Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The man in charge of the National Parks has his friggin' hat on backwards!  (Read 24795 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Well what is it you want?  and Why?

How is what I want at all relevant in this discussion about the deeds of Trump?

Isn’t your view, as the most faithful Trump supporter, a lot more relevant? At least you should hope that your views are relevant, shouldn’t you?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:19:28 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

China's a bigger threat to the west than Russia.  However, I think Trump's heart is into a Fortress America.  Sort of like a Trump Tower of international relations.  :)

Like a big wall financed by Europe? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

How is what I want at all relevant in this discussion about the deeds of Trump?

Isn’t your view, as the most faithful Trump supporter, a lot more relevant? At least you should hope that your views are relevant, shouldn’t you?

Cheers,
Bernard

This thread isn't only about the deeds of TRump or his thinking why he does things.  And while I appreciate you like to understand my views, I too want to know your views.  Otherwise you'll be like all the other Trump complainers.  Complaining about what he does without suggesting ways of solving problems on your own.  For example, North Korea.  So many complain that his meeting with Kim was stupid, won;t accomplish anything etc.   But what are their suggestions to prevent war and de-fang Kim?  They have none.  Even Obama did nothing kicking the can down the road.  There are always people sitting on the sidelines throwing tomatoes at others who are at least trying to solve problems.  People may not like what Trump does; sometimes I disagree with him as well.  But at least he's trying to do something.  Things are happening.  He may turn out to be the most consequential president in a long time.  (Duck.  Here come the tomatoes.)

BernardLanguillier

There are always people sitting on the sidelines throwing tomatoes at others who are at least trying to solve problems.  People may not like what Trump does; sometimes I disagree with him as well.  But at least he's trying to do something.

I don't believe that most of what he is doing is going in the right direction. Nor for the world (my selfish interest), nor for the US (my empathy for all my US and foreign friends living there).

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremyrh

Actually Greece would be better as the troops would love doing a tour in the Greek Isles. 

Greece's defence spending is so high because they have to defend themselves against a Turkey that is armed to the teeth by our good allies the US.  The US supported the fascist side in the Greek civil war, post 1945, so their military base was closed down by the Papandreou government and will not be opening again.

In fact the US troops anywhere serve only as a human tripwire to reassure the local population that if the Russian tanks roll in there will be US casualties that require a serious response.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Complaining about what he does without suggesting ways of solving problems on your own.  For example, North Korea.  So many complain that his meeting with Kim was stupid, won;t accomplish anything etc.   But what are their suggestions to prevent war and de-fang Kim? 
Ignore North Korea as it will implode at some point in the future as most totalitarian regimes.  It does not present any kind of security risk to the United States and all the efforts put into the recent "summit" only added to the legitimacy of the regime as is evident by the recent statements following Pompeo's visit.  The same thing happened with the former Soviet Union, and while popular lore has it that the 'Star Wars' threat announced by President Reagan was responsible for breaking it apart, more nuanced observers such as my good friend Murray Feshbach saw the writing on the wall much earlier.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos

This thread isn't only about the deeds of TRump or his thinking why he does things.  And while I appreciate you like to understand my views, I too want to know your views.  Otherwise you'll be like all the other Trump complainers.  Complaining about what he does without suggesting ways of solving problems on your own.  For example, North Korea.  So many complain that his meeting with Kim was stupid, won;t accomplish anything etc.   But what are their suggestions to prevent war and de-fang Kim?  They have none.  Even Obama did nothing kicking the can down the road.  There are always people sitting on the sidelines throwing tomatoes at others who are at least trying to solve problems.  People may not like what Trump does; sometimes I disagree with him as well.  But at least he's trying to do something.  Things are happening.  He may turn out to be the most consequential president in a long time.  (Duck.  Here come the tomatoes.)

Trump is trying to SOLVE problems? Okay, maybe he is but it sure is hard keeping it all straight when his pronouncements change every 5 minutes with no clear goal in sight.

As for him getting criticized, well, what was he expecting. He's the Prez of the US, criticism comes with the territory.

It must not be easy to keep making excuses for him after the long and seemingly never-ending trail of firings and resignations of people in important positions. Even you have to admit, these aren't good signs.

You keep mentioning N. Korea. What, EXACTLY, was his success there? Did N. Korea agree to dismantle their nuclear program and allow international inspectors on site. Because Iran did agree EXACTLY to that and was abiding by the terms. But Trump unilaterally threw out the Iran deal, and no one seems to know why or at least I've never heard a good explanation. These behaviours seem to me to be foreigner-bashing as distraction. When in doubt find an enemy overseas.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

I don't believe that most of what he is doing is going in the right direction. Nor for the world (my selfish interest), nor for the US (my empathy for all my US and foreign friends living there).

Cheers,
Bernard

If non-Americans don't like what America is doing, that means it must be good for America.  It's not personal.  I understand where you're coming from.  If I were a European for example, I'd be angry at some of the things Trump's doing too as he's going to cost me money and restrict access.  For example: 2% NATO means less social programs for Europeans, trying to lower your foreign tariffs on our exports, putting tariffs on your products like you do on ours, restrict and regulate immigration, building walls, opening up America to produce more American oil, reducing regulations to make our products cheaper against other countries', etc.

Of course he's doing some stuff like increasing military spending that is good for our allies as it assures more protection for you against an expanding Russia or China. 

The other policies are for domestic effect only (ie. Obamacare) and doesn't effect other countries. So non-American arguments against them is butting in to things that aren't any of your business. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Greece's defence spending is so high because they have to defend themselves against a Turkey that is armed to the teeth by our good allies the US.  The US supported the fascist side in the Greek civil war, post 1945, so their military base was closed down by the Papandreou government and will not be opening again.

In fact the US troops anywhere serve only as a human tripwire to reassure the local population that if the Russian tanks roll in there will be US casualties that require a serious response.

A lot of Americans have grown tired of being a trip wire in Europe and spending our blood and treasure on others who refuse to defend themselves. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Ignore North Korea as it will implode at some point in the future as most totalitarian regimes.  It does not present any kind of security risk to the United States and all the efforts put into the recent "summit" only added to the legitimacy of the regime as is evident by the recent statements following Pompeo's visit.  The same thing happened with the former Soviet Union, and while popular lore has it that the 'Star Wars' threat announced by President Reagan was responsible for breaking it apart, more nuanced observers such as my good friend Murray Feshbach saw the writing on the wall much earlier.

I agree with you that North Korea should just be left alone to stew in their own juices.  Starting a war doesn't make sense because I too agree they're not going to attack.  On the other hand, a nuclear armed Korea may encourage  other countries to develop the A bomb - Japan, etc.  DO we need more A bombs in the world?  Also, NK might sell their nuclear and missile technology to others, something none of us need. (ie Iran) I don;t think talking to them has much to lose even if nothing happens in the end.  If it does work, and we could reduce tensions more.  What's wrong with that?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Trump is trying to SOLVE problems? Okay, maybe he is but it sure is hard keeping it all straight when his pronouncements change every 5 minutes with no clear goal in sight.

As for him getting criticized, well, what was he expecting. He's the Prez of the US, criticism comes with the territory.

It must not be easy to keep making excuses for him after the long and seemingly never-ending trail of firings and resignations of people in important positions. Even you have to admit, these aren't good signs.

You keep mentioning N. Korea. What, EXACTLY, was his success there? Did N. Korea agree to dismantle their nuclear program and allow international inspectors on site. Because Iran did agree EXACTLY to that and was abiding by the terms. But Trump unilaterally threw out the Iran deal, and no one seems to know why or at least I've never heard a good explanation. These behaviours seem to me to be foreigner-bashing as distraction. When in doubt find an enemy overseas.

There's nothing confusing about what he's doing.  It's pretty much everything he said he do during the campaign.  Read my 8:16 post.

Regarding his staff, he's fired people who haven;t worked out or have become creatures of the Washington swamp like Pruitt.  That too was a campaign promise.   He's kept effective subordinates like Secr. of Defence Mattis,  and most of his economic advisers and added some others. 

jeremyrh

A lot of Americans have grown tired of being a trip wire in Europe and spending our blood and treasure on others who refuse to defend themselves.

Then you need to think a little harder, and understand that by defending Europe you defend yourselves. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Then you need to think a little harder, and understand that by defending Europe you defend yourselves. 

The only thing we would need to “defend ourselves” by defending Europe, is to defend Europe form the invasion. Human, not a tank one. But Europe is apparently working directly against us in that respect.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

I said: "A lot of Americans have grown tired of being a trip wire in Europe and spending our blood and treasure on others who refuse to defend themselves."   The fact is defending Europe does more for Europe then it does for us.  The Soviet Union is gone.  Russia is not seen as a threat to us.  Or you.  It appears you don;t seriously believe Russia is a threat.  You're dependent on them for oil and gas. They buy from you.  If they were such a threat, why does Germany and 22 other NATO countries scrimp on their military budgets?   You're taking advantage of America.    All this nonsense that America is safer is just a way to BS Americans into spending money on European defense and saving money for Europeans to spend on themselves for social services.  You could BS Obama, Hillary, and other past presidents, but not Trump the Cheapskate.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com

Unless what's left of its original people rise up and throw out the European establishment, all of Europe will be under Sharia law in two more generations. The United States won't be able to do a damn thing about this unless we send a (male) army over there to impregnate European women and put a stop to the rapid disappearance of Europe's current residents.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

Unless what's left of its original people rise up and throw out the European establishment, all of Europe will be under Sharia law in two more generations. The United States won't be able to do a damn thing about this unless we send a (male) army over there to impregnate European women and put a stop to the rapid disappearance of Europe's current residents.

The USA is a mongrel race therefore no pure racial continuation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

... unless we send a (male) army over there to impregnate European women...

Too late, Russ. Someone else has already sent that army ;)

jeremyrh

I said: "A lot of Americans have grown tired of being a trip wire in Europe and spending our blood and treasure on others who refuse to defend themselves."   The fact is defending Europe does more for Europe then it does for us.  The Soviet Union is gone.  Russia is not seen as a threat to us.  Or you.  It appears you don;t seriously believe Russia is a threat.  You're dependent on them for oil and gas. They buy from you.  If they were such a threat, why does Germany and 22 other NATO countries scrimp on their military budgets?   You're taking advantage of America.    All this nonsense that America is safer is just a way to BS Americans into spending money on European defense and saving money for Europeans to spend on themselves for social services.  You could BS Obama, Hillary, and other past presidents, but not Trump the Cheapskate.

Like I said elsewhere - Trump has managed to fool a certain segment of the electorate. Your choice.

Here in the real world we're dealing with the results of US foreign involvement in the middle east. I cant say that that little foray has done much for my safety.

jeremyrh

If non-Americans don't like what America is doing, that means it must be good for America. 

Brilliant logic, Alan.

jeremyrh

Unless what's left of its original people rise up and throw out the European establishment, all of Europe will be under Sharia law in two more generations..

A foolish comment, not least because most of the current immigration of Muslims into Europe is fuelled by US wars in Iraq and consequent upheaval in Syria.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up