big mistake 5 years ago I had it all explained to me by a really good phone support guy. I said well it would have been nice to know all this when I bought the machine. He said your right, so many people have gone through that and how can we blame you for not knowing. That should be up front in the user manual that comes with the sale.

Thank you.  I think I did maybe 3 Head Cleanings -- at the beginning of each work day after the first print of the day printed with lines.  So hopefully I have not damaged anything.  Printouts are fine until the printer is inactive overnight.  I will order a new print head and refrain from printing until the head gets here.  I am in southern Maine and this is our 3rd large format Canon printer in about 11 years.  We never had a maintenance contract.  It seems to be a best-kept secret as to where the technicians are actually located and how far they'd have to travel to service our printer.  I seem to remember that when we bought the first Canon in 2007, we were told the closest technician was in the NYC/NJ area.  When our previous Canon came to a clunking end with a hardware error and I could do absolutely nothing with the printer other than turn it off and on, we figured it was time to get a new printer.  I.e. we might pay a third of the cost of a new one just getting someone here to service it.  I hope I can eek more life out of this printer, which has been quite problem free.  I have replaced heads, and the maintenance kit and maybe the cutter.  I print on matte papers, heavy watercolor papers, baryta and canvas.  I've gotten our money's worth out of it.  Glad to hear yours is still going after 8 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up