Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The man in charge of the National Parks has his friggin' hat on backwards!  (Read 24965 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography

So it seems we all have a lot more in common then our political posts would indicate. Our computer pasts.  So my turn to brag a little.   After in left the USAF in 1967 installing and maintaining crypto machines that used bi-stable ferromagnetic cores for flip flops rather than silicon, I went to work for Univac installing maintaining and repair their Univac 494 system, including the magnetic tape drives, memory drums, modems transmissions and computer and memories.  The 494 was a competitor at the time to the computer Russ's mentioned: IBM 360.  While IBM was using bytes (32 bit words 4x8), Univac was using octal machines at the time, the 494 being 30 bit words (3x10).  Although I wasn't trained in programming I did understand how each instruction (ie shift left, replace, etc.) worked through it's dozens of timing operations.  You needed that for equipment maintenance.  I use to write programs though in machine language just to mess around.  Actually its depressing discussing these old machines. It shows how old we all are getting. 

I tried Google translate but it didn't recognise the language.

;-)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site

Anybody remember the 80 column punchcard?

I certainly do. I started programming in 1976 using PortaPunch cards, which were 40-column cards that you "punched" by knocking out pre-perforated chads with a pencil. I then moved on to punching 80-column cards using a cast-iron gadget with a dozen keys (one for each row) which had to be pressed in combination to create the characters, after I'd learned that, for example 0-2 was R and 0-3-8 was left parenthesis. We'd then post the deck from my school to Imperial College in London, where they'd be run through their CDC-7600 (run-time limit 15 seconds) and posted back to us, with the printed output, a week or so later.

It encouraged rather careful programming. An hour? Pah.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Jeremy
It makes me wonder if all the programmers trained over the past 15 years would have had the patience to do things the way it was done in the old days.  I still fool around with cryptography and am learning Python right now.  Instant gratification if the program runs or disappointment if it doesn't.  Even if things go a bit wrong, you usually get the error message(s) that allow you to make the corrections quickly.  There are also great GUI interfaces these days (currently I am using Atom) that make things a lot easier.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog

I certainly do. I started programming in 1976 using PortaPunch cards, which were 40-column cards that you "punched" by knocking out pre-perforated chads with a pencil. I then moved on to punching 80-column cards using a cast-iron gadget with a dozen keys (one for each row) which had to be pressed in combination to create the characters, after I'd learned that, for example 0-2 was R and 0-3-8 was left parenthesis. We'd then post the deck from my school to Imperial College in London, where they'd be run through their CDC-7600 (run-time limit 15 seconds) and posted back to us, with the printed output, a week or so later.

Jeremy

I don't know if it has encouraged careful programmimng. Picking up the computer error print-outs from the printer room, punching the new cards in another room and then carrying the heavy card boxes to yet another computer room wasn't exactly conducive to calm and productive thinking. It took me always more compile runs than anticipated.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

I don't know if it has encouraged careful programmimng. Picking up the computer error print-outs from the printer room, punching the new cards in another room and then carrying the heavy card boxes to yet another computer room wasn't exactly conducive to calm and productive thinking. It took me always more compile runs than anticipated.

How accurate is current programming?  People complain all the time about Lightroom etc.  And what about those apps on your phone, smart TV's etc? 

First off there are no clear instructions.  There seems to be industry aversion to providing clear and accurate manuals.  That's why we have so many forums for every piece of equipment and app.  People like me ignorant to the way the hardware and software is suppose to work posts to forum pages asking endless questions that often get answered by other ignorant people who are only slightly more knowledgeable then you.  Just when you get it working right, the company secretly updates the program while you're asleep so the problem is fixed but new problems are created.  Just when you're about the throw the whole thing overboard, the company comes out with an update that you're willing to pay for just to preserve your sanity and the whole thing starts over again.  You want to blow your brains out!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog

Programming and debugging was much more time consuming those days, but the programs were simple and they worked. And considering limited computer resources they were quite efficient.  Unlike the big bloated programs from major corporations today containing all kinds of fancy bells and whistles, and also all kinds of bugs and inefficient user dialogues.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com

Oh come on, Les. Are you talking about all those "features?"
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

You mean like in my Sony camera's menu?  By the time you change to the settings you want, the sun set. :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

You mean like in my Sony camera's menu?  By the time you change to the settings you want, the sun set. :)
As a new Sony owner, no such problems for me.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frans Waterlander

As a new Sony owner, no such problems for me.

Well, good for you!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog

Yeah, must be "features", since mentioning bugs in software products is nowadays non-admissible.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com

Never was when it was a "product." Only when it was "in development."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Goldhammer

Never was when it was a "product." Only when it was "in development."
Didn't Adobe say that Lightroom is always "in development?"  Maybe that explains it all.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Well, good for you!
Yeah can walk, chew gum and read a nozzle check at the same time unlike those who cannot read a nozzle check even with the aid of others!  :P
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=124550.msg1042775#msg1042775
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:55:21 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Farmer

one of the things I discovered at the college was that when it comes to programming, you either have it or you don't. It's sort of like musical ability. It's something you're born with -- or not.

And there are two types of people who get it.  Those who want to do it all the time and those who use it just as a tool as and when required.  I'm in the tool user group.  That's how I got into REXX, because Amiga had an implementation of it (AREXX) and most software on the Amiga had an AREXX port for communication, meaning you could (and I did) structure a whole lot of automation between various packages to do things like tossing email and processing attachments and routing and many other things.  Someone who wants to do it all the time creates stuff just for the hell of it, to be creative.  Programming is about understanding process and being able to logically identify problems and patterns and then logically solve them or process them in a desired manner.  The language is secondary (although obviously the better you know a language the more fluent your code will be).  To be a little more on topic, if you want to be the head of the USNPS you should probably have enough passion for it to look at the hat long enough to ask questions about how it should be worn.  Or at least be functional enough with hats to realise they have a front and back :-)
Phil Brown

Farmer

Anybody remember the 80 column punchcard?

Only because in 5th grade we had a very attractive student teacher who was doing some CS as well as her teaching degree and she brought the cards in for us to see (1980).  We did end up punching up a bunch of them and got to have them run - she organised an excursion to her Uni and we had got a tour of the computers and they ran the cards to create printouts.
Phil Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Hats off to all you computer geeks. Backwards or not ;)

Alan Goldhammer

Hats off to all you computer geeks. Backwards or not ;)
Now if Secretary Zinke had a baseball cap on backwards that would have been OK!!! ;D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site

A feature is a documented bug, Russ. Everyone knows that  ;)

Jeremy

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography

Being someone who can't really go on without wilderness I'm disgusted with Zinke. I just returned from being out for 5 nights hiking 9-10 miles a day.  It was wonderful not having internet or a phone.  What is really hard is seeing the low morale in many Park Service Employees.  I can't blame em.  Jeff you might want to check out  https://www.facebook.com/AltUSNationalParkService/ 

Can you imagine what Ansel would have thought about the new administration? 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:31:05 pm by HSakols »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up